• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad News - R.I.P. Richard Olson - Yellow Kid
6 6

79 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, Robot Man said:

The guy told them to sit on the couch and offered them some wine. Rich said they both just kept pouring it behind the couch as the guy brought out the books.

Leonard noticed a large stack of MAD #1s but they guy said they were not for sale. So when he wasn’t looking, Leonard grabbed a big handful and buried them in his box.

They went out and basically paid the very drunk guy a fixed price per box, loaded them up and took off laughing over their good fortune.

Rich said it was probably the best find he had ever gotton.

:frown:

On 5/8/2023 at 10:26 AM, sfcityduck said:

Well, no one knew himself as well as he did.  He sent me an article he wrote about Leonard Brown and Malcolm Willits.  He clearly was very proud of the association he had with them, although he did not hide that he largely exited their story due to the choices he made to pursue his academic and professional pursuits.  He sent me this article he wrote about them:

image.jpeg.12ba003b2e48b9fa8dd25a58ea7463c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca8363c3d3fcaa6aaeb4fb6e6e4783a8.jpeg

image.jpeg.339f6dd88cb49744116a64544609b75a.jpeg

image.jpeg.5d855ca0c8140c8e6d6eb56229569e25.jpeg

Rich shared some very interesting stories about Malcolm Willits and Rick Durrell; suffice to say some better not told. One interesting story though is that Malcolm was apparently featured on a cable program (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous perhaps) that showed off his house and collections. It would be really fascinating to get a copy of that show.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, sfcityduck said:

The US #6 isn't rare except in higher grades.  The problem is that during production, the cover was cut larger than the interior, so any kind of use would result in edge bends and tears.  Heritage recently had a CGC 6.5 and you could see the start of problems across the top edge.  It also looked like it might have had some staining or browning, and I passed on it.  I have a decent copy but would like one comparable to the FC #456 [which I'd sold him - a 9.4 white].  At the moment, I think the top of the Census is 8.0, but I'm sure there is a great copy out there in some old collector's set.

Wow, that takes me back a bit. I had a similar exchange with Rich about 2010, when I was searching for a suitable copy of Uncle Scrooge #6. I'd joined Heritage a month or two after that auction and figured I'd find another similar book soon enough. Ten years and no nice copies coming across my radar later... a boardie sold me that same copy that I'd missed at Heritage. I cracked it out, and I'd say that Rich had a very good eye. The copy is nice enough, but the interior covers are indeed a bit toasty! There's still no census copy above 8.0 and my 6.5 is still tied for seventh place. I assume that Rich never found that 9.x copy he wanted.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:26 AM, sfcityduck said:

Well, no one knew himself as well as he did.  He sent me an article he wrote about Leonard Brown and Malcolm Willits.  He clearly was very proud of the association he had with them, although he did not hide that he largely exited their story due to the choices he made to pursue his academic and professional pursuits.  He sent me this article he wrote about them:

image.jpeg.12ba003b2e48b9fa8dd25a58ea7463c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca8363c3d3fcaa6aaeb4fb6e6e4783a8.jpeg

image.jpeg.339f6dd88cb49744116a64544609b75a.jpeg

image.jpeg.5d855ca0c8140c8e6d6eb56229569e25.jpeg

It's so touching to read an article about the early days of the hobby, written by one passionate man remembering another, both now lost.

I guffawed at the passage describing how other aspiring dealers hunted down 'the naked man' only to find everything he'd collected already vanished [presumably to reappear later in the vault]. He names a couple of these aspirants, one of them not entirely unknown to me,and writes, 'It couldn't have happened to more appropriate people.' Shades of Richard Chandler!

Seeing Brown and Wilts dressed like FBI agents [before they switched to slacks and sneakers], reminded me of the day some 10 years ago, when I flew in from the UK to Houston to meet my fellow boardies Richard Evans and Billy Parker for the first time, only to find them strangely not dressed like FBI agents. [Needless to say, the suit I'd worn to impress them languished in my suitcase for the rest of my visit.]

As Rich Olson would certainly have known, 'Know thyself' is one of the maxims inscribed in the forecourt of the temple at Delphi, and his oracular certainty of his path is, like the oracle, a proof that he made good life choices and didn't regret them.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

This is sad news.  I won't repeat everything Robot Man and everyone else has said, but I enjoyed my chats with Richard very much.  He sent me a lot of material pertaining to the early days of collecting in Los Angeles and the history of Collector's Books. 

R.I.P. Richard

:angel: