• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 11:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

So if a dealer has a Batman Adventures #12 and he thinks its a 9.8 if he got it graded, but now wants to sell it Raw.

Are you saying that people will pay 9.8 prices for it raw? 

Truly missed this in my alerts. 

9.8's will probably be graded to maximize return on what that book could bring compared to a 9.6.

However, do you think that there will be as many people submitting mid to lower high grade copies of silver and gold in that 3.5-7.5 range?   People will price accordingly instead of bothering with CGC like they were submitting so much ten years ago.   There are more of those books that used to benefit from being submitted.  As a couple of dealers have stated when it comes to CGC perhaps it no longer serves a purpose to submit those books as their reputations have allowed them to back up a grade on those books. 

Before you say then that they have benefited from CGC remember something that does not make anyone owe CGC anything.  They exist in my world in the manner that serves the individual best. 

On 5/19/2023 at 4:38 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

They are fixing problems for free, just giving you 14-days to inform them.

Your statement is making it sound like they are not going to do anything if a slab gets cracked in the mail from them to you.

I had some books that were well past the 14 day mark they were okay fixing a few months back including atrocious newton rings. Another was 2 years old and not an original submission (debris). I had to hold off on sending due to some personal issues taking over my life around the same time, so knowing I could follow up later, I put it lower on my priority. Followed up about two months ago and they denied me on all. I had to argue about their stated policy along with my prior conversation before they let me send in some. In the end I was still denied one which was previously approved.

So yeah, the fact they're 180ing on their stated policy is a problem.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:58 PM, Robert_L said:

Just so you know, any books currently in their pipeline for newton rings WILL NOT get a new case unless you wish to pay for it. Even for books in their facility before the announcement. 
I was just contacted via email about 16 books out of 76. This is something that really irks me, as they were sent out well before the announcement. 

I would encourage you to ask to speak to the higher ups about pushing those through. That's outrageous.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:26 PM, I like pie said:

I would encourage you to ask to speak to the higher ups about pushing those through. That's outrageous.

Won't matter.  Blackstone now believes they are simply entitled to your money without providing any semblance of quality service. As there is no viable competition it will get worse, this is only tip of iceberg stuff.  The only solution is to stop submitting and just as importantly stop purchasing their slabs regardless of the seller. If their black ink ever starts to sniff red the exec's will need to cowardly shield their large ill-gotten bonus' by selling off the CGC division, which frankly is probably the best thing that could happen.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thanks boss.

It's BECAUSE I do not like the direction of the company that I am using their message boards. 

I am using them.  

Now, they might get content that pumps up the relevance of their message board through google which draws eyes to the product by my comment.  However, the amount of money I have made from using the CGC message boards far outweighs what they have received from me since I last submitted books in May of 2020. 

Since then:

• I've used these boards to gain information to make more educated purchases.
  • I've used these boards to spread knowledge and make others aware of non affiliated products.  Remember posting a link in a toy thread or for a Hasbro preorder might not mean it's a direct competitor of CGC but it does mean that I am swaying money away from CGC.  What's CGC's competition?  Everything in collecting.  For every possible dollar spent on the latest Transformer, Lego or Star Wars toy, that is a dollar NOT spent on grading by someone who obviously enjoys both. 
  • I've used these boards for a lot of for sale threads.  I mean... a lot.
  • I've used these boards to house images or organize sales threads for other places such as FB or other message boards that may not have image hosting capabilities. 
  • I've used these boards to maintain relationships with quite a few collectors that I enjoy connecting with. 
  • I've used these boards for sheer entertainment and knowledge of the hobby. 

I guess you could say that I am basically an economic drain to CGC.  Cool 

But until I see improvements in products and service I can continue doing what I want to do here, which is to continue doing what I do. 

roman-reigns-one.gif.302d83631b5951cff4cc2be7eff71bdd.gif

On 5/20/2023 at 1:02 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Lol 😂 

Someone who has seen your comment doesn’t seem to be himself.  “He’s gone through a lot.  He’s going through a lot. He’s just not himself right now. That’s it okay?  He’s just not.  Lately, he just hasn’t been very… ucey.”

On 5/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, Tnexus said:

I had some books that were well past the 14 day mark they were okay fixing a few months back including atrocious newton rings. Another was 2 years old and not an original submission (debris). I had to hold off on sending due to some personal issues taking over my life around the same time, so knowing I could follow up later, I put it lower on my priority. Followed up about two months ago and they denied me on all. I had to argue about their stated policy along with my prior conversation before they let me send in some. In the end I was still denied one which was previously approved.

So yeah, the fact they're 180ing on their stated policy is a problem.

That is just something they are no longer willing to accommodate.

They want the original submitter to properly inform them of any errors within that 14-day time frame.  I understand personal events can sometimes up, however for the vast majority of the time 14-days is more than enough time to open and box and inspect the itmes.

I mean there is whole thread about "Just back from CGC" and "Current TaT's at CGC," most of the time people are dying to get their books back, especially personal ones. 

Personally again I like this new ME move, you are opposed. So as always you have 3 choices to pick from that I have stated many times before. 

CGC feels this is best for their company going forward, while others say this will negatively impact their company.  Only time will tell.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, Buzzetta said:

Truly missed this in my alerts. 

9.8's will probably be graded to maximize return on what that book could bring compared to a 9.6.

However, do you think that there will be as many people submitting mid to lower high grade copies of silver and gold in that 3.5-7.5 range?   People will price accordingly instead of bothering with CGC like they were submitting so much ten years ago.   There are more of those books that used to benefit from being submitted.  As a couple of dealers have stated when it comes to CGC perhaps it no longer serves a purpose to submit those books as their reputations have allowed them to back up a grade on those books. 

Before you say then that they have benefited from CGC remember something that does not make anyone owe CGC anything.  They exist in my world in the manner that serves the individual best. 

I was not sure if you were making the point that dealers were now selling raw 9.6 and 9.8 prices and getting it.

I have seen people on here stating they are now selling their CGC candidates raw instead of submitting them.  Either way all those dealers are just letting someone else submit those books to CGC.  CGC still wins and receives that submission, that's what I am getting at.

Everything else you bring up is separate topic all together. Can you give me an example of what are referring to price accordingly instead now?

On 5/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

That is just something they are no longer willing to accommodate.

They want the original submitter to properly inform them of any errors within that 14-day time frame.  I understand personal events can sometimes up, however for the vast majority of the time 14-days is more than enough time to open and box and inspect the itmes.

I mean there is whole thread about "Just back from CGC" and "Current TaT's at CGC," most of the time people are dying to get their books back, especially personal ones. 

Personally again I like this new ME move, you are opposed. So as always you have 3 choices to pick from that I have stated many times before. 

CGC feels this is best for their company going forward, while others say this will negatively impact their company.  Only time will tell.

This is the cause and effect, and I believe the only way that CGC will truly be able to view the bottom line. Given they've made allowances thus far, I'd still believe if it is turning down the road they'll revamp again. While I'm not as positive about this move to be vocal, I believe this isn't the end, and I just feel bad for the interim that get them back defective. Big picture would be say it's not black and white, and more perhaps, to be continued....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, Tony S said:

Wow!  A lot here..... I don't even want to read all 14 pages even though some are members whose posts I always enjoy. Maybe later

CGC's new policy is bad.  14 days isn't long enough. If there is spoon in the holder  or the labels are wrong CGC should WANT TO fix it, no matter who currently owns the book. Does CGC really want defective product out in the market?  Every single slab graded by CGC is an advertisement for CGC when sold.  They should want it to be positive advertising. 

In your opinion how long should CGC allow the customer to return a CGC book with a broken case from shipment, debris in holder, or very impactful case scratches?

I do tend to agree with others that mistaken labels that should have no limit.  I do feel they will tweak this rule in the new future.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is the cause and effect, and I believe the only way that CGC will truly be able to view the bottom line. Given they've made allowances thus far, I'd it still is turning down the road they'll revamp again. While I'm not as positive about this move to be vocal, I believe this isn't the end, and I just feel bad for the interim that get them back defective. Big picture would be say it's not black and white, and more perhaps, to be continued....

Yes, everyone just needs to see how this plays out.  They very well can re-vamp some of their stances whenever they want.  Maybe they will, only time will tell.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Now I am on tilt cause you used this bum lol

WWE died from me when John Cena become "the guy." 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I was not sure if you were making the point that dealers were now selling raw 9.6 and 9.8 prices and getting it.

I have seen people on here stating they are now selling their CGC candidates raw instead of submitting them.  Either way all those dealers are just letting someone else submit those books to CGC.  CGC still wins and receives that submission, that's what I am getting at.

Everything else you bring up is separate topic all together. Can you give me an example of what are referring to price accordingly instead now?

You are still presuming that the buyers of those books are submitting them to CGC.  I can assure you that myself and others have not.

In the last two years I have picked up numerous first appearances, golden age books, crime and horror books.  They have been purchased raw from other collectors with quite a few over these boards.  Some I purchased from MCS... they are still raw.  The collectors who sold me those books had their opportunity to send them to CGC.  They chose to sell them raw. 

You seemingly keep touting a line that eventually all raw books of any significant value will make their way to CGC. 

That does not seem to be happening in the way that it occurred in the past. 

On 5/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

As for when and if I will submit books to them.  When I am officially going to cash out and get rid of it all, I will submit some books to CGC if there is not a worthy competitor.    However, I do not trust what I and many others consider an inferior product as well as submission rules that do not benefit nor back up their product combined with their gross quality control.  Two weeks is a joke compared to their inability to control their own turn around times and seemingly inability to not damage books during the encapsulation process. 

Before I answer your 2-week statement.  Are referring to their current ME TaT's right now or their grading TaT's or both?

You can pretty much assume for the rest of your life they will have no worthy competitor.  I feel that time has passed, and the current one is a failure on so many levels.  They missed their opportunity.   For all those reasons when you decide to sell some of your best books you will 100% use CGC again for their services to max our your profit margin just like everyone else.  Hence all this complaining goes right out the window.

This is probably where we differ the most you because you think the boardies who are agreeing with represent the vast majority and I am saying they represent the vast minority of the hobby.