• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #1 CGC 3.0 resto removed?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 12:27 PM, clarkkentdds said:

This same book sold in 2009 with a universal grade but notes of minor color touch and glue...Interesting that the consignor still scraped the color even though it had a universal grade. I prefer the original with minor color and glue. And it still had a universal grade.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white pages....Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #1 (DC, 1939) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white pages....

Wow, that is pretty shocking.  Usually when someone gets a restored book in a blue label they consider it a win.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:03 AM, MrBedrock said:

Hideous and shameful, and really mind-boggling, that the participants in this hobby have established a market where a CGC graded 3.0 with scraped off color is valued significantly higher than the same book with the color touch present.

As someone relatively new to this hobby, its hangup over restoration, especially for golden age books, is rather annoying

It would be one thing to remove the color touch if it was poorly done and then get it restored professionally.

But THIS, this is an abomination.

The fact that someone would ask for this is bad enough.  That someone that makes a living off the hobby (that you would think has some respect for the hobby) would agree to do it is worse.

This is the kind of thing that confirms all the negatives; that it is all about making as much money as possible.

How the heck can there not be any Grader's Notes?  Any book that has restoration removal (especially if it was done by CGC) should have it noted.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, 10centcomics said:

Scrapping off CT should be viewed in the same light as trimming. Shameful and I hope grading companies will disincentivize it in the future.

Exactly, or a tear or bullet hole etc.,  If have a 1" piece missing from the cover can I say, well there used to be color touch there?  This example, on this book, is really demented.

The Goldin Supes #1 CGC 1.5 had some terrible color touch removal on the back cover as well. Label still reads small amount of color touch and glue. I guess whomever removed it met the threshold for a blue label.