• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller sold an incomplete book to me - How would you respond?
10 10

304 posts in this topic

You don't have to inspect things that come with warranties. 60+ year old comics do not come with warranties. All collectibles need to be thoroughly checked out for authenticity, completeness, defects,  etc.

If  CGC still had 1 year turn around times, you'd be waiting another 10 months to find out it was incomplete. 

On 5/23/2023 at 2:54 PM, buttock said:

When I first read this I felt some sympathy for your situation, but the way you're responding to people who are giving you solid advice has eliminated that.  There's an answer that you want, and there's an answer that you'll get.  If those two things don't match, arguing until you get the answer you want doesn't work.  

Sorry you took it that way. I already admitted my fault in this thread by not inspecting the book when I recieved it. But does this relieve the seller of all responsibility and puts 100% of the fault on me? That's is what some posters on this forum have been saying. I don't think so and that is what I have been stating. The seller still bears some responsibility. I asked the seller to confirm the comic book was complete. I did some due diligence, just not as much as I should have. I am partially responsible for this mess, not just 100% as some posters suggest. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

60+ year old comics do not come with warranties.

Oh yes they do when the seller warrants something about the 60 year old comic to be true. 

Warranty - (in contract law) a promise that something in furtherance of the contract is guaranteed by one of the contractors, especially the seller's promise that the thing being sold is as promised or represented

Edited by O Doyle Rules

The thread has diverged somewhat from the post, quite early on, that said eBay were contacting the seller. You have to let the eBay process (whatever that may be after all the time that has elapsed,) take its course. It may yet pan out for you but patience is required. I have to say, if I'd bought a comic I'd want to peek inside even if it was only once before going off to be graded. Hope things work out well for you. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:14 PM, Mr. Bombastic said:

What are your options at this point if you're outside ebay's timeframes to file a claim and the seller has gone dark?  Did you already leave feedback on ebay

No good options. Have to hope that the seller responds. Outside of time to leave feedback. eBay agrees with me it appears and they say they will suspend his account if he does not attempt to make things right. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:15 PM, ThothAmon said:

I’m not a lawyer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night so I’d agree with your warranty analysis. If the Seller is a dealer he should refund purchase price but not any of cgc’ s fees. 

Finally, a voice of reason! Thank you Sir! 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:20 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

The thread has diverged somewhat from the post, quite early on, that said eBay were contacting the seller. You have to let the eBay process (whatever that may be after all the time that has elapsed,) take its course. It may yet pan out for you but patience is required. I have to say, if I'd bought a comic I'd want to peek inside even if it was only once before going off to be graded. Hope things work out well for you. 

Another voice of reason! Thank you Sir! I am hopeful that eBay backs me up on this. I hate to see the seller get his account suspended, but at this point that may be a likely result if he does not start to communicate with me which leads to some sort of resolution. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:28 PM, Dr. Love said:

Ebay handle of seller please.

At this point, I do not feel comfortable doing so. I really like to give people the benefit of the doubt and second chances.The seller at first said he made an honest mistake. His decision now not to communicate though is very troubling. I will post updates to the conclusion of this saga. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

At this point, I do not feel comfortable doing so. I really like to give people the benefit of the doubt and second chances.The seller at first said he made an honest mistake. His decision now not to communicate though is very troubling. I will post updates to the conclusion of this saga. 

That's the classy move. Give him a chance to make it right.

Clearly the seller messed up and with the what sounds like pretty decent feedback . Your right about asking if all the pages are there ,  nothing clipped out or cut out and he told you it was a complete book . I understand he offered a 100.00 dollars back as a partial refund but you did not inspect the book before sending off to CGC which is clearly a mistake on your part but since the mistake lands on you and the seller from both ways how about offering a refund of the difference between the 100 and the purchase price of the book and shipping and shipping it back on you . Its not perfect but its not like you have to take the sellers offer and lump it .Its negotiating the problem between the 2 parties which technically speaking are both at fault and each other absorbing the pain of the transaction . Good luck !

P.S.   @O Doyle Rules    if things don't work out your way, you can always ask Ebay to reconsider the 30 day guarantee in your case because you had to send the item to an impartial 3rd party (CGC) in order to see if the seller misrepresented the item.   Also, throw in some language that you "relied on his promise" that the book was complete.  Worth a shot.

Edited by eastriver400