• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are falling prices creating "deals" for you?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, Robot Man said:

I don't remember seeing any of the ones I look for (PCH) being water damaged. But many, although structural very nice, have lower page quality from being stored inside cardboard boxes. 

Yes, there was that too... many have pages in the cream range.  Still gorgeous though...

On 6/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, 2Sunny said:

You won't believe this but I actually went to college with Rachel,  and she was just as dead pan back then.  I had 2 years of German with her.  Of course,  that was a loooong time ago though, hah!

And, not to worry as the good Doctor is most certainly correct that the books will trade below what I paid, but as a "collector" who really doesn't plan on ever selling anything (at least that's how I'm feeling now) I'm just ecstatic that a whole bunch of books are 50% or more below where they were a little over a year ago thus putting them in range for me.  In the end it let's me collect a few more names with the same budget.  I've been salivating at the mouth for over a year now waiting for a serious "pull back" so I could buy some stuff.  Now if FF1 would just fall another 80% maybe I could afford a decent copy, LOL!!

That brings to mind a question I have had for some time.  Has anyone ever run a poll on the forum to see the range of values people's collections are?  I figure it's probably considered inappropriate to ask, but my guess is serious folks on this board have 7 figures easy tied up in comics. 

You go first…:busy:

On 6/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, 2Sunny said:

You won't believe this but I actually went to college with Rachel,  and she was just as dead pan back then.  I had 2 years of German with her.  Of course,  that was a loooong time ago though, hah!

And, not to worry as the good Doctor is most certainly correct that the books will trade below what I paid, but as a "collector" who really doesn't plan on ever selling anything (at least that's how I'm feeling now) I'm just ecstatic that a whole bunch of books are 50% or more below where they were a little over a year ago thus putting them in range for me.  In the end it let's me collect a few more names with the same budget.  I've been salivating at the mouth for over a year now waiting for a serious "pull back" so I could buy some stuff.  Now if FF1 would just fall another 80% maybe I could afford a decent copy, LOL!!

That brings to mind a question I have had for some time.  Has anyone ever run a poll on the forum to see the range of values people's collections are?  I figure it's probably considered inappropriate to ask, but my guess is serious folks on this board have 7 figures easy tied up in comics. 

No judgement here. I’d wager I’d overpaid for 90% of everything I got. It’s the price you pay for this damn hobby.

And I keep a database of what I buy and how much - thankfully, I’m nowhere near 7 figures.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, Artifiction said:

Just tell yourself that you overpaid by only one bid. Works for me!

Exactly - every time I ask myself if I might have overpaid, I tell myself that at least one person thought it was ALMOST worth what I paid for it.

I'm focusing less on comics now and more on the OA side and sadly those prices never seem to go down. I'll probably keep my eyes open for a few books still. One of the things I had regrets about during the price hikes was not trying to get some of the more affordable Marvel keys like DD1, Avengers1 etc. Will also be keeping a look out for pre-code horrors but the key covers for those also never seem to decline.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:42 AM, thehumantorch said:

I just keep buying.  Year after year.  Frankly, anything that catches my eye that I can afford.  I don't worry about the market being high or low. 

If someday my collection is worthless - unlikely - or worth less than I paid - more likely but still unlikely - I don't really care, I got to own the books and I had a lot of fun collecting.  For me the value of collecting comics is in the enjoyment, not the dollar value of my books.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, thehumantorch said:

I just keep buying.  Year after year.  Frankly, anything that catches my eye that I can afford.  I don't worry about the market being high or low. 

If someday my collection is worthless - unlikely - or worth less than I paid - more likely but still unlikely - I don't really care, I got to own the books and I had a lot of fun collecting.  For me the value of collecting comics is in the enjoyment, not the dollar value of my books.

I think that's likely to be the attitude I adopt going forward. However . . . there is a part of me that would question my "investment" in this hobby if a bunch of boxes in my basement that I rarely open were to represent a 6 figure sum.  It's one thing to take some of my favs and put them in a frame where I can enjoy them every time I hang out in my man cave; it's another issue altogether to stare at a bunch of card board boxes.  I suppose if from time to time I crack open a box and pull some oldies out for a read maybe it makes it worthwhile.

On the other hand, part of the fun is the "hunt" and now my new found enjoyment of taking part in an auction.  Certainly that has a value to consider as well.

Edited by 2Sunny