• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are falling prices creating "deals" for you?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, 2Sunny said:

Has anyone ever run a poll on the forum to see the range of values people's collections are?

Yes, but I think the last one was years ago and didn't get that much participation.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, 2Sunny said:

I figure it's probably considered inappropriate to ask, but my guess is serious folks on this board have 7 figures easy tied up in comics.

Yes, there are multiple 7-figure collections represented here. Mine is... not quite one of them.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:14 PM, Yorick said:

Gotta keep those books out of the light and in a nice cool environment!  (thumbsu

All the books I want keep going up in price.  This "recession" hasn't hit the books I'm after.  :sorry:

Alas . . . poor Yori(c)k

Sorry couldn't help myself.  I'm sure I'm not the first to make that joke :nyah:

for one, having only gotten back interested during the spike in prices have been holding off on making lots of new purchases even though I had decided some time ago that I wanted to pick up some Kirby stuff since that was what I unknowingly was collecting as a youngster many moons ago.  I've had my eye on completing my run of Eternals, but wasn't interested in paying the ludicrous prices of 2022.  Over the weekend I was very happy to see on MCS books 1-3 in a 9.2,9.4, and 9.4 (MCS graded not CGC) grade for $65,$53, and $46. which I immediately scooped up.  Obviously not everyone's fav, but still I figure that was a huge deal compared to prices a year or so ago.

ppsspp emulator

pikashow

Edited by mota30419

On 6/8/2023 at 6:59 AM, 2Sunny said:

Like Christmas morning here in Westchester, NY. 

Can't believe I won this for $305.  Presents beautifully!

Also, just finished cracking 15 books I sent to CGC in the fall of 2021.  It was part of my learning a little about modern grading.  I know it's often discussed here, but one conclusion I gained by cracking what I sent in and what I have purchased from MCS is that I can see very clearly that there is considerable variation amongst graders.  In the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me because other than the assurance of decent grading I have no use for "slabs".  I absolutely need to feel it, smell it, and most importantly be able to read it -  so no slabs for me, LOL.  Don't mind buying one, but for sure I'll be crackin' every slab I buy.  Just like I did below.

IMG_2421.jpg

I’m in that thought process as well. Slabbed books just seem so lifeless to me. About all you can do is just flip them over. I spend more time looking at the grade than appreciating the book. I crack most of the ones I get. The exception being the ones I buy strictly in HG for the covers only.

They do serve a purpose though. Mostly only for restoration check and resale. 

On 6/1/2023 at 8:46 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm finding deals for sure - but the real question is: is a deal or is it a correction back to what would have been a normal valuation before the insane run-up of 2020-2022?

This sums it up 100% correct. :cheers:

Everyone who has been discussing the market since COVID ended with regards to the height of the run-up which ended  at SDCC 2022 cant just see the simple and basic truth.  Most keys are still trading above their 2019 and March 2020 pricing, but yes if you bought most books from June 2020-Summer 2022, sorry you lost 25-50% of your money.  Everyone else who had already had most of their inventory and personal collection prior to COVID are doing just fine.  Even if you bought during you are still way up overall.  I def took some major hits, its okay.

People are uneducated and ignorant if they think they can keep 5x-ing their initial purchase every year. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

If you bought most books from June 2020-Summer 2022, sorry you lost 25-50% of your money.  Everyone else who had already had most of their inventory and personal collection prior to COVID are doing just fine.  Even if you bought during you are still way up overall.  I def took some major hits, its okay.

Yeah, it even went a few months after that, too - I unfortunately got into GA books at the end of summer 2022 and started seeing the decline, but for the most part - I had a long-term plan with those anyway. Some of the biggies I bought have maintained thankfully, but I think GA is still a good long-term buy.

I sold my collection back in 2014/2015 and was shocked to see where values went when I came back to comics in 2022. That's when I decided that I might as well get into a new area of collecting, because I wasn't going to be buying my Hulk 181 6.0 back for $700. lol

On 6/4/2023 at 7:56 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, there are multiple 7-figure collections represented here. Mine is... not quite one of them.

Still trying to decide if I qualify. How many of those figures have to be to the left of the decimal point?