• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I Crazy?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Nope. Not crazy.  Just a collector.  

I've tried to be very narrowly focused in my collecting. At one point, I said I'm only focused on keys and wouldn't spend money on non-keys. 

But the truth is, that's no fun! I'm interested in a number of different eras and genres and big keys take significant planning to acquire.  I don't want to only buy 1 or 2 books a year. I want to enjoy collecting. 

So my vote is, buy what you like. And if in 5 years what you like changes, you can sell what you acquired and chase something new. 

Bob Storms has a beautiful Showcase 4 if you've got some cash under your mattress. 

Anyone who buys comics other than CGC graded silver 9.4s or bronze 9.8s is almost certainly clinically insane.

I defy you to find me even ONE hot-list with Showcase 16 on it. Seriously, bro; are you even thinking about money?

:nyah: Kidding of course. I believe putting together affordable runs is the most fun you can have in the hobby.

Edited by KirbyJack

I own Showcase 25 - 104 inclusive. But if I want Showcase 24 I'm going to be charged over £150 for one in poor condition. This one is for sale at £325. Most earlier issues of Showcase, especially the Flash ones are going to cost much more than that.

showcase24.png.df6741169a66760cb2412c43aaa9d2f8.png

If you enjoy those books and love the thrill of the hunt, then, go for it, it took me 30 years to complete my runs to where they are now, Enjoy The Journey!!!

When I started collecting again in 79 I wanted to complete runs of the major Marvel titles I grew up with in the 60's. I always gave myself a starting point and an end point with issue numbers so I did not become overwhelmed, I usually started with the higher numbered books and worked my way down, I always had a price in mind that I was willing to pay for a book and I would always keep an eye out for deals on the lower numbered books at shows, LCS, eBay, etc. If condition is not a factor, it definitely makes things easier (which it is not to me, I have 329 books, out of 2000 (All Raw) between PR. 0.5 and GD- 1.8, along with 1 coverless book and 10 Remainder Copies. Tape, Writing, Ad Page/Pin Up Missing, Remainder Copies on higher dollar books were a non factor for me.) 

With comic book prices coming back down to "normal" (prices have dropped 20-30% in the last year and are still dropping.), it is the perfect time to start hunting those valued/elusive books.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Nah, do what you like. Go for it, just don't put some crazy expectation on when you will have it all collected by (perfectly fine to make this a lifelong hunt).

I would offer you my absolute lowest and affordable, but great looking, BB#28 CGC 0.5...but the market for it is so low right now it doesn't make sense for me to do anything but sit on it until another movie or something pumps it back up (and I want to get rid of it, as I don't collect em). Feels wrong to sell a BB28 for $500-700.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Collect what you like. A lot of great reads in those runs. Might get a little pricey on some of the big keys. But I keep hearing how prices are dropping like an elevator on SA keys (especially DC). Keep your eyes open for deals especially if you are not looking for high grade. Personally, I have most of what I want and at this point in time, I have no desire to store that many more books…

A huge run of Brave and the Bold's have just gone up on Heritage Auctions. Starts at issue 4 and goes all the way up to issue 85 with just a few issues missing here and there. Various grades but some nice high grades are available. Check it out. Here's a link directly to the auction.

Heritage Auctions Search, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday Comic Books Select Auction 122325 [52 793 794 791 1893 792 2088 4294939450] (ha.com)

Edited by Jaylam

On 6/14/2023 at 8:58 PM, Jaylam said:

A huge run of Brave and the Bold's have just gone up on Heritage Auctions. Starts at issue 4 and goes all the way up to issue 85 with just a few issues missing here and there. Various grades but some nice high grades are available. Check it out. Here's a link directly to the auction.

Heritage Auctions Search, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday Comic Books Select Auction 122325 [52 793 794 791 1893 792 2088 4294939450] (ha.com)

Yeah, one of the most complete sets of B&B that I've seen come up at one time for auction, with many of the hard to find early issues in there.  Granted that the earlier issues are in low- to mid-grade, but if grade isn't an issue, this is a golden opportunity to fill in a lot of the run very quickly.