• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2023 at 7:22 PM, Kamenliter said:

A class action suit would be the best way to go, but aside from myself, my friend and the fellow here with the missing AF 15, I have yet to find anyone waiting on books. I’ve posted on Facebook, IG and now here. This post has gotten the most comments, by far, but from not from anyone waiting on books (AF 15  aside) or people who did business with him in the past. 

I still can’t understand why there aren’t more posts like mine as there have to be a bunch of people waiting on their books. It’s puzzling. 

No he has an AF15 of mine as well. Just came across this thread as well. Currently trying to read everyone's comments before I make a big response as well. But I paid 3200 as well for work to be done to improve my restored af 15 which was a CGC 4.5. He advised 18-24 months at a cost of 2500 or I could fast track it for 700 more and get in 6 -8 months. That was over 3 years ago. I will chime in later with all my details. And I did threatened legal action.  I just have not followed through because he assured me he will get to my book but no time frame. I was trying to be sympathetic but I am losing my patience. Will respond at a later date. On vacation currently and don't want to get all jacked right now thinking of it. 

On 6/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, wolverine180 said:

No he has an AF15 of mine as well. Just came across this thread as well. Currently trying to read everyone's comments before I make a big response as well. But I paid 3200 as well for work to be done to improve my restored af 15 which was a CGC 4.5. He advised 18-24 months at a cost of 2500 or I could fast track it for 700 more and get in 6 -8 months. That was over 3 years ago. I will chime in later with all my details. And I did threatened legal action.  I just have not followed through because he assured me he will get to my book but no time frame. I was trying to be sympathetic but I am losing my patience. Will respond at a later date. On vacation currently and don't want to get all jacked right now thinking of it. 

A new victim joins the fray :facepalm: How many people has he conned?

Holy :censored:

He likely has $100K+ worth of peoples books (just from what is posted so far) not to mention a significant amount of prepaid funds (around $20K from what's been disclosed).

Really hoping everyone gets their books & money back, but not gonna lie, this just smells really bad.

-bc

On 6/23/2023 at 9:45 PM, mattn792 said:

I assume he didn’t say anything about returning your $12,275?

Yes - he said it was impossible.

And that he was filing for bankruptcy, and I would have the opportunity to apply for some restitution when contacted by the trustee.

Not a lot I can do from this distance I would think.

Edited by quicksilver

I'm thinking about getting into pressing and restoration. More time on my hands as the writers are still on strike. Send me your books. I think I'd would do good work. For a while I was into vintage TimeX watches and I had a Timex from the 1960s that was all gunked up and would not keep a wind. I tried everything to fix it until I had the thought one day, "Why not throw it into a pot of boiling water?" So I did, let it boil for about 20 minutes pulled it out and it runs perfectly now. I have a natural talent for restoration work.

So I'm going to start pressing and restoring books. BM me for prices. I guarantee quick turnaround.

Edited by NoMan

If any of the resident lawyers want to chime in - I’m wondering if everyone who has paid HR to date for services not rendered is entitled to receive notice as a creditor if he does file for bankruptcy.  Maybe being able to lodge your claim will at least get you a portion of your money back.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:20 PM, mattn792 said:

If any of the resident lawyers want to chime in - I’m wondering if everyone who has paid HR to date for services not rendered is entitled to receive notice as a creditor if he does file for bankruptcy.  Maybe being able to lodge your claim will at least get you a portion of your money back.

(Boilerplate legal disclaimer, this is not legal advice, seek an attorney in your jurisdiction if you need legal advice)

Services are not debts, so you're not entitled to bankruptcy proceedings.  A verdict is.  

After reading most of this, the part that is really concerning is the no refund if you cancel policy. There has to be contract performance by HR, otherwise one could construe the actual business structure was to collect monies for services that in reality HR never intended to be rendered, forcing the client to request cancellation due to the performance issue. Rinse, repeat, free profit.

The Ponzi scheme analogy is very close in my opinion. If they do not have the money to refund or even ship back goods, they were basically waiting on future monies to pay for previously promised services to others. If that's the case, do you really think you are getting your books back?  

Interestingly enough, the original registrant of the LLC has moved/sold property several times since their recent windfall of cash. 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:48 PM, NoMan said:

I'm thinking about getting into pressing and restoration. More time on my hands as the writers are still on strike. Send me your books. I think I'd would do good work. For a while I was into vintage TimeX watches and I had a Timex from the 1960s that was all gunked up and would not keep a wind. I tried everything to fix it until I had the thought one day, "Why not throw it into a pot of boiling water?" So I did, let it boil for about 20 minutes pulled it out and it runs perfectly now. I have a natural talent for restoration work.

So I'm going to start pressing and restoring books. BM me for prices. I guarantee quick turnaround.

How long will you let the comics boil for?   

On 6/13/2023 at 3:44 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully that will help alleviate some of the concerns and buy you some time to get caught up.  And remember your health and heart are more important than comics.

I don't understand, I typed it all out. Is there a character limit? 2 hrs I could have done shipping, now lost. this forum sucks, or someone is monkeying with my reply's.

Reading this thread, and seeing whats been happening in this hobby with all the companies involved, whether it's pressing, or slabbing, the core job is maintaining scheduling of customer orders.  Not the actual slabbing, or pressing.

Serious resto work sounds like it needed to be axed from Hero Restoration asap.   It just kills productivity, and scheduling of all the other work, no matter how many thousands of dollars are charged in fees for the work.

The peaks and troughs of workflow generated by the market are the biggest factors needed to be accounted for in long term performance of any business attached to this hobby.

Edited by Microchip