• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite Neal Adams covers
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, D2 said:

Although I understand the relevance of posting previous topics dedicated to a subject...

For the OP however, it doesn't make them feel like they are part of a community. 

The links to prior threads are posted for informational purposes.  One is that many of the old posters are no longer active on the Boards.  They're not in any way intended to suppress ongoing discussion, but to enhance and further inform it.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:55 AM, namisgr said:

The links to prior threads are posted for informational purposes.  One is that many of the old posters are no longer active on the Boards.  They're not in any way intended to suppress ongoing discussion, but to enhance and further inform it.

then I recommend also posting your favourite Neal Adams covers... to continue the discussions, and not misinterpret your intent on forwarding off old links to old posts and then peacing out.

:peace:

677095.jpg

The first comic I ever read with Neal Adams art, and still one of my all-time favourite covers, with his brilliant design sense on show.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/15/2023 at 9:11 AM, Low Dollah said:

Close but not quite. Its a great story tho:

https://comicscomicsmag.com/?p=508

We're not talking about the same thing. I noticed these colors long before I started working for Marvel and DC but didn't think of asking about it until a few years ago. Gregory Wright told me it was DC's production supervisor (and the guy who colored the cover to Action Comics #1) who created the color technique I am referring to. He did say that Adams did his own colors sometimes, but not always. Almost all of the covers I collect from this group were colored by the production supervisor. I think his name was Jack Abel but I'm not sure about that. He did it, according to Gregory, by introducing a halftone black plate to the colors. It was not used as black, but to control color mixing of other colors. It did increase production costs, and that is why they stopped doing it after a few years. Many of Kirby's Fourth World covers were done this way, along with just about everything else during that time period. Abel did not do them all, but I like his the best. Adams' coloring was fine but I've always thought Abel was more creative. I'd post some examples but don't want to stray too far from the OP.

Some of the last covers to use the technique are Kamandi #19, House of Mystery #211 (HOM #201 is one of the best examples), House of Secrets #100, Tarzan #228, Detective #421, Superman #252, Batman #244. An early example is Teen Titans 21.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, D2 said:

although I'm sure this isn't his best work, this was one of my first introductions to him, and the perspective of this cover, still, is so astounding to me.

X-Men-V1-60.jpg

The first comic I ever owned, I think, was Avengers #93, one of the best Adams stories aver.

Avengers 94.jpg