• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Changes
4 4

25 posts in this topic

Hello!  I am new to the card world and even newer into the grading card world.  I have heard that CGC will be removing certain grades such as 9.5 and will be replaced with 3 different 10 options. ( Gem Mint 10, Pristine 10 and Perfect 10)  My first question is, is this true?  If so, I heard one can resubmit their 9.5s to get the updated 10.  Is that also correct?

Side Note, I spoke with some of your reps at an event a few weeks back and everyone there was great, it was an awesome experience.

Thank You, Chris Rosmarin

• Administrator

Hello @cjspade

Thank you for contacting us. I am very happy you had a great experience with our events team!

This is a great question! Cards previously graded Gem Mint 9.5 are equivalent to Gem Mint 10 under the updated grading scale. They will soon be reflected in the CGC Cards Certification Verification, Population Report, and Registry resources under the Gem Mint 10 grade without any action needing to be taken by collectors and dealers.

For collectors and dealers who want to reholder cards certified by CGC Trading Cards and CSG with the new CGC Cards label, CGC Cards will lower its reholder fee to just $5 until September 30, 2023, for cards valued under $10,000. Any cards with a grade of Gem Mint 9.5 will receive the CGC Cards Gem Mint 10 grade.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

@NickiO CS Thank you for the response and the additional information.  I have been seeing and hearing alot from the community and almost everyone seems to be unhappy about the changes from the label look to the changes in grading etc.  Again as someone new I don't really understand why and to be honest it does make me a little nervous to start submitting to you.  Can you explain why people in the community seem to be in an uproar? Can you objectively tell me what negatives these changes can have?  Or, are there really no negatives and it's simply people worrying about potential negatives.  I'm hearing everything from the old label will be more sought after now that it will be gone, to those that had perfect 10s are getting screwed, etc.   

• Administrator

Hello @RLL and @northkorea, the last day we are accepting submissions for subgrades is July 10th. Any orders received into the system after July 11th will be given the new label. Subgrades will be discontinued from that point on.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Hi Kailee, could you clarify what's meant by "received into the system"? If my package of cards arrives to CGC before July 11th but isnt actually processed for grading till after July 11th, would it receive a blue label? If I plan to ship my order close to this deadline, could I include a note stating "do not grade in new label, please return if cutoff date for blue label missed"? Would a note like that be respected and would my cards be returned? Thank you!

On 6/29/2023 at 11:54 AM, delarozay said:

Hi Kailee, could you clarify what's meant by "received into the system"? If my package of cards arrives to CGC before July 11th but isnt actually processed for grading till after July 11th, would it receive a blue label? If I plan to ship my order close to this deadline, could I include a note stating "do not grade in new label, please return if cutoff date for blue label missed"? Would a note like that be respected and would my cards be returned? Thank you!

I would assume it needs to be in the system before the 11th.