• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA with 10 or fewer universal graded census: FMV at least $500 at grade 5.0 edition!
5 5

109 posts in this topic

We already have a thread that tries to capture all really low-census books, which is awesome and enlightening.  Check it out!   But as many noted in that thread's earlier days, there are many reasons for why a book could have low a low slab censuss, including not having attracted enough interest to make slabbing worthwhile.  This thread is for those interested in members sharing their books and thoughts regarding really low-census GA books that have demanded some coin in the market such that a mid-grade of 5.0 (need to pick something!) has been, or could be expected to be, valued at least $500.  Hopefully this has legs based on other members' input, as I don't have much to add here.  I'm just curious and think others could be, too.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/2/2023 at 8:47 AM, october said:

I think this one would easily break $500 in 5.0, but who knows. Only one copy on the census and probably my rarest comic overall. 

Love Nazi superweapon covers...this has to be the toughest one out there. 

001 (3).jpg

That is AMAZING! I’ve never seen this one.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:21 AM, IngelsFan said:

That is AMAZING! I’ve never seen this one.

Thanks, it's a weird one. No indicia, interior is b&w funny animal stories (almost certainly reprints). The copy shown on GCD is this same one. 

On 7/2/2023 at 11:58 AM, buttock said:

national 21.jpg

Yeah, tough issue, though I have had one or two other copies. I suspect yours is just a touch nicer than mine. Dunno. Would have to slab my copy to see for sure. 

National.jpg

Edited by october

On 7/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, october said:

I suspect yours is just a touch nicer than mine. Dunno. Would have to slab my copy to see for sure. 

If I wasn't distracted by the distributor code and blinded by the colors of buttock's copy, it would be easier to compare the two.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:47 AM, october said:

I think this one would easily break $500 in 5.0, but who knows. Only one copy on the census and probably my rarest comic overall. 

Love Nazi superweapon covers...this has to be the toughest one out there. 

001 (3).jpg

6D.  Must be a UK distribution?  That is awesome.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, buttock said:

The census has really expanded on a lot of books.  At this point, 23 years in, a lot of books that used to never be seen are getting certified.  If something remains with fewer than 10 copies, it seems to be genuinely scarce.  

I agree, there are far fewer books that would make the list now compared to only 10 years ago. 

Several of the early DCs still make the cut.  I believe that the ones with the lowest census numbers are All-American 4 and New Adventure 15, which respectively come in at 3 and 4 census copies.  There are several other DCs that have only 5 or 6 copies on the census.

On 7/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, adamstrange said:

If I wasn't distracted by the distributor code and blinded by the colors of buttock's copy, it would be easier to compare the two.

It would be a photo finish. I suspect his copy would beat mine by no more than eight or nine grade increments.

Edited by october