• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Scanning All Books?
5 5

94 posts in this topic

How can they copyright an image of our property? 

I can sort of understand a pay-for-play thing. Sort of. A small fee to "unlock" a hi-res downloadable image. But that can be a micro-transaction embedded on the lookup results tied to your login credentials.

If a scammer steals a pic of my book and posts it in a fake listing on eBay, I have options for resolution to protect my property. (shrug)

-bc

On 7/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, Zonker said:

I confess I'm not really seeing what you're seeing in all of your cover examples.  (shrug) The Detective #400 is truly great with the lighting effects and the moon's reflection on the water.  But I'm missing what is so special about the Rima, Tarzan and Mister Miracle examples?  For example, is it the blue/green gradient effect on the water in Mister Miracle #12?  Or something else I'm missing?

mm12gradient.thumb.jpg.aa6e14d5e84aae6829b2650ff17d5dfc.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 1:32 PM, Poutine said:

Isn't copyright I don't think, I don't know copyright law.

Protected content perhaps.

If CGC has such concern, I'm sure they'll watermark the images like every other company that insists they own images.

Making people pay for images of their own property isn't something new, although in this context I find it a hilarious cash grab.

when you hire a photographer for a wedding say, HE or SHE owns the images.  You can pay for prints or digital usage, but the photographer OWNS the image they make. 

Im not sure it was intentional, but someone mentioned having every slab scanned will help with IDing ME's.  Either in-house for staff to look at all of them before shipping, after shipping, or for a way to find out who was to blame..  Having a visual record will help CGC.

They can even use them for customers (US) to proof the slabs before they ship.  (Im told CGC no longer posts grades until after shipping because too many people were seeing the bad grades and immediately calling for CGC to pull them, then crack and repress and resubmit them, which gummed up the shipping at the last minute. In the early years this was a nice thing assuming you hade someone high up to pull your book... but it got out of hand..)  But now as posted the submitter could do the proofing fr CGC spotting ME's before they ship.  Guess the beancounters will decide which is most effective for CGC: like paying for shipping etc....

On 7/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light on this? If true, it's certainly a positive and welcome change/bonus, but I'm perplexed why CGC haven't put out a press release on it. 

I'm perplexed as to why everybody here is in such a hurry to pay even MORE money to CGC to have their books graded, slabbed, and now also imaged. doh!

I am sure this is still a work in progress and they will come out with a positive spin on the whole thing when it's up and running and their billing system is ready to extract even more money from your wallet.  Let's see, it'll probably go something like this........................."due to the overwhelming demand for our $5 scanned image service from all of our submittors, CGC will now streamline the entire process by eliminating unnecessary and tedious paperwork for our submittors and hence also improve turnaround times at the same time by providing scanned images for ALL books now submitted to CGC for grading.  Once again and as always, CGC is taking another hit on behalf of their submittors by always providing more for our valued customers at a substantially lower cost.  Kudos to our CCG ownership group for putting our customers first ahead of the bottom line as submittors will now be charged only an additional $3 for what amounts to a $5 imaging cost with CGC now having to absorb the excess $2 charge ourselves for this unparalled stae of the art next generation imaging service".  :devil:

So, needless to say, but once again.........................CGC DOES IT ALL JUST FOR YOU BY ALWAYS GIVING YOU SO MUCH MORE FOR SO MUCH LESS!!!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/14/2023 at 5:49 PM, LordRahl said:

I mean no offense to TRMN8R5 but... I'm sure the 10 or 20 people that generate a few hundred extra bucks a year for CGC are an afterthought at this point given how new this is. It sounds like this is a pilot and they are still figuring things out. I say that in jest, but not really, I can't imagine there are many people paying $5 a pop for pics. If this does go forward however, they may rethink the imaging charge.

Yes, $5 per front and back covers scans is substantial, especially for me, since like many posters I purchased a scanner many years ago to scan slabs. However, as I previously noted, it would be great to be able to save the scans CGC is taking in order to save the time of scanning my submitted comic books and magazines and solely have to scan the far too many other slabbed comic books and magazines I own as yet "unscanned" (these newfangled Modern English words).

On 7/15/2023 at 2:02 AM, lou_fine said:

I'm perplexed as to why everybody here is in such a hurry to pay even MORE money to CGC to have their books graded, slabbed, and now also imaged. doh!

I am sure this is still a work in progress and they will come out with a positive spin on the whole thing when it's up and running and their billing system is ready to extract even more money from your wallet.  Let's see, it'll probably go something like this........................."due to the overwhelming demand for our $5 scanned image service from all of our submittors, CGC will now streamline the entire process by eliminating unnecessary and tedious paperwork for our submittors and hence also improve turnaround times at the same time by providing scanned images for ALL books now submitted to CGC for grading.  Once again and as always, CGC is taking another hit on behalf of their submittors by always providing more for our valued customers at a substantially lower cost.  Kudos to our CCG ownership group for putting our customers first ahead of the bottom line as submittors will now be charged only an additional $3 for what amounts to a $5 imaging cost with CGC now having to absorb the excess $2 charge ourselves for this unparalled stae of the art next generation imaging service".  :devil:

So, needless to say, but once again.........................CGC DOES IT ALL JUST FOR YOU BY ALWAYS GIVING YOU SO MUCH MORE FOR SO MUCH LESS!!!  lol

"We did not have to do this. But we did. Thus, pay us."

On 7/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, lou_fine said:

WTF are you talking about? Who is in a hurry to pay MORE to CGC? Where in this thread did you see that A) CGC will charge for this and B) that anyone is willing to pay for it?:eyeroll:

On 7/15/2023 at 2:21 PM, LordRahl said:

WTF are you talking about? Who is in a hurry to pay MORE to CGC? Where in this thread did you see that A) CGC will charge for this and B) that anyone is willing to pay for it?:eyeroll:

As I already stated, it's still a work in progress plus you must have both patience and a sense of humor to get maximum fun and enjoyment from these boards here.  (thumbsu  lol

On 7/15/2023 at 4:09 PM, lou_fine said:

As I already stated, it's still a work in progress plus you must have both patience and a sense of humor to get maximum fun and enjoyment from these boards here.  (thumbsu  lol

I have a sense of humor... your post just wasn't funny :banana:

But to address your "concern" (I put concern in quotes because I know you don't submit so I'm not really sure why you care what CGC charges), your post implies that there are 2 choices here. Those are

A) CGC will never raise prices again

B) CGC will raise prices because of this new imaging service

That is either a very naïve view of the world or you are taking that stance even though you know it's not realistic because it's advantageous to the narrative you are trying to spin. 

The actual choices are...

A) CGC will raise prices again without providing any further value and will keep raising them until they see price resistance from their customers

B) CGC will continue to raise prices but provides more value to the comic collecting community in the form of this new imaging service

Given those 2 choices, I see a clear winner. Your mileage may vary.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:04 PM, smarkjobber said:

I first noticed the scans with my Adam Hughes SS books I got back in the middle of last month. Have had three orders since and all have had scans.

In regards to saving them I'll just say they're images on the internet -- where there's a will...

My first submission (Roy Thomas books signed at Heroes Con) post the change was shipped Friday and they had the scans. As @smarkjobber states, it is possible to download the images with a little bit of internet magic (I've included below for those interested). 

I really think that submitters of the books should have access to these scans if available and if CGC decide to offer them to all submissions for free from now, that would be a big positive change for both CGC and their customers as well as a big differientator to other grading companies. I currently scan all my incoming books, so this would take some of that work off my shoulders. It would also help with determining any issues pre and post-submission (if you scan your raw books prior to sending to CGC - it was useful for this submission because I was able to see that I somehow missed the popped staple on Avengers #79).

Like everyone here, I think if CGC continues to insist on charging the $5 these images or increase prices post this change, especially as they are scanning them for their own purposes regardless, then it's a really cynical move. Also, who exactly gave CGC permission to scan our books and use them in this manner in the first place?

I also noted someone said magazine submissions didn't have scans; I'm still waiting on a couple of submissions, so will update when they are shipped to see if scans are attached to those books.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the books.

CGC2806765-001_OBV.thumb.jpg.28cb35b93d735ffaba152d913c68cffc.jpg

CGC2806765-002_OBV.thumb.jpg.64eb6b3565d3f997234cd908571843d3.jpg

CGC2806765-003_OBV.thumb.jpg.a6b4fac68c573ec212c12226ad9b652c.jpg

CGC2806765-004_OBV.thumb.jpg.35b52221cf9fbdbe8103c3d404e66547.jpg

CGC2806765-005_OBV.thumb.jpg.e014a4cd34da7fdf2bd5fdc4bc714835.jpg

CGC2806765-006_OBV.thumb.jpg.a38941c333729f462682b48df133cde3.jpg

CGC2806765-007_OBV.thumb.jpg.b92807a6e8817690f80ff6c735041e7f.jpg

CGC2806765-008_OBV.thumb.jpg.539a75918f63452a1b394a5516fbcd9f.jpg

CGC2806765-009_OBV.thumb.jpg.30fedc293548c732f789695fd0c96cf4.jpg

Edited by Every Day A Story

Per the QC discussion - I just had another shipment go out today, and at least from the scans, you can see debris inside one of the cases:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4258805001/

Front cover white speck, near dead center - pretty obvious. Likely I'll send that back to CGC with as a ME : /

If CGC is going to provide the scans, which I 100% think they should - in an effort to lower the ME returns, maybe they should have a window where the scans can be reviewed by the customer before the books are shipped..? that would help figure out if the ME damage is happening between encapsulation and shipment, or between shipment and when the customer receives the books.

Edited by dbcn

On 7/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, dbcn said:

Per the QC discussion - I just had another shipment go out today, and at least from the scans, you can see debris inside one of the cases:

Front cover white speck, near dead center - pretty obvious. Likely I'll send that back to CGC with as a ME : /

If CGC is going to provide the scans, which I 100% think they should - in an effort to lower the ME returns, maybe they should have a window where the scans can be reviewed by the customer before the books are shipped..? that would help figure out if the ME damage is happening between encapsulation and shipment, or between shipment and when the customer receives the books.

While this is a very good idea, the value to CGC depends on how timely customers review and approve scanned books before shipping. This customer approval process would be yet another "choke point" that could impact storing and shipping product (and possibly create more risks overall).

How long should the window of opportunity be? 2 days? 5 days? 10 days? As someone who does logistics as part of my business, I want to ship finished product as soon as possible just to save space and make room for tomorrows batch.

Minimally, the scans should be reviewed by the internal QC team before moving to shipping. And then again, maybe pigs will fly....

-bc

@bc  - yeah would definitely need to be a limited window - if they sent an email when the scans were ready saying you have  even 24 hrs to review before they ship I think it would cut down on the ME costs. 

As a customer if I could nip the ME in the bud early, I would be very happy not to have the additional 2-3 weeks of turn around after getting receiving the book.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, dbcn said:

@bc  - yeah would definitely need to be a limited window - if they sent an email when the scans were ready saying you have  even 24 hrs to review before they ship I think it would cut down on the ME costs. 

As a customer if I could nip the ME in the bud early, I would be very happy not to have the additional 2-3 weeks of turn around after getting receiving the book.

(thumbsu

It's always been easier to fix the issue before it gets loose in the wild from both a financial and marketing perspective.

-bc

On 7/17/2023 at 3:15 PM, dbcn said:

So I just had big Silver Age book reslabbed (from 2nd Gen to current slab) and was surprised that there is now a scan for my book when you look up the cert.   Good scan too.    Not sure if it has been talked about on the boards but the new heavy duty plastic bags apparently can leave a very heavy plastic residue or other blemish on the plastic case.   So my book looked flawless in the scan and when I opened the box today the bag had wreaked havoc on the slab.     Had to order a thing called polywatch which is apparently supposed to take whatever the residue/smudging off.      

Less than ideal but I don't want to ship this book back again.  

On 7/17/2023 at 7:43 PM, DC# said:

So I just had big Silver Age book reslabbed (from 2nd Gen to current slab) and was surprised that there is now a scan for my book when you look up the cert.   Good scan too.    Not sure if it has been talked about on the boards but the new heavy duty plastic bags apparently can leave a very heavy plastic residue or other blemish on the plastic case.   So my book looked flawless in the scan and when I opened the box today the bag had wreaked havoc on the slab.     Had to order a thing called polywatch which is apparently supposed to take whatever the residue/smudging off.      

Less than ideal but I don't want to ship this book back again.  

There was a recent post about this...let me see if I can find it...

In the QC thread page 268, about 75% of the way thru that page...

-bc

Edited by bc

I haven't had any bag residue, but there have been weird scratches (some pretty deep) that I'd be very surprised if they actually happened during shipment - the slabs seemed packed really well, and the scratches are in weird, random places that don't look like they could be caused by a bump or drop.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, dbcn said:

It's possible that white spot is just an artifact of that particular scan. I got a submission back the other week, and on one of the registry page scans there was a shadowy spot on the comic, but it doesn't actually exist in real life. So hopefully yours turns out the same way.

On 7/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Just had one of my magazine submissions shipped and there were no images, so looks like only comic books for now. 

Not surprised as you have to have a very big scanner for magazine holders.

Good to learn that magazines are being shipped. Of course, scans of the encapsulated magazines would assist the submitter to see the condition of the slab, etc., they will receive.