• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 1
15 15

200 posts in this topic

I was so excited after the first 4 books....I was at 5 points and I was really impressed with myself .....then I saw what I did on the fifth book......Oh well ended up with a 9    One thing I did learn on my my first ever attempt at this and that is...Don't Change Your First Impressions....I  would have had a 7 if I kept my original grades..............I Remain Fearless.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

I looked at the book and didn't think it was necessary to post that note, as I figured the actual grade matched the book.  However, I will keep this in mind going forward.

Appreciate the acknowledgment Mike. (thumbsu

On 7/24/2023 at 7:07 PM, thehumantorch said:

Popular Comics #66  5.0

Archie Comics #39  8.0

Thing #15  4.5

Incredible Hulk #5  1.8

Marvel Spotlight #10  8.0

I was close on every book and correct on the Marvel Spotlight 10.  5 points.  Typical start for me, better than a blind man in a dark room but not good enough to be a contender.  

I think you are wrong Dave...5 points opening round is definitely contender status.  Granted to win you'll have to do some better than 5PT rounds hereout, but that certainly does not take you out of it.  Nice round! :takeit: Can't wait to see the standings.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, Pickie said:

11 points. Just great! :yeehaw:

Where's the Golden Age bump when you need it, let alone for a pedigree?!

Would NOT purchase that Thing in that holder. rantrant over

It's a 3.5 as long as my _ss points to the ground, I'd be disappointed if a dealer sent me that raw and I paid the iron price. Oops that's game of thrones talk I meant the FMV.

It's fun anyway, always difficult to grade by pictures alone.

I probably missed some great virtues The Thing has.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, trmoore54 said:

Do others think they were able to discern an 85% spine split on the Hulk?

Hey Tom!  :hi:  I think it's reasonable to assume the tape was placed to repair/stabilize a split (which is far and away the most common reason tape is placed along the outside spine).  My personal estimate was for an 80% split, since the taped portion of the spine appeared to be about 8" long.  :foryou:

On 7/24/2023 at 7:59 PM, zzutak said:
On 7/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, trmoore54 said:

Do others think they were able to discern an 85% spine split on the Hulk?

Hey Tom!  :hi:  I think it's reasonable to assume the tape was placed to repair/stabilize a split (which is far and away the most common reason tape is placed along the outside spine).  My personal estimate was for an 80% split, since the taped portion of the spine appeared to be about 8" long.  :foryou:

Well, a 1.5 allows for a LOT of defects - the Hulk was my only Bull, overgraded the rest.:frustrated:

On 7/24/2023 at 8:29 PM, Panda2 said:

Can someone explain the front cover of Popular for me? I had it at 3.5 and still don’t know what that defect is?  Also all that colour transfer”!!?

Also curious about the Thing.  Thought the missing piece would have more of an impact. 

trying to learn….

Looked like an oil stain to me. It isn't color transfer. The color is coming through from the other side.

Think I’m at 8 or 9 pts which isn’t too bad for me. CGC having that bizarre “1.8” exception to the half point rule cost me an extra point as I was too generous to the Hulk Beater.

Although as usual I was harder on almost everything else than CGC was. I struggled with Popular and Thing because they both presented very nice then had what I’d consider a “significant” flaw. Still can’t believe you can score a 5.0 with a giant chunk out the cover like that. I guess it’d be a solid 7.0-7.5 without that so a 2+ grade penalty seems logical in hindsight.

Anyway, onwards and downwards!

• Administrator
On 7/25/2023 at 7:23 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Not sure I wanna see the current standings but is this where it'll be posted once it's all figured out?

There will be a separate thread for the results.  However, I will post a link to that thread here.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:44 AM, paqart said:

Looked like an oil stain to me. It isn't color transfer. The color is coming through from the other side.

It is definitely color transfer from the inside covers or first page inside both covers. In my experience CGC doesn’t down grade for it when the book is below an 8.0 and even above an 8.0 it’s rarely more than a .2/.5 hit.

On 7/25/2023 at 5:19 AM, Cman429 said:

Think I’m at 8 or 9 pts which isn’t too bad for me. CGC having that bizarre “1.8” exception to the half point rule cost me an extra point as I was too generous to the Hulk Beater.

Me too. I can see the angry raw "good comic market" now.

"You ! You swore to me this was a 1.8!!  There is no way in hell that this is more than a 1.5!!!!!!!"

Rough start. I forgot the reveal was last night