• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 4
10 10

191 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 2:06 PM, CGC Mike said:

hm  That may remain a mystery unless the person comes forward in the thread.  

Mike, if

On 7/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, CGC Mike said:

Grades of 9.9 and 10.0 that are received, will be recorded as a 9.8 

...then couldn't the 4.6 be recorded as the 4.5 that was almost certainly intended? It would be a shame for a competitor who has stuck with it to the end to be disqualified for a typo. If they don't see this in time to correct it, I mean.

• Administrator
On 8/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Mike, if

...then couldn't the 4.6 be recorded as the 4.5 that was almost certainly intended? It would be a shame for a competitor who has stuck with it to the end to be disqualified for a typo. If they don't see this in time to correct it, I mean.

I agree it would be a shame.  I guess I could do that.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, zzutak said:

A well-intentioned reminder to all: if you think a CGC Grader spends more than 2 minutes examining a book's outside cover before assigning that book a grade (which is what we're being asked to do here), it's time to put down the pipe!  :preach:

I bet it's more like 30 seconds at most looking at the cover (not counting resto-check). Moderns would get maybe a 5-10 second once-over. 

The volume of books they have to look at per hour would make it impossible to spend 2 minutes/book. 

Grades in. Sheesh, another tough round--pretty comparable to round 2 for me (maybe a tad easier...unless there's more hidden water damage lol). Thanks for another great contest, Mike! These old books are a great learning experience for me. 

Edited by Nsschenks