• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Hulk 181.. not bad spine and color, but some water damage
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm curious what opinions are about my Hulk 181. Cover is nice, smooth and bright, with a few minor color breaking ticks. The back cover shows signs of water damage and rippling of the lower edge of the book. Slight tide lines are present on most pages, being darkest on the splash page and less distinguishable towards the back. Slight rippling on the bottom 2 inches of the pages, obvious in the photos. Pages are pretty white overall and colors are bright.

I want to be pessimistic and say the water damage is the kiss of death for value, but parts of the book are pretty beautiful and I've been told the more obvious damage may be correctable with pressing/whitening. I have no idea where it is now, but I'm curious if this could somehow end up in the 6+ range with some TLC. Or am I delusional and it's a lost cause 3.0 or worse?

EDIT: Thanks everyone for your feedback.. Because some have commented, here is some more info: MVS is present, and no rust on the staples (which is surprising bc water damage, so maybe was a quick spill that dried). No spine roll. It lies flat. The off-centered look is from manufacturing (you can compare the cover image with other books and this one has more of the image to the right). Staples are positioned exactly on the edge.

IMG_8268.JPG

IMG_8269.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8273.JPG

Edited by ostanni

Rounded corners w/color loss, minor spine stress with a few/small color breaking spine ticks, cover not centered/spine roll, moderate to severe staining on interior pages, wrinkled back cover with some staining/discoloration.

Two things...I cannot see the staples, if they are rusted or there is rust migration the grade will be lower, also, it was never mentioned weather the MVS is present. (That would be the difference between a Blue and Green Label)

I have no idea how hard CGC hits on interior page/rear cover staining or water damage, I am sure that someone with CGC experience with this type of defect will chime in, will a Clean and Press increase the grade and appearance of the book?

Since there is no creasing/folds/color breaks/tears, IMO...

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

3.0/3.5

Water damage runs throughout the book. A C&P may improve the grade a bit but I don't see this above VG.

Thanks for posting.

Kiss of death may be extreme for a book like this. Extremely well-pressed with a CGC grader who's sympathetic maybe a 4.0, but they're really hard on this type of thing. 3s is more likely

I was looking on Ebay to get a comparison on the grade of the books besing sold. 

Here is one that was graded a 2.5 and the seller has it listed at 2,400$.  

INCREDIBLE HULK # 181 CGC 2.5 KEY 1st Appearance WOLVERINE 1974 Marvel MVS | eBay

Not sure on the grade, I think a 3.x as I saw some incmoplete copies graded at 3.X ebay with some really obvious defects. 

On 7/20/2023 at 3:25 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

This would look great in a slab just the way it is frankly. It is though, a very (VERY!) nicely presenting but low grade copy. 4.0 as is, in my opinion.

Great book to introduce yourself to the board with!! Welcome :bigsmile:

Thanks! Just found out about this place :)

I bought this book in the mid-80s for $13.50 (the most I could afford at the time). I just got it out of storage after 30+ years to have a look, and it ended up looking better than I remembered it.

Edited by ostanni
added context

On 7/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Since there is no creasing/folds/color breaks/tears, IMO...

6.0 FINE (FN)

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could be that optimistic, but I can't imagine that grade with the extent of staining and rippling. Luckily the cover does not have any water traces, like the cover was open during a quick spill (although you can see a weird color abnormality in the red sky to the right of the hulk. Not sure whether it's from printing or not). MVS is present and staples are tight and rust-free. If the rippling is pressed out and the staining is reduced.. it's hard to know how CGC considers such flaws on an otherwise decent-looking book.

On 7/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, bighairjer said:

Also assume that yellow circle spotting on front cover is production and not some other type of spill or whatever?

I can't explain that spot. I believe it is related to the printing/production. I assumed at first it was related to the water damage, but it doesn't seem like it. No trace at all on the opposite side of the spot. It seems only to effect the red color and not the surrounding colors, and it is below the cover gloss. But then I've never seen anything similar on other books.

There is a tiny spot of food or something on the "H" that looks like it can be cleaned off easily. Just haven't dared mess with it yet.

Edited by ostanni