• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - By curiosity, i want to know how much people are ready to pay for my collection
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Since I started collecting comics, I realize that even if we collect out of passion, we can't help but be interested in the value of our books...

I want to know how much someone will pay for my collection, I don't know if I am describing it here so many people can say I will pay this...

Edited by BA773

You really should do your homework.  It will help you understand how the hobby/business works.  If you live in Europe, shipping an extensive collection to America is expensive, so you'll eliminate most potential buyers.  How many people in a fifty-mile radius would be interested in buying all your books at one time?  Many comics were overprinted and are virtually worthless to dealers in America.  That may be different where you are.   As you learn more about the local market, you'll know what your collection might sell for.   My rule of thumb is five percent of most collections contain seventy-five percent of the value and I think that applies to most hobbies, not just comics.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, shadroch said:

You really should do your homework.  It will help you understand how the hobby/business works.  If you live in Europe, shipping an extensive collection to America is expensive, so you'll eliminate most potential buyers.  How many people in a fifty-mile radius would be interested in buying all your books at one time?  Many comics were overprinted and are virtually worthless to dealers in America.  That may be different where you are.   As you learn more about the local market, you'll know what your collection might sell for.   My rule of thumb is five percent of most collections contain seventy-five percent of the value and I think that applies to most hobbies, not just comics.

I already sayd its just to get an estimation, i never speak about selling my books i will keep it forever. So we dont care about the delivery fees because we can imagine that i live in USA

On 7/26/2023 at 3:54 AM, BA773 said:

I already sayd its just to get an estimation, i never speak about selling my books i will keep it forever. So we dont care about the delivery fees because we can imagine that i live in USA

Did you list your collection somewhere so we know what you have? 

I like Shadroch's quote that 5% of your collection is worth 70% of the value.  Said another way, 95+% of comics aren't worth very much and are hard to sell. Especially when your talking about comics after 1980.

Generally, the older stuff is worth more. But there are plenty of very old funny animal books, photo covers and Westerns that aren't worth the cost of shipping. 

If you post a list with issues and approximate grade, we can probably give you an idea of which ones are keys and roughly how much they are worth 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, KCOComics said:

Did you list your collection somewhere so we know what you have? 

I like Shadroch's quote that 5% of your collection is worth 70% of the value.  Said another way, 95+% of comics aren't worth very much and are hard to sell. Especially when your talking about comics after 1980.

Generally, the older stuff is worth more. But there are plenty of very old funny animal books, photo covers and Westerns that aren't worth the cost of shipping. 

If you post a list with issues and approximate grade, we can probably give you an idea of which ones are keys and roughly how much they are worth 

Im actually trying to complete the entires series of the 7 members of the JLA from 1987 to 2011.

I already collected these run without the specified issues:

Batman (1940) 404 to 713 (without 421,422,424,425,456,530,531,532,535,

550,570,599,604,652)

Green Lantern (1990) 14 to 181(without 19,20,21,41,43,44,84,138,139,140,151,

164, 165,180,181)

Green Lantern (2005) 1 to 67 (without 40,55)

Superman (1987) 1to103 (without 28)

Flash (1987) 1to188 (without 33,34,35,49to...67,142,143,144,145,146,

148, 149

Edited by BA773

On 7/26/2023 at 7:03 AM, BA773 said:

Im actually trying to complete the entires series of the 7 members of the JLA from 1987 to 2011.

I already collected these run without the specified issues:

Batman (1940) 404 to 713 (without 421,422,424,425,456,530,531,532,535,

550,570,599,604,652)

Green Lantern (1990) 14 to 181(without 19,20,21,41,43,44,84,138,139,140,151,

164, 165,180,181)

Green Lantern (2005) 1 to 67 (without 40,55)

Superman (1987) 1to103 (without 28)

Flash (1987) 1to188 (without 33,34,35,49to67,142,143,144,145,146,

148, 149

I don't really collect from this era, so I wouldn't personally buy these books.  I don't think there are many key issues in there, which means your best bet would likely be to sell them in lots. 

However - I will say I appreciate your love of the hobby. Completing runs, reading the stories and enjoying the art work is what this should be all about. 

On 7/26/2023 at 1:07 PM, KCOComics said:

I don't really collect from this era, so I wouldn't personally buy these books.  I don't think there are many key issues in there, which means your best bet would likely be to sell them in lots. 

However - I will say I appreciate your love of the hobby. Completing runs, reading the stories and enjoying the art work is what this should be all about. 

You know the first time i readed a comic book was just few months ago, instantly the value of each book in my possesion was multiplied by 10... 

It was so satisfaying to try to get each pieces of the puzzle but reading was the cherry! Now i have collected 56 % of my first goal (concentrated on batman, superman, gl, flash and wonder woman, this last is the only that i not started yet)

After that i will go with MM and Aquaman, but its just the beginning! A lot of secondary charachters seems to have good stories, and the teams series like JLA, JSA, SS, and the geoff Johns Run on Teen titans, and Secret Six, men its never ending... :luhv:

Nobody can really put a dollar value on your collection without research and better info. That being said, just looking at what you collect, that’s a whole lot of dollar bin stuff. DC from 87 to 11 was pretty creatively bankrupt as far as core JLA related characters is concerned. They had Wonder Woman working at Taco Bell for crying out loud. There’s a big lack of key issues and the stuff that was notable (Superman death, Batman breaking) had ginormous printings which keeps value down. So I don’t think you’re sitting on a future retirement fund, sorry. 

On 7/26/2023 at 5:37 AM, Cman429 said:

Nobody can really put a dollar value on your collection without research and better info. That being said, just looking at what you collect, that’s a whole lot of dollar bin stuff. DC from 87 to 11 was pretty creatively bankrupt as far as core JLA related characters is concerned. They had Wonder Woman working at Taco Bell for crying out loud. There’s a big lack of key issues and the stuff that was notable (Superman death, Batman breaking) had ginormous printings which keeps value down. So I don’t think you’re sitting on a future retirement fund, sorry. 

I have several Justice League International and America in my personal collection, they are absolutely worthless, I think they are worth the cover price I paid for them when I bought them brand new. If one wants to sell DC Comics most of them will be worth a buck or two at best and with the cost of shipping the books are better off as a fire starter for camping than a collection piece. 

Well first of all you will need to learn basic grading. Grading is subjective and and no two people will see a book exactly the same. But since you want to know what your collection is worth, you need to be brutally honest about the grades you assign to each book you own. I've gone through this with both coins and comics. When I first started out with each, I was over grading. I imagine I was trying to make myself feel good about my abilities at getting bargains. After a while I began to re grade what I had to better reflect the true grade as others might see them. Even at that, you'll never know for sure, but at least you're being honest with yourself and your collection.

There are programs out there that will allow you to build a database for your collection. I chose to do it myself on my laptop and made a database in Excel. I'll add a picture of part of it. Once I have a comic graded, and after bagging and boarding, I check three price guides. I have the latest copy of the Overstreet  comic price guide. I also use on line ComicspriceGuide.com, and Nostomania.com. I combine all three values that they say a raw comic is worth, divide that by three to establish an average. And I check that against eBay to see what others are asking for a particular comic, and also what they have recently actually sold for. That's difficult because I find that many sellers over estimate grades on eBay and so to get an actual comparison to my own comic, I need to look at each recent sold comic to see if they really are a let's say Fine/Very Fine as the seller says or if it's just a Very Good+/Fine- or worse. I find that the comics I have will generally be worth anywhere from that average value in my database to maybe only 50% of that value.That's what I do.

I have no intention of selling my collection, perhaps just a few here and there that I have doubles of, and I realize that over time prices will change but I do all this to establish a value at the time I purchase the comic against what I paid for it. And I'm honest with myself about what I paid as well. I always include shipping in the cost of the comic, because that is part of what I paid for it. I usually buy in bulk so as to spread the shipping across many books to keep it down.

Well I hope that helps you establish a value to your collection. Just don't get your hopes up too high since most of what you listed is pretty new. As an example I looked up just one of the comics you listed, the 1987 series Flash #32. ComicsPriceGuide.com as a 6.0 at .95 cents. Overstreet doesn't even list a price at a 6.0, but has a 9.2 at $5, so I'll assume that a 6.0 isn't any higher than a dollar. Nostomania has a 6.0 at $2.15 ....... so the average is $1.36, and since it's not that old, you can probably estimate the real value at 25% to 50% of that $1.36.

Below is a small piece of my database as an example.

Capture.thumb.JPG.394d0ebdf60151f5537786aab93c7ffc.JPG

Edited by Mokiguy

Collecting comics is a pride-of-ownership hobby. You pay for a book, enjoy owning it and either sell it at a profit or loss. Preoccupying yourself thinking that every book you'll buy will earn you money just leads to frustration and disappointment. If you're sick of looking at your books or want to change focus, sell them on auction as a lot and hope for the best, and accept the worst.

Ok i think i was a great misunderstanding on this topic, i already told that im not looking to sell my collection, never! 

I prefer to stop the disscusion here because at this point its more painfull than something else... 

The only one who understanded my question is the guy who answered 3,50$ lol

There is no misunderstanding.  

Here is the reality- currently, the books you have listed have little value.  If you had the books in NYC and went shop to shop, someone might offer you a quarter a book, but I'd guess ten cents a book.   If you offered your collection for free, if someone would pick up the shipping costs, you'd get  few American buyers. 

As you said, you don't intend to sell them so the most important thing is you enjoy them and get your money's worth out of them.  Perhaps the world will turn upside down and those campy JLIs will get hot, but odds are most books you've listed will be bargain bin books for the next twenty years.

On 7/26/2023 at 7:46 AM, shadroch said:

Here is the reality- currently, the books you have listed have little value.  If you had the books in NYC and went shop to shop, someone might offer you a quarter a book, but I'd guess ten cents a book.   If you offered your collection for free, if someone would pick up the shipping costs, you'd get  few American buyers. 

As you said, you don't intend to sell them so the most important thing is you enjoy them and get your money's worth out of them.  Perhaps the world will turn upside down and those campy JLIs will get hot, but odds are most books you've listed will be bargain bin books for the next twenty years.

I know for sure, if I brought all my DC comics and Justice League and other tiles I bought back in the 80's as I was exploring, I figure the entire 150 books or so woudl be worth the price of a Premium Beer and a decent Burger, not much more. 

On 7/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, shadroch said:

Thanks, just one thing, i never spoke about the JLI series, i havent this book in my collection. i speaked about the individualy series of each member from  the JL 

Edited by BA773

you have a good laugh here about all these books huh? So now who have a full wonder woman vol 2 run and is ready to sell me it for 1usd per book? lol

when now i'm looking to buy, i can really see the honesty of men! And im pretty sure that nobody never would sell me it at this price! I estimate to never had payd too much for a book, but I never made an exceptional deal either, so strange huh? Maybe there is a reason... 

Edited by BA773