• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Still Have Your First Piece of Original Comic Art?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, RBerman said:

Yes, but I only got it four years ago, so...

image.thumb.jpeg.8f25b68761cd2f97d3787b633c10d6c0.jpeg

Such a clean Paul Smith piece, and immediately recognizeable. Was that a commission?

On 7/29/2023 at 11:06 AM, Twanj said:

SS_v3_019_25_original.thumb.jpg.1647d2a18d49b0b3b888818f45023b73.jpg

Yep, hope to hold on to it.

Did you pick that up at a convention? That's a crazy first piece!

On 7/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Still have it. Despite my collection being mostly Marvel, it was this DC page that got me to pull the trigger since I just really liked the dialogue.  

TheDemonVol.321pg.3.thumb.png.9dcc2841ef3e022549acff507d325cef.png

The dialogue and movement is really nice on that, with so many different effects going on. How long have you had it?

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/29/2023 at 12:53 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Was that a commission?

Paul Smith puts several of these up on his web site sporadically throughout each month, usually in the middle of the night. His price is clearly too low for the market since they are typically gone in minutes. I happened to log on at the right time and got this one, not even knowing how lucky my timing was.

On 7/29/2023 at 11:55 AM, RBerman said:

Paul Smith puts several of these up on his web site sporadically throughout each month, usually in the middle of the night. His price is clearly too low for the market since they are typically gone in minutes. I happened to log on at the right time and got this one, not even knowing how lucky my timing was.

Very cool! That doesn't happen a lot in this day and age. 

On 7/29/2023 at 10:55 AM, RBerman said:

I did the same thing with Chris Bachalo. When he has an art drop it usually sells out in a few minutes, happened to be on his site when it dropped.

Here's my first piece, bought directly from Dave in the early 90s when he did his world tour.

cerebus182_4.thumb.jpg.1c06eac58b16b3452673cf7d301dfdef.jpg

Still have my first convention sketch from the early 1980's, Deadman by Michael Nasser on 11 x 14 in pencil.  No longer have my first published original art, Deadman (mini-series) 1 p 21 by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.  I really wish I kept it.  I got it from Scott Dunbier (late 1980's ?) when he was still selling JLGL's art.  I had to decide between this page and another Deadman page (from the same series).

1st art.jpg

Edited by Will_K

On 7/29/2023 at 4:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

Bought my first art around 1978 or 1979 or so from Comics & Comix in Berkeley (my parents generously made a side trip on the way to SF on a trip with my grandmother who lived in Sacramento- lived in Oregon spent every Christmas in Sacto). Used up all my Christmas gift money to fund the $75 acquisition:

I love that!  I am just outside of Sacramento and remember Comics & Comix at both Birdcage in Orangevale and also downtown Sac.  Growing up, one of my favorite days of the year we our annual class field trip to see the Nutcracker where I would sneak away to go to Comics & Comix to load up on back issues nowhere to be found in my hometown of Nevada City.