• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Still Have Your First Piece of Original Comic Art?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The dialogue and movement is really nice on that, with so many different effects going on. How long have you had it?

Thanks, Comiclink says I got it in 2011 so just over 11 years now. I also happen to win it for just $11 dollars too. Who knew such a cheap piece would cost me so much in the long run.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:39 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Here is mine...free con sketch from a very creative guy!

Didn't get another piece for quite a few years...I believe my first piece of published art was part of a deal I made for a bunch of Studio artist portfolios that had BWS and Jones in it - I didn't collect original art so I sold the pair of Wrightson Swamp Thing pages at an early SDCC - live and learn !

Starlin Warlock profile 001.jpg

That's pretty damn neat! Is that a wooden nickel or badge from the con?

Nope. It was a Tomb of Dracula issue 12 page that featured Blade (3rd appearance of Blade). I traded it in order to acquire a Spider-Man page , and I don’t regret my decision whatsoever. You gotta give good stuff in order to get good stuff. Unless your rich, then you can just acquire non-stop without ever needing to trade away your acquisitions (which isn’t my case unfortunately).

Nice thread :)

I still have my first piece of original art which I purchased back in 2003 - Amazing Spider-Man #137, page 14 with pencils by Ross Andru, inks by Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt:

IMG-20230731-WA0002.thumb.jpg.eb5436c84f0ce76e5197e1585212c751.jpg

Happy 20th Anniversary!

Andru was always my favourite growing up and I just wanted to own one piece of his ASM work. I put a copy of the printed work with it: 

IMG-20230731-WA0000.thumb.jpg.676830f74ddb15adae23679bbb98ebb7.jpg

I'd completely forgotten that it was a Mark Jewellers too :grin:

I've sold other Spidey pieces that I've owned over the years but this one will stay with me no matter what to be discovered when I've gone among a portfolio of my own work from back when I was at school.

I love all the little notes and add ons that come with OA:

Scan.thumb.jpg.30cac4a73e70cebfba19d5442cc753dd.jpg

The colorist obeyed! :)

Scanb.PNG.b63c2d2b807c6ef658a6657d92afd5b2.PNG

Anyway, that's my first page. It's nice to think it was sat on Ross' drawing board almost 50 years ago. I'll never meet him to say thanks - in this life, anyway - but it's as close a connection as I'll likely ever get.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, p41981 said:

Nope. It was a Tomb of Dracula issue 12 page that featured Blade (3rd appearance of Blade). I traded it in order to acquire a Spider-Man page , and I don’t regret my decision whatsoever. You gotta give good stuff in order to get good stuff. Unless your rich, then you can just acquire non-stop without ever needing to trade away your acquisitions (which isn’t my case unfortunately).

Not necessarily. You have to be willing to give up popular stuff in order to get popular stuff. There is a terrific amount of really good cheap stuff. By the way, you probably made a wise decision. Spider-man art is likely way more popular then Dracula art now (both of which may also be good).

Yes, but purchased in 2017 I think. I had never seen OA in person when I was transitioning from collecting books, so I wanted to just buy a page at a reasonable price to see in hand. Once I opened this I was a full convert. Sold most of my books to fund my first purchases in art. Haven’t looked back. 

This is Starlin from Death of the New Gods. Not sure why I picked this page as my first. I’ve never read the story. I think it was because I knew Starlin and I like Darkseid and it was like $250. 

image.jpeg.7ebcf149a193a6ecbe02a4af34faa57b.jpeg

On 7/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, p41981 said:

Unless your rich, then you can just acquire non-stop without ever needing to trade away your acquisitions (which isn’t my case unfortunately).

what-he-said-look-up.gif