• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a New Serial Number During a Reholder?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Do CGC-graded comic books get a new serial number with a new label when they're submitted for reholdering?  If not, is there a submission method that would allow me to get a new serial number plus new label for a previously CGC-slabbed book?

Can a currently-slabbed CGC 9.8 book be submitted for a regrade?  And pre-screened for a 9.8 as well?

Let's say I have 5 Modern CGC books that are already slabbed as CGC 9.8's.  All I want to do is to have CGC replace the serial numbers on those books with new serial numbers; but I don't want to run the risk of losing those 9.8 grades.  I'm fine with paying reholder or Modern grading fees for this service.  What would be the recommended course of action to do this?

• Administrator

Hello @ccgcollector,

If they are sent in for a regrade, they will be removed from their cases and regraded as raw. The previous grade would be void.

If they are sent in for a prescreen regrade, they would be cracked out and "regraded" if our graders believed they would receive the same grade or higher. This however is not something that is done very often (in my 5 years I have only ever seen it done one other time) so I would suggest writing a note on your packing slip and putting a sticky note on each encapsulation when you send them in with an explanation of your intentions with these books (that you are sending them in to receive a new cert number). 

I hope this helps!

• Administrator
On 9/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, TheCollector2016 said:

What happens when something is sent in with a Mechanical Error? Does that mean it gets a new cert number?

Hello,

MEs are treated the same way a reholder is. These services will not change the certification number. 

On 9/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, MattM CS said:

Hello,

MEs are treated the same way a reholder is. These services will not change the certification number. 

Hmm...well it looks like we may have an issue then....sent in my ME last month. Finally received the Grading/etc. update this week, 1 month later. It has now been marked as "Shipped" (albeit, this could just be the shipping label creation as FedEx does not indicate pickup).

In the Submission Tracking, the Line Item number hyperlink goes to a completely different certification number than the original certification number.

Edited by TheCollector2016

On 9/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, TheCollector2016 said:

Hmm...well it looks like we may have an issue then....sent in my ME last month. Finally received the Grading/etc. update this week, 1 month later. It has now been marked as "Shipped" (albeit, this could just be the shipping label creation as FedEx does not indicate pickup).

In the Submission Tracking, the Line Item number hyperlink goes to a completely different certification number than the original certification number.

When you submitted your ME, you had to put down the Cert # of the slab.  Go back to that original Cert # and plug it into the Cert Lookup Tool and you should see pics of your updated slab as well as the grade.  This practice should be followed not only on ME's but Reholders as well.  Good luck!

On 9/21/2023 at 11:23 AM, workingdog said:

When you submitted your ME, you had to put down the Cert # of the slab.  Go back to that original Cert # and plug it into the Cert Lookup Tool and you should see pics of your updated slab as well as the grade.  This practice should be followed not only on ME's but Reholders as well.  Good luck!

Right, I have. The original cert number page has yet to show any updates to it, while there is a NEW cert number, which leads to a page with some of the book's info, but no grade and no pics.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:07 PM, TheCollector2016 said:

Right, I have. The original cert number page has yet to show any updates to it, while there is a NEW cert number, which leads to a page with some of the book's info, but no grade and no pics.

That's odd. I just had a reholder done and when I put the original cert # in the Cert Lookup Tool after it was marked shipped, it came right up with the grade and pics of the newly reholdered book (the book in question was in an old slab and I upgraded it to the current slab).  I would try again in a day or two.  If it still doesn't show up, you might have to loop @MattM CS back in again.

• Administrator
On 9/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, TheCollector2016 said:

Can you DM the two certification numbers you are using? Thanks!

On 9/22/2023 at 7:30 AM, MattM CS said:

Can you DM the two certification numbers you are using? Thanks!

Hey Matt,

Sent the DM a few days ago. However, update:

Received the book back today. ME was fixed, and the book has the original certification number. Seemingly this is good news, however, it seems an oddity that there is that second certification number in existence.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, TheCollector2016 said:

Hey Matt,

Sent the DM a few days ago. However, update:

Received the book back today. ME was fixed, and the book has the original certification number. Seemingly this is good news, however, it seems an oddity that there is that second certification number in existence.

The ME itself has it's own submission number so CGC can keep track of it in their system, and CGC cert numbers are just the submission number + line item number in the submission (so the 1st item listed for submission number XXXXXX gets cert number XXXXXX001), so thats why MEs end up generating their own cert numbers even though they don't really get used on the label (just for internal tracking I guess, or just might genuinely be a programming oversight). 

• Administrator
On 9/24/2023 at 4:34 PM, JC25427N said:

The ME itself has it's own submission number so CGC can keep track of it in their system, and CGC cert numbers are just the submission number + line item number in the submission (so the 1st item listed for submission number XXXXXX gets cert number XXXXXX001), so thats why MEs end up generating their own cert numbers even though they don't really get used on the label (just for internal tracking I guess, or just might genuinely be a programming oversight). 

A great educated guess! This is correct, this is used for internal tracking but it is NOT an oversight. The one thing I will add is for Reholder submissions including ME orders, the new cert numbers are not counted in the census. The only time you should receive a new certification number for your book is if it is sent in for a regrade service. Let us know if you have any other questions.