• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?
4 4

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?

• Will Eisner
    • Alex Schomburg
    • Wallace Wood
    • Matt Baker
    • Basil Wolverton
    • Lou Fine
    • Reed Crandall
    • L. B. Cole
    • Harvey Kurtzman
    • Carl Barks
    • Will Elder
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/2023 at 05:00 AM

103 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 3:44 PM, Ryan. said:

In terms of overall volume, panel to panel storytelling, creativity and general artistry, Barks is far, far ahead of everyone in the Golden Age, and also the Silver through Modern Ages.

McCay probably takes it for the Platinum Age.

McCay, Foster, Raymond, Caniff/Sickles could be a tie.  They all were hugely talented, produced work which puts comic book word to shame (pay and time made a difference), and were monumentally influential.  However, I'd say that McCay had more influence on animation whereas Foster, Raymond, and Caniff/Sickles had the greater impact on comic book artists. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, sfcityduck said:

We all are entitled to our opinions and a diversity of opinions can lead to great conversation.

True and I’ve debated this time immemorial and there’s an Atomic Age in between the Gold and Silver Ages. Maybe I will circle back after finally getting around to the 53 Edition of the Overstreet Price Guide.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:39 PM, bronze johnny said:

True and I’ve debated this time immemorial and there’s an Atomic Age in between the Gold and Silver Ages. Maybe I will circle back after finally getting around to the 53 Edition of the Overstreet Price Guide.

My own view is that there are no ages, only years and decades (which are very helpful for ballparking general value and content) and comic history events (which are very helpful for guys like me that like to talk about what was happening in the "comic world" and how it related to the real world).  

I went with Wally Wood, although I'm not sure how meaningful I actually consider the question.  But most of the choices were excellent at one or a few types of comic stories or covers, while Wood (on one of his good days) was excellent at almost any type of comic.  I've said for years that the best comic artist every was Wally Wood on a good day... the catch being that, especially later in his career, he had more than his share of bad days as well.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

However, I'd say that McCay had more influence on animation whereas Foster, Raymond, and Caniff/Sickles had the greater impact on comic book artists. 

I agree that their work, as you wrote, was superior to the work of most of the artists we're discussing. Firstly, the strip artists were immensely talented, and secondly, their output was seldom rushed. That beautiful Raymond drybrush technique wouldn't translate somewhere where higher outputs were expected like the Iger shop. When you produce stuff like Foster's Prince Valiant (moreso than his Tarzan period) or Dave Stevens's later lavish work, there is simply going to be a temporal limit on your ability to produce at the rate of a Simon and Kirby, for instance. Additionally, I would add Hogarth to your pantheon of strip artists - Foster for those lush settings, historical accuracy and battle scenes; Raymond for his amazing brushwork and Andrew Loomis-level portraiture (often approaching nobility); Caniff for his innovative storytelling abilities and cinematic acumen; and Hogarth for his dynamism, anatomy and those unrivaled jungle backgrounds. 2c

Edited by PopKulture

Interesting thread when you consider different parameters, like body of work, cover work, interiors, comic strip work, etc.; I would've probably included Mac Raboy to the main list of comic book illustrators for both covers and interiors.

If we're talking specifically covers, my choice would be Alex Schomburg, hands down. But if interior art had to be part of the equation it would probably be a toss up between Wally Wood and Reed Crandall for the volume and overall consistent quality of work across a broad spectrum. If restricted to interior art I'd probably add Jack Cole to the list; his covers are awesome, but usually limited to just the central character(s) of interest or theme. His interiors, OTOH, were often wildly orchestrated, inventive affairs and stand out.

Also, if newspaper comics are to be considered on the list, I'd agree for the most part with the inclusion of McCay, Foster, Raymond and add Eisner for his groundbreaking Spirit section work. Winsor McCay would be my favorite newspaper comic strip artist.

:cheers:

On 8/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Interesting thread when you consider different parameters, like body of work, cover work, interiors, comic strip work, etc.; I would've probably included Mac Raboy to the main list of comic book illustrators for both covers and interiors.

If we're talking specifically covers, my choice would be Alex Schomburg, hands down. But if interior art had to be part of the equation it would probably be a toss up between Wally Wood and Reed Crandall for the volume and overall consistent quality of work across a broad spectrum. If restricted to interior art I'd probably add Jack Cole to the list; his covers are awesome, but usually limited to just the central character(s) of interest or theme. His interiors, OTOH, were often wildly orchestrated, inventive affairs and stand out.

Also, if newspaper comics are to be considered on the list, I'd agree for the most part with the inclusion of McCay, Foster, Raymond and add Eisner for his groundbreaking Spirit section work. Winsor McCay would be my favorite newspaper comic strip artist.

I think your points are spot-on!! :cheers:

Tough, question, I don't know if there can be a single answer. Frazetta did some incredible covers, and his interior work was tops in terms of finish, but it doesn't stand out for me in terms of storytelling through art. Eisner produced fantastic stuff in the postwar era, with some of the best splashes and use of panels ever, but it was almost all in service of one strip, and thus his scope feels limited. Barks, a master visual storyteller, but didn't create the kind of covers and splashes that one gets excited about. Everett produced an amazing body of work, covers and interiors both, and in nearly every genre. Johnny Craig is a personal favorite of mine, though he's associated more with the 1950s than the core of the Golden Age. And then there is someone like Alex Toth, who when he was at his best, took things to another level. The more I think about it, there is no way I can come up with an answer to the question. 

Of that list they are all very very great at what they did but I’d give it to Carl Barks for his originality with what he did for the genre and Lou Fine for the earliest and closest thing the GA got early on in draftsmanship that could compare to the superior work that the newspaper strips had. For most artists the GA was a place  to learn your craft. Hey if artists like Eisner are calling you great and you were Joe Simons and Jack Kirby’s favorite artist you must be doing something right Mr. Fine…

In terms of covers, it's a close call between Schomburg and Fine. I picked Schomburg as his work was just that bit more iconic, even if Fine was slightly more inventive.

And as for storytelling and innovation withing the medium, I'd go with Eisner.

Edited by goldust40

On 8/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Great points, Cat-Man. 

Yes, I think any consideration for this honor must include an artist who regularly drew covers and interiors. AFAIK, Schomburg never drew interiors, so he would have to be excluded. 

I would exclude newspaper comic artists. Since most of Eisner's best work was done for newspapers, that probably excludes him. 

By "best overall" I was thinking of some one who drew covers and interiors as well as a variety of genres: adventure, humor, sci-fi, super-heroes. 

Personally, I thought Wood was great in humor, adventure, horror, sci-fi, war. But he arrived a bit late. His style only came into maturity in 1951.