• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk has passed.
12 12

188 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, adamstrange said:

Jon was keenly aware of passing of many of the early GA artists, which motivated him to connect with those who were "found".  He viewed recreation commissions as a way to demonstrate his sincere appreciation for their art and, for some, to provide a little bit of extra cash.   These requests could be a little tricky to navigate and didn't always go quite as planned.  In one case, the artist shaved off the left 15% of a cover image because they relied on a photo he sent from a bound volume to make sure they knew which issue would be recreated.  He didn't think they would sketch based on that image.

-- Jon Berk

That Detective Comics 18 he had on his wall in the picture you posted looks totally awesome. I was wondering if Creig made it especially for him. "Shelly" Moldoff created some particularly nice quality ones as well. I bet Mr. Berk had at least one of his also. 

Kind of funny, the shaved off part. Kind of. Kind of not. I know you probably don't want to out the artist but I'd love to see that finished work. 

edit: Looking at it again , is it numbered as 15 instead of 18? If so no big deal, makes it even more unique. 

Edited by Professor K

On 8/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, Professor K said:

That Detective Comics 18 he had on his wall in the picture you posted looks totally awesome. I was wondering if Creig made it especially for him. "Shelly" Moldoff created some particularly nice quality ones as well. I bet Mr. Berk had at least one of his also. 

Kind of funny, the shaved off part. Kind of. Kind of not. I know you probably don't want to out the artist but I'd love to see that finished work. 

edit: Looking at it again , is it numbered as 15 instead of 18? If so no big deal, makes it even more unique. 

Jon had dozens of recreations, probably half purchased and half commissioned.  He talked me through stories of many of them, but not so that I remember the details of more than a few.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, adamstrange said:

Jon had dozens of recreations, probably half purchased and half commissioned.  He talked me through stories of many of them, but not so that I remember the details of more than a few.

Makes sense. I just noticed his Science Comics 1 on the wall..........by Murphy Anderson. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/713713

I didn't see the Detective 18 as being sold. I bet he kept that one. (thumbsu

On 8/15/2023 at 3:02 PM, Professor K said:

Makes sense. I just noticed his Science Comics 1 on the wall..........by Murphy Anderson. 

I think he had 3 or 4 Murphy recreations of Lou Fine covers.  They were part of a series commissioned by Steve Geppi, who managed the sales through Diamond Galleries.  There was a special kick-off celebrating Murphy's career and displaying all the recreations at the Diamond offices in Baltimore.  Jon got first pick through his relationship with Murphy and Geppi.

MurphyRecreation3.jpg

MurphyRecreations1.jpg

MurphyRecreations2.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, adamstrange said:

I think he had 3 or 4 Murphy recreations of Lou Fine covers.  They were part of a series commissioned by Steve Geppi, who managed the sales through Diamond Galleries.  There was a special kick-off celebrating Murphy's career and displaying all the recreations at the Diamond offices in Baltimore.  Jon got first pick through his relationship with Murphy and Geppi.

MurphyRecreation3.jpg

MurphyRecreations1.jpg

MurphyRecreations2.jpg

Oh wow. Thanks so much for posting that. Every one looks great. Love what he did with the Hit 4. 

On 8/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, twmjr1 said:

In five decades of collecting, I've bought 70,000 books, sold zero. 

I only sell books to buy others. My collection is totally self funded. But I also have sold books for real estate purchases and my kids college. I only sell books I can’t live without for the most part. It is a self funding hobby not a business for me.

Sad news indeed about his passing!

I bought a raw Warrior Magazine #1 on ComicConnect and it came with a certificate " ...Jon Berk collection ). My presser sent it off to to CGC and it recently came back with a blank label with no certificate because CGC lost it. I reached out to ComicConnect a few weeks back and they mentioned that the certificate would be reissued and mailed to me. I have yet to receive it !!! Will call them again a 4th time to see if it was mailed out. My presser and I e-mailed CGC customer service and the lady wrote back that CGC no longer adds " ...Jon Berk Collection" . That it was done in the past but no longer now. I was confused and wrote back that CGC should and must respect a book if it has a certificate of authenticity from this collection. Her following reply simply reiterated that CGC no longer labels it as such. 

Am I missing something here gentlemen? Is the lady at customer service correct? I feel cheated by such a response. Anyone here experienced the same or know someone at CGC who actually knows how to help fix this because they understand why my book should have the proper label? 

Thanks for any advice and contact information I could use to reach someone at CGC in the know. 

On 8/16/2023 at 9:58 AM, The_Investor said:

I bought a raw Warrior Magazine #1 on ComicConnect and it came with a certificate " ...Jon Berk collection ). My presser sent it off to to CGC and it recently came back with a blank label with no certificate because CGC lost it. I reached out to ComicConnect a few weeks back and they mentioned that the certificate would be reissued and mailed to me. I have yet to receive it !!! Will call them again a 4th time to see if it was mailed out. My presser and I e-mailed CGC customer service and the lady wrote back that CGC no longer adds " ...Jon Berk Collection" . That it was done in the past but no longer now. I was confused and wrote back that CGC should and must respect a book if it has a certificate of authenticity from this collection. Her following reply simply reiterated that CGC no longer labels it as such. 

Am I missing something here gentlemen? Is the lady at customer service correct? I feel cheated by such a response. Anyone here experienced the same or know someone at CGC who actually knows how to help fix this because they understand why my book should have the proper label? 

Thanks for any advice and contact information I could use to reach someone at CGC in the know. 

I’ve heard too many reviews about things being lost. How can you be comfortable mailing in an Action # 1 for example. Wish it could be graded at a show as an option. Of course, I could get mugged too.

• Administrator
On 8/16/2023 at 9:58 AM, The_Investor said:

I checked into this.  Here is what I was told from Matt Nelson:

Whether they are from Berk, or any significant collection we recognize on our label (pedigrees included). We can’t simply go off a cert because the books can be switched. Proof must be provided beyond that. In this case we would need a link from the CC auction or website, or since we know the guys at Comicconnect, an email from one of them confirming that they sold this particular copy from the Berk collection to him. If I can get that, I’ll add it to the label if he sends it to my attention. But he should secure that info before he mails me the book.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

I checked into this.  Here is what I was told from Matt Nelson:

Whether they are from Berk, or any significant collection we recognize on our label (pedigrees included). We can’t simply go off a cert because the books can be switched. Proof must be provided beyond that. In this case we would need a link from the CC auction or website, or since we know the guys at Comicconnect, an email from one of them confirming that they sold this particular copy from the Berk collection to him. If I can get that, I’ll add it to the label if he sends it to my attention. But he should secure that info before he mails me the book.

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your reply!!! Being the owner of the book, I can definitely ask ComicConnect to write me an e-mail providing proof that I won this raw Warrior Mag #1 on their auction years ago and in fact that there is a certificate of authenticity proving the book comes from the personal collection of Jon Berk. This was one of two reasons why I bought it in the first place. I'll get you that info ASAP Mike.

Thanks again for making my day!  Customer service was not  very helpful when I kept telling the young lady that what she was saying made absolutely no sense. She also never once asked for the proof. She kept saying CGC no longer does this on the label. Maybe she was a new employee, one who does not understand or collect comics thus does not know how to address the problem adequately without asking her immediate supervisor who intern, also does not collect comics and hands down a clear verdict, " NO"  without ever once  taking 2 minutes and communicate with me directly.   

Regardless, it's no one's fault, glad I have a way of getting this fixed. God Bless 

Edited by The_Investor