• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Overgraded Comic Of The Week
8 8

213 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2023 at 7:58 AM, zzutak said:

This week's award goes to gradesplus-353 for his amazing "like new" copy of Mad #1 (EC, 1952) in VF/NM(worship)

M1.thumb.jpg.bd0960bb0908c0ce2e9a4602f0d22e9b.jpg

Perhaps he thinks that "Mad chipping" is not a defect.   Why do SA Marvels get a pass but Mad's don't?  It seems unfair.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:08 AM, Point Five said:

It gives me no pleasure to say this, as I do enjoy busting on clueless sellers as much as the next guy... but ebay is increasingly a part of this problem. Ebay's current selling interface encourages sellers to "lift" titles from existing auctions to create their own new ones, regardless of whether the quality of both items is remotely similar. So a seller like this could be grading their POS book VF-; lousy grading is obviously a problem that's existed as long as ebay has been around. But it's also possible the VF- grade hitchhiked over from a previous listing's title.

Good point. I list using the app since it's much faster and you are guided to find a similar listing to base yours off. Then you have to go through and edit everything the previous user entered, which can be entertaining.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:05 AM, Stefan_W said:

So many options in our local buy and sell to pick from for this topic. Here is one of my favourites but there are so many others just like this.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

The classic game of "Are they actively trying to rip people off, or just plain ignorant themselves?" Plenty of both selling on FB Marketplace. Glad to see it's not just a BC phenomenon. 

What if the seller just changed the title a bit to something like:

"like new (in 1952)" copy of Mad #1 (EC, 1952)(was) in VF/NM (at that time)

I also think the seller needs to increase the opening bid. Add an extra zero or two, what the heck.

Edited by alecholland