• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Overgraded Comic Of The Week
8 8

215 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The usual justification on Ebay is "I am not a professional grader".

More like 'I am trying to learn, and I am currently being mentored in this process by an alpha male chimpanzee at our local zoo. However, I have yet to come anywhere close to his primate level of grading accuracy, so please cut me some slack."

Would be more truthful.

I purchased a book on eBay this week with that "I am not a professional grader" phase.  Perhaps the most overused phase on all of eBay.  Can't wait to see how the book looks when it gets here.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:25 PM, zzutak said:

You're right.  Snow white is so overrated.  zzz  I'd like mine toasted, please!  :foryou:

CA83-96b.thumb.jpg.649ce9b7916eca22e4e345a1aaad4a32.jpg CA83-55b.thumb.jpg.7104f557105765653ee0149fc7f40f1c.jpg

Only a slight drop to "off-white to white".  There must have been scribbles on the front.  :baiting:

On 9/10/2023 at 12:43 AM, C. Spaulding said:

Bump with this current NM- copy on eBay.

IMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.7f78a4d996ba29cec989b43c066ccfed.jpeg

I suspect that by ‘File Copy’ the seller would mean, more accurately, “Filed away in a Garbage Bin”.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, JollyComics said:

I think those sellers are using NM- to attract the buyer.  It works but it's stupid move.

“It’s Near Mint MINUS, you know - just a few defects.”

On 9/13/2023 at 5:55 AM, Dr. Balls said:
On 9/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, JollyComics said:

I think those sellers are using NM- to attract the buyer.  It works but it's stupid move.

“It’s Near Mint MINUS, you know - just a few defects.”

NM- is similar to 13+ on movie ratings...   >13 and <NM

Everything above 13 qualifies for the movie, and everything below NM qualifies for the grade.

On 9/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, valiantman said:

Everything above 13 qualifies for the movie, and everything below NM qualifies for the grade.

So, if it's PG13, it's probably good to watch, but PG is kinda lame?

On 9/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:
On 9/13/2023 at 9:37 AM, valiantman said:

So, if it's PG13, it's probably good to watch, but PG is kinda lame?

If the seller uses NM- to indicate everything below NM qualifies for their grading, yes, they are less than 13 years old mentally and very lame.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:41 PM, JollyComics said:

Does it work though? I know for me personally, if I click on something that says "NM-" it's because I'm usually looking for a book in a higher grade range. The second I see it's not even close (assuming I can't tell from the first thumbnail lol), I will move on. And anyone searching for NM is gonna pass hard. Anecdotal though, I guess...

That said, in my experience scanning books sold recently, the price most books go for is usually more or less reflective of the visible grade and not what's listed. Occasionally you'll get the uninformed buyer, but that's an exception, I think, particularly for GA and SA where the buyers are usually more seasoned in terms of recognizing when something is over-graded (or *shiver* has unlisted restoration). I actually don't mind the over-grading as long as the pictures are good (I'll usually just laugh and move along)--what I hate way worse is poor quality photos that are intentionally blurred or obfuscated in some way to cut out or reduce defects. I feel like uneducated buyers are way more likely to fall for those than something listed as NM- that is clearly VG. Or maybe my outlook is too rosy lol and I'm just hoping these lame 'tactics' don't actually work. 

On 9/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, southern cross said:

But if they are not a professional grader, how about selling me that Hulk 181 for a $1? Because you're also not a professional pricer either!

robocop-id-buy-that-for-a-dollar.gif.13aba1f648b4e82b79a3f90c39c97187.gif

Nosebleed pricing.

4x cover price.

They should be satisfied.

Edited by Ken Aldred

NM- used like that simply telegraphs…

‘Well it’s obviously not mint, but I can’t grade, so who knows anything else about it other than that. Yes, I’m useless.’

Look, I’ve participated in some of the grading contests here, ended up next-to-lowest in the rankings in one memorable example, and clearly my slab or bag grading ability is atrocious.

But, at least I can admit to the shortcoming.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/14/2023 at 3:57 AM, Ken Aldred said:

NM- used like that simply telegraphs…

‘Well it’s obviously not mint, but I can’t grade, so who knows anything else about it other than that. Yes, I’m useless.’

Look, I’ve participated in some of the grading contests here, ended up next-to-lowest in the rankings in one memorable example, and clearly my slab or bag grading ability is atrocious.

But, at least I can admit to the shortcoming.

But you aren't trying to trick people into overpaying.