• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Adams CGC Signing
8 8

290 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, Phrawst said:

Honestly I love Art's work but this is upsetting for a number of reasons.

1 - The price point and the "sample remarque" made it seem like you'd be getting a tiny head doodle, if people knew that submitting a blank cover would get you results like this then EVERYONE would have submitted blank covers. Now that opportunity is lost except to those who sent blanks.

image.jpeg.4fbf030ed4c951e7b07636085842c413.jpeg

2 - By going above and beyond on the blank covers the rest us will be waiting for who knows how long to ever see our books again? Again no shade to Art, bless him for giving people such incredible pieces of work that would normally cost what.. $1000 to comission?
3 - I submitted FF 348 2nd print thinking we were getting tiny head doodles. So screw me I guess.

It is upsetting knowing what others are getting, and because others are getting what would be a much more costly, full sketch cover we are being left waiting with no info on when it is going to be completed.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:21 AM, Maboc said:

It is upsetting knowing what others are getting, and because others are getting what would be a much more costly, full sketch cover we are being left waiting with no info on when it is going to be completed.

Art is a busy dude I'm sure!

Edited by Phrawst

On 11/3/2023 at 9:15 AM, Phrawst said:

Yup the books people have gotten back in this thread would be what $500-$1000 comissions normally? But they win the lottery because they sent in blanks and Art is an awesome dude. Really should have been on CGC to be there watching and saying "if you give everyone a 2 hour drawing you'll never finish, and lots of people didn't send in blank covers who will feel ripped off when they don't get a huge amazing piece of art like these blank submitters are getting."

Almost feels rigged.

I took a look at the 2-3 examples of head sketches that I was able to find online, that he had done at the last signing..there was a very nice Logan (though no where near as elaborate as the ones being done this time around) and went with that, figuring if I got something at all like that I'd be happy for $120. I also went by the two samples shown in the CGC announcement which looked pretty detailed to me (those were drawn on an X-Men print and are actually fairly decent sized as the print is pretty large); so with that limited info in mind, I sent in eight books; Five sketch covers and three published covers with enough room for a decent sized remarque. I'm amazed at the pieces that have shown up so far; I can only cross my fingers I get something in that range on mine. However long it takes, I'm fine with. 

On 11/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, Kamenliter said:

I took a look at the 2-3 examples of head sketches that I was able to find online, that he had done at the last signing..there was a very nice Logan (though no where near as elaborate as the ones being done this time around) and went with that, figuring if I got something at all like that I'd be happy for $120. I also went by the two samples shown in the CGC announcement which looked pretty detailed to me (those were drawn on an X-Men print and are actually fairly decent sized as the print is pretty large); so with that limited info in mind, I sent in eight books; Five sketch covers and three published covers with enough room for a decent sized remarque. I'm amazed at the pieces that have shown up so far; I can only cross my fingers I get something in that range on mine. However long it takes, I'm fine with. 

The pieces so far have been crazy.

Edited by Phrawst

On 11/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, Phrawst said:

Well I guess I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not doing that research. The sample images could just as easily been small doodles on a cover of Classic X-Men #1 to my eyes so I figured (like most reqmarques) we were going to get a tiny doodle. 

There’s always next time I guess. 

On 11/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, Kamenliter said:

There’s always next time I guess. 

That's the thing. There isn't next time. Because people took advantage of it, they are now putting "No blank covers" on the announcement emails for upcoming signings.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:37 AM, Kamenliter said:

Of course you would be fine with waiting. If you get, lets go on the low end for a commission like this, $400, 2k worth of work, for $600, I would be happy to wait as well. Because we all know that 70%, minimally, of these blank covers are going to appear on ebay for $500+.

I didn’t realize they’d put no blank covers for future signings; that sucks. I just went on what I saw in the past, which were relatively small but nice. Thing is Art Adams just puts more care into his work than many. 

And as to value on the secondary market, you won’t be seeing me putting mine up for sale. 

On 11/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, CGC Mike said:

Only some of the submissions have been completed. Art is still working on the rest.

So does that mean he took books with them, and is slowly mailing them back? Because that is not what we were told was happening before.

• Administrator
On 11/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, Maboc said:

So does that mean he took books with them, and is slowly mailing them back? Because that is not what we were told was happening before.

I have already made a post regarding that.  He didn't take books with him after the signing.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, Phrawst said:

Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll do many small doodles in the blank spaces on the very crowded cover I chose. (FF348)

I sent the same book in asking for a Skrull remarque.  If he whites out the yellow box with the character names there should be a good size spot to draw something. 

I can only hope the three blanks I sent this time come back looking like those examples. I got in on the first one and it listed "no blanks" and I have a great Longshot remark on a Longshot #1 and a nice Emma on an X-Men Gold. When I saw this one didn't have that same stipulation, I had to take a shot. I'll wait.