• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've had issues with CGC before but nothing like this
10 10

101 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 8/22/2023 at 11:36 AM, Dinohin22 said:

I am also sending back the Jumbo Comics 102 for the claims department to review. The cover had no issues and both staples were attached on the book (besides the corner rip the bottom staple is now detached according to the notes). It was a 4.5/5.0 range. I tried to enhance the photo as it was originally taken as a group shot of my books. So I had to enlarge it. I had taken a pic more to remember books I sent in rather than something like this could happen. I attached the original full picture as well. The book was purchased at 204comics in Winnipeg, MB (Canada) a few weeks ago and the owner can also vouch that there was no issues with the book. Again the good news is that this is not a high value book. I love Fiction House books and it was just for my PC. My biggest concern and I think everyone's concern (and not to accuse anyone/accidents happen) is that you might have an employee that is hiding something like this.       

Thanks for the info.  I will pass it along.  I was told that the first grader (first person to remove the book from the bag) noted this:  top right piece detached in bag - placed between pgs 3&4”.   When asked about this, he said the piece was already detached and floating in the bag.  

On 8/22/2023 at 9:17 AM, CGC Mike said:

I was told that the first grader (first person to remove the book from the bag) noted this:  top right piece detached in bag - placed between pgs 3&4”.   When asked about this, he said the piece was already detached and floating in the bag.  

@CGC Mike could you please answer this question about The CGC Grading Process:  at what point in the 7-step process is a submitted book removed from the submitter's "original" bag and placed into a standard CGC sleeve?  I'm looking for the exact step (1, 2, ......, 7) at which this transfer occurs (which I assume is also the very first time a book's cover is touched by a presumably gloved hand).  Many thanks!  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

On 8/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the info.  I will pass it along.  I was told that the first grader (first person to remove the book from the bag) noted this:  top right piece detached in bag - placed between pgs 3&4”.   When asked about this, he said the piece was already detached and floating in the bag.  

Would this mean that the piece is still in there between pgs 3 & 4? Why would they put it there? Is that common to put a loose cover piece inside a book before encapsulation? 

• Administrator
On 8/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, BriD. said:

Would this mean that the piece is still in there between pgs 3 & 4? Why would they put it there? Is that common to put a loose cover piece inside a book before encapsulation? 

Yes, this would mean that the piece was placed inside the book.  I guess the reasoning was, to keep the piece with the book.

• Administrator
On 8/22/2023 at 12:44 PM, zzutak said:

@CGC Mike could you please answer this question about The CGC Grading Process:  at what point in the 7-step process is a submitted book removed from the submitter's "original" bag and placed into a standard CGC sleeve?  I'm looking for the exact step (1, 2, ......, 7) at which this transfer occurs (which I assume is also the very first time a book's cover is touched by a presumably gloved hand).  Many thanks!  :foryou:

The receiving team works right next to the graders; they open the box, receive the books (still in the bags), and hand them to the grader.  

Posts like this, I really don't envy the difficult position that Management puts Mike in.  Some insufficiently_thoughtful_person somewhere rips a cover, denotes it as existing damage, and then a suit comes up with a stupid question trying to deflect blame.  Meanwhile, Mike's left to do damage control.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:59 PM, ExNihilo said:

Posts like this, I really don't envy the difficult position that Management puts Mike in.  Some insufficiently_thoughtful_person somewhere rips a cover, denotes it as existing damage, and then a suit comes up with a stupid question trying to deflect blame.  Meanwhile, Mike's left to do damage control.

Agree 100%.

Mike just had to contact the team for me because the labels got flipped on my submissions. Thanks to their new scan policy, I was able to catch this before shipping. Rather than just moderating these boards for baddies, Mike's stuck cleaning up messes made by others who are rushing to meet a quota and not caught by the "QC Team".

Edited by Chaz G.

On 8/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, CGC Mike said:

The receiving team works right next to the graders; they open the box, receive the books (still in the bags), and hand them to the grader.  

@CGC Mike So you're saying that a grader is the person who first removes a book from its original/as-submitted bag, places it in a standard CGC sleeve, and then applies a unique bar code sticker to that sleeve?  If this is indeed the case, CGC's graders are actually responsible for Steps 2, 3, and 4 of the much-touted Grading Process, right?  And while we're on the subject of process, are you able to reveal whether Quality Control (Step 6) is performed by any of the same staff who are responsible for either Encapsulation (Step 5) or Packaging/Shipping (Step 7)?

Many thanks for helping us to understand!  :foryou:

Step-1.thumb.png.87b463201422c9d133ad742a93899cb2.png 

Step-2.thumb.png.af03b0429fdc8cbaa1e1df63217c36fb.png

Step-3.thumb.png.7337f81df84a6cdeac30fba9cec7369b.png

Step-4.thumb.png.3ac05b8b4d2744e4454f0d5726cd197a.png

Step-5.thumb.png.4a96287c45dd2dcf12e4ae22e5ab37b0.png

Step-6.thumb.png.567d6dac37a7f7464deb9decc40964e9.png

Step-7.thumb.png.cfc5a886309994ad8d25915e744d4ada.png

I’ll be honest, when I saw the original potato quality “Before” pic part of me wanted to think OG purposely used video distortion to obscure tape or a tear or something that had that corner hanging on for dear life. But now that I see it much clearer I don’t see any explanation for the whole corner being torn asunder except VERY egregious mishandling. It certainly doesn’t look like something that’s just about to randomly fall off like a zombie’s withered limb. This thread has shaken me to the foundation.

On 8/22/2023 at 12:50 PM, Cman429 said:

I’ll be honest, when I saw the original potato quality “Before” pic part of me wanted to think OG purposely used video distortion to obscure tape or a tear or something that had that corner hanging on for dear life. But now that I see it much clearer I don’t see any explanation for the whole corner being torn asunder except VERY egregious mishandling. It certainly doesn’t look like something that’s just about to randomly fall off like a zombie’s withered limb. This thread has shaken me to the foundation.

It should at least be noted that the image was "enhanced" (likely via AI upscaling).  It's possible the enhanced image still obscures an original tear if the AI didn't pick up on it.  (Just playing devil's advocate.)

On 8/22/2023 at 2:50 PM, Cman429 said:

Thank you Cman. On my end there is little benefit/gain. To be 100% transparent as there is basically little gain for me in this. This is a book that I paid 80.00 for. So no big deal there and the grading fee. The book was a midgrade (4.5/5.0) and is just for my personal collection. Even graded the value is low at 4.5 range around 200 bucks probably. So low value. So even in the end, I would end up with a small credit from CGC, which is no big deal to me. Why would I send a piece of the book with it???? That would just be weird. My big concern with this is that someone in the process (and again not accusing anyone accidents happen) there was an oops. I don't know if CGC comes down super hard on a person where they feel they could lose their job if an accident happens.  

If I was opening that box, and saw that a piece of the comic was "detached in bag", I would hold it up toward this alleged documentation camera and with my finger, point it out to the camera.  This would indicate that I found something amiss here, and want to highlight that it wasn't me.

Same thing if I didn't see it before opening the bag.  As soon as I opened the bag and I saw it, I would do a full stop, show the camera, notify SOMEONE that there is a problem.  Just to establish when it was discovered, who discovered it, and where do we go to from here?  To grading and encapsulation?  I think NOT!

On 8/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, DR.X said:

Bingo. If these books are removed under security camera's it should not be difficult to track down who damaged this book, and boot his a zz out the door.

And as for the original poster saying this was only an $80.00 book and no big deal. It is a big deal if it's a personal book. What if this was your AF #15? Then it's a big deal? I don't care what the value of the book is, there is no excuse for this garbage that continues at on and on.

And I agree with you. I just meant that at least it was a low value book so thats why I'm not freaking out. If this was a high value book I would be losing my mind. Like you said i'm more concern about accountability in the process.

• Administrator
On 8/22/2023 at 2:58 PM, zzutak said:

@CGC Mike So you're saying that a grader is the person who first removes a book from its original/as-submitted bag, places it in a standard CGC sleeve, and then applies a unique bar code sticker to that sleeve?  If this is indeed the case, CGC's graders are actually responsible for Steps 2, 3, and 4 of the much-touted Grading Process, right?  And while we're on the subject of process, are you able to reveal whether Quality Control (Step 6) is performed by any of the same staff who are responsible for either Encapsulation (Step 5) or Packaging/Shipping (Step 7)?

Many thanks for helping us to understand!  :foryou:

Step-1.thumb.png.87b463201422c9d133ad742a93899cb2.png 

Step-2.thumb.png.af03b0429fdc8cbaa1e1df63217c36fb.png

Step-3.thumb.png.7337f81df84a6cdeac30fba9cec7369b.png

Step-4.thumb.png.3ac05b8b4d2744e4454f0d5726cd197a.png

Step-5.thumb.png.4a96287c45dd2dcf12e4ae22e5ab37b0.png

Step-6.thumb.png.567d6dac37a7f7464deb9decc40964e9.png

Step-7.thumb.png.cfc5a886309994ad8d25915e744d4ada.png

When I visited CGC headquarters last year, I saw everything except receiving.  I would rather wait until I am able to visit again, to answer most of this.  I do know that QC was separate from encapsulation and shipping.  It was located in the middle with a half dozen employees.  That group included a manager.  There was also another person who oversaw all of QC.