• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young's UNoriginal art PSA
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Skottie is soon to be offering new prints on his site.  This is not a promotion for that product, but more of a "be on the lookout" as these are prints of his original art and will look super similar to original art.  Again, they will look just like the original art...but are very realistic prints which will have a disclaimer.  Make sure, going forward, you can tell the difference if you are buying original art in the wild.  They really do look AMAZING...but should not be confused with actual pencil and ink art.  See attached photo for that disclaimer on the print. 

Are you guys yay or nay on this kinda thing?

Skottie Young Print.jpg

Edited by IceHole

I like how he produced them on boards with his limited edition markings at the top, rather than signing in the live area. I'm not a print person, but I give a Yay for transparency in his products and doing something a little different.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:43 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I wouldn't buy one; I'd buy the comic.

If he can make money selling them, I wish him the best.

I'm very grateful that he has the disclaimer - hope it's not cut off when placed on eBay.

+1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, IceHole said:

Skottie is soon to be offering new prints on his site.  This is not a promotion for that product, but more of a "be on the lookout" as these are prints of his original art and will look super similar to original art.  Again, they will look just like the original art...but are very realistic prints which will have a disclaimer.  Make sure, going forward, you can tell the difference if you are buying original art in the wild.  They really do look AMAZING...but should not be confused with actual pencil and ink art.  See attached photo for that disclaimer on the print. 

Are you guys yay or nay on this kinda thing?

Skottie Young Print.jpg

More trash which will be worthless in 5 years, same as "artist proofs"

On 8/24/2023 at 7:23 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Nope. It elevates the non-artistic portion to a level of artistry. Like buying a print of Picasso where the image includes someone’s picture frame.

To me, it's basically a limited edition print.  Lots of artists do that.  Looks like he just went the extra mile to hammer home that it is not original art.  At least he's not doing the whole 1 of 1 thing. 

On 8/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, midwestfourcolors said:

I think its a cool item. It might even get more, younger, people into original art.

Have you ever scanned a room at an OA only con? The average age is prob 52... no, I think the ship has sailed on younger people buying paper anything, let alone the paper art comprising a shrinking medium like comics. We are where stamp collecting was 70 years ago: a hobby starting down the long and inevitable road to obsolescence b/c young people found more modern things to care about and spend money on.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:43 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Have you ever scanned a room at an OA only con? The average age is prob 52... no, I think the ship has sailed on younger people buying paper anything, let alone the paper art comprising a shrinking medium like comics. We are where stamp collecting was 70 years ago: a hobby starting down the long and inevitable road to obsolescence b/c young people found more modern things to care about and spend money on.

I’m in my 30’s and I will gladly take all of that worthless Kirby art off your hands!

On 8/25/2023 at 7:43 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Lots of younger people don’t have a lot of spare cash. So, instead of buying “things”, they buy experiences. My oldest likes to travel, and has made it pretty clear he has no interest in collectibles.

No surprise about stamps. Most people use email for personal transactions. To save the future of this hobby, people must be encouraged to read comics. I confess surprise why movie theaters aren’t required to offer comics for sale when they show comic-related movies.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Lots of younger people don’t have a lot of spare cash. So, instead of buying “things”, they buy experiences. My oldest likes to travel, and has made it pretty clear he has no interest in collectibles.

Buying 'experiences' isn't anything new. Travel became a fav pastime for the young ever since the advent of low cost air travel. We're talking 20+ years now. Individuals really need that 'collecting gene' to even remotely be into collectibles. No one in my other half's family have it and they're all considerably older than I am.

What's even more depressing is that whenever I go to a western comic mart (a place where one can buy Marvel or DC back issues) the average ages looks to be about 60. The younger generation seems not to be interested. Comic reading,  and by extension,  Original Comic art collecting,  is an aging hobby.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:50 PM, -m said:

Reading is an aging hobby.

“For the first time in modern history, less than half the adult population now reads literature.” - National Endowment of the Arts

And well more than half continues to suck, big whoop.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:50 PM, -m said:

Reading is an aging hobby.

“For the first time in modern history, less than half the adult population now reads literature.” - National Endowment of the Arts

No one I worked with under 35 years old could write well and I felt it was a direct effect of never reading higher level material. I mentored a younger colleague for three years at the end of my career and his writing faults (incomplete grasp of grammar, poor sentence structure, a vocabulary akin to something out of a Richard Scarry book) were so bad I rewrote 85% of his reports the first year. It turns out he read nothing at all in his spare time, save social media posts -- thus he wrote like a fifth grader. Mind you, this was a college graduate.

Edited by KirbyCollector