• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Smith's Comic Artwork Collection Auction
2 2

46 posts in this topic

well? thoughts on prices? anyone watching on any of the 5 different sites? $9K for a Preacher page but I don't know if that is strong (seems so, but?)

hoped to get a piece or so, nothing so far. underbidder on two pieces but....

Edited by Bird

On 9/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, Bird said:

Im stunned that Quick Stops pages are selling for a few hundred, snootch to the bootch I guess

Agreed. Despite the more obscure platform, and selling many similar pages, I'm seeing healthy prices.

Malvin

On 9/27/2023 at 4:44 PM, Shemp said:

I was surprised at the Green Arrow covers. All went for a healthy amount (some more healthier than others) I was hoping to snake one. It wasn't meant to be. Glad to have bought the two I have.

Same here. I'm glad to have gotten mine the last time Kevin Smith had a sale. Back then it was also an obscure venue.

Malvin

On 9/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Was hoping for a steal on several things I really liked and that sure didn’t happen. Strong overall prices. 

…..the Swamp thing page…is that price because it was super early, issue #21? That price seemed insane to me at over 30k.

Higher price than I expected, but that’s a special issue, The Anatomy Lesson. Maybe Alan Moore’s most revered single issue, and in my view one of the most important (and good!) single issues in all comics. So not surprised it gets a major premium to other swamp thing pages by the same creators, which are pretty $$$ anyway. 

On 9/28/2023 at 1:56 AM, NinjaSealed said:

…..the Swamp thing page…is that price because it was super early, issue #21? That price seemed insane to me at over 30k.

I'm pretty sure privately a few years ago pages from that issue with Swampy were around $20k and if memory serves it's been a long time since a #21 page was offered publicly. Even during the COVID price craze I can't recall seeing a page come up. That particular issue also marked a big turning point for the character so I think it's unsurprising it went at that price.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Was hoping for a steal on several things I really liked and that sure didn’t happen.

I had my pre-auction max bids written down for about 15 items; I ended up underbidder on 3, all well over the #s I had written down to guide myself! I went on a grocery run in the middle and thought about those Quesada pages with Dr Strange...I was still way under with max of 6K on both lots (2 pages in each lot)

Dropped out of the Starman cover at 7500 or so. I used to own 4 and wanted them all at that time; only own 1 now.

Regarding the venue; it is all about the terms. But I thought they had eyes on the art and prices weren't horrible.

Edited by Bird

On 9/28/2023 at 3:56 AM, barneythecantankerous said:

I'm pretty sure privately a few years ago pages from that issue with Swampy were around $20k and if memory serves it's been a long time since a #21 page was offered publicly. Even during the COVID price craze I can't recall seeing a page come up. That particular issue also marked a big turning point for the character so I think it's unsurprising it went at that price.

agreed.    Even with only Swampy's feet being visible, that's THE issue to have a page from.    I love that issue and would love a page but I don't care enough to pay 50k+ for the type of page I'd want.   But I'm sure there's lots of schmucks like me that would stop it from ever getting too cheap.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/27/2023 at 6:07 PM, J.Sid said:

So.... after any fees, tax and shipping, what will the winner have paid for this one?

$80k-ish

On 9/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, Bronty said:

agreed.    Even with only Swampy's feet being visible, that's THE issue to have a page from.    I love that issue and would love a page but I don't care enough to pay 50k+ for the type of page I'd want.   But I'm sure there's lots of schmucks like me that would stop it from ever getting too cheap.

Yeah I figured the issue would be at a premium just not by that much…..especially extrapolating to a page with better content being in the 50k+ range. I still really need to scratch the itch and add a Moore run example.

I thought the Miller DD was about right for a Bullseye fight page pre 168.

The Tim Sale pages did ok, the DPS was pretty strong.

The Sandman pages I probably should have thrown another bid or two on a couple of them…but I think prices are coming down after the pre show hype prices.

I am very surprised the prices were as strong as they were on the Matt Wagner pieces due to the sheer number of them.