• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbed Pedigree Books - Reholdering for Pedigree Label
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Certainly the lawyers won't let CGC guarantee the same grade of a book that is sent in to be reholdered, I get that. 

Does anyone have any insight into sending in slabbed Pedigree books for the colored Pedigree label in terms of good times, bad times, or just plain old tales of the weird?

I have some pedigree books I would like to have the newer label, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the grades. Probably just nerves, but I sure would appreciate anyone having any experience with this.

I've done it in the past and never had a problem.  I don't think there's any risk of a downgrade.  But there is absolutely risk, in terms of getting lost or damage in transit to and from, and damage to the book while at cgc.

I wouldn't do it these days.  I reholder only when necessary.

I've submitted at least 3 pedigree books for re-holder to get the new label, including one that I felt was overgraded by CGC.

All came back with the same grade, including the one with the inflated grade.

I imagine part of the reason CGC issued the new pedigree label is to induce people to do exactly what I did:  pay for unnecessary re-holding.  I guess a grade drop is a potential risk, but it seems like if CGC were to start slamming grades on these it would probably kill off the easy money on pedigree re-holders pretty quick.  

I'd be wary of sending expensive or moderately expensive books back because it may come back with worse than a slightly lower grade, like it goes to them with a blue label and comes back with a higher grade, but .... a green label.  I'd definitely be scared to do it with an expensive/rare book.  That being said, maybe my fears are unwarranted because who knows what percentage of them actually get downgraded.  It could be less than 1%, but I have no idea.

I have a little bit of a different take. I say go for it and get the new labels. That's part of the fun of the hobby. The risk of a downgrade is extremely low. If you enjoy the thought of seeing all your pedigrees in that new label....why not treat yourself? Would love to see them if you get it done. 

Edited by Motor City Rob