• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaulted Labels
3 3

97 posts in this topic

This year I began getting the legacy CGC slabs in my personal collection reholdered at a rate of about one a month.
(a vanity project to have almost all* my cases be the same)
In this process, if there if a custom label I like, I have added it.
I'm excited about this Spider-Man label coming out of the 'vault' because I haven't been a fan of any of the other Spider-Man labels.
Not sure it adds value to the slab, but for $5 why not.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:39 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Okay, let me make sure I got this.  According to you....

Not finding value in custom labels means I shouldn't be on the forum?   

Weren't you the guy whining about someone telling people what to collect... when he wasn't ?

FYI, I don't care what you understood.

Again, it’s the point that you don’t seem to grasp. 
You are so busy trying to be funny, trying to always make a point with negativity, that you can’t just, let it be.

Someone came on here to voice a valid concern, and all you had to offer was your weak sarcastic remarks. You remind me of my 12 year old that just discovered sarcasm, simple, direct, and unable to just let things go that don’t interest you.

If labels don’t interest you, why did you bother opening and reading the thread in the first place? It’s because you are just trying to be funny with your sarcastic remarks. Grow, up, Boomer  

On 9/26/2023 at 7:11 PM, Math Teacher said:

He, and I, use this forum because we are interested in CGC services. I can't speak for the original poster, but the labels are not important to me, and they never will be.

You know, if I didn't know any better, I would think that you are telling other people what to do.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Math Teacher said:

He, in no way, told anyone what they should and not should collect. If you want to infer that from his simple statement, that is on you.

Here comes another one. A vocal minority chiming in to clarify what he or she said. 

I am telling people to lay off and stop :censored: on what people like. 

Stick to what you’re good at with your equations, leave the sociology to others. It’s not your strong suit. 

On 9/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, D2 said:

Someone came on here to voice a valid concern

No, they didn't. They really, really didn't.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, D2 said:

Stick to what you’re good at with your equations, leave the sociology to others. It’s not your strong suit.

You should stick to being... hm yourself. Because you sure aren't good at anything else.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to be defending CGC? Isn't this the best decision in the history of the world? If you don't like what they're doing, why are you here?

On 9/26/2023 at 10:41 AM, D2 said:

It sucks. It sucks thinking people have things in common in a niche hobby and yet, there are still ways people can find to divide each other. 

:facepalm:

Well done. You don't want to see people divided? Look at all the unity you have created in this thread! 

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.06.11 PM.png

I’m not a custom labels person but I can see why those who like them might not like this. I wouldn’t pay any extra for a book with one, but that just means I’m not part of their audience when one day trying to re-sell the book for a premium over a plain label. (I’d still buy a labeled book, just wouldn’t pay more for the custom label, vaulted or no.)

Now, if we could get Ben and Jerry’s to unvault White Russian, that’s a different story :luhv:

On 9/26/2023 at 8:07 PM, Dave2739 said:

Well done. You don't want to see people divided? Look at all the unity you have created in this thread! 

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 8.06.11 PM.png

Lol 15 people? 
Like minded individuals from the peanut gallery? The same, old, tired, crotchety folks that steadily complain about CGC, the very forum they spend countless hours on?

Good show, chap. You must be a hit at parties. 

On 9/27/2023 at 12:17 AM, goldust40 said:

Does this all mean that these bespoke or rather limited edition labels add value to the slabbed book, regardless of grade, title, issue or demand?

I've been missing out. :cry:

To be fair to @Magmar, who has not been back online since starting the thread, and who may or may not be impressed by the way it has developed, I can see his point. Putting aside whether you agree with picture labels or not, it does seem underhand to 'un-retire' a label that - if I'm understanding this correctly - was originally sold on the basis of limited exclusivity. 

For the record, I think picture labels detract from the comic so I'm not a fan. They are jockeying for your attention, and therefore detract from what should be the main event - the presentation of the book. They're a bit like Newton Rings in that respect - something annoying that stops you appreciating the comic in the slab. I also dislike modern images of characters being placed on old books. That seems curiously insulting to the original artist to me.

But there is clearly a market for them and CGC have placed exploiting that market over any other considerations. That's fair enough, as they are a private company. Some of us may feel that the integrity of the hobby has been diluted or cheapened a little by them existing - gimmicks tend to have that affect - but we at least have the choice not to buy them. Having introduced them however, selling a label on an exclusive basis, and then at a later date making it unexclusive is underhand at best, surely.

Have I got that right Magmar? Is that what CGC have done? If so, I say shame on them. If not, why are we here again?

On 9/27/2023 at 12:06 AM, D2 said:

Lol 15 people? 
Like minded individuals from the peanut gallery? The same, old, tired, crotchety folks that steadily complain about CGC, the very forum they spend countless hours on?

Good show, chap. You must be a hit at parties. 

I came back to read the thread this morning and D2 went Vasquez on everyone in here.

XNGF.gif.c0c64266090bd3e4a341aebcc683590a.gif

On 9/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, D2 said:

No one is telling you what to collect. 

So why are you telling people what they should?

What you will find is a lot of people dont like the label’s because it means all the books they have without labels are worth less. The labels add to the comic and despite what people will say make the slabbed comic look more presentable. So while your take may be the correct one, there are going to be plenty that selfishly would like for labels to go away. 

There really isnt an argument against them, they are $5 and can add to the overall look. The argument against them is pathetic. The argument against un-retiring labels that have retired is valid. 

I worked retail in high school and college so know someone, somewhere will complain about something every time. I like the custom labels, especially if it's aligned with the comic I am slabbing (FF 48, Secret Wars 8, etc.) and there's a choice if I want to get it or not. If you want to get it, go for it. If not, move along. 

On 9/27/2023 at 1:11 PM, rexinnih said:

I worked retail in high school and college so know someone, somewhere will complain about something every time. I like the custom labels, especially if it's aligned with the comic I am slabbing (FF 48, Secret Wars 8, etc.) and there's a choice if I want to get it or not. If you want to get it, go for it. If not, move along. 

Exactly. Don’t like the labels? Move along. CGC has said they are here to stay and apparently un-retire when they feel like it.