• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaulted Labels
3 3

97 posts in this topic

A while back CGC came out with the really cool concept of adding artwork to labels.

They then created demand by 'vaulting labels'  so if you were lucky and got your book graded while a label was available it felt 'special'

They just announced they are un-vaulting the NY spiderman label

WHY?>????

This totally takes away from the whole idea of vaulting in the first place -   graded slabs with a highly sought after label were desirable - now it no longer matters - you might as well just not vault anything and have a 100+ to choose from on a drop down

Bad decision to un-vault -   period.  Keep things rare and keep the feeling that you had special labelled slabs -   design new labels instead -  do not un-vault any additional labels - please.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, Magmar said:

A while back CGC came out with the really cool concept of adding artwork to labels.

They then created demand by 'vaulting labels'  so if you were lucky and got your book graded while a label was available it felt 'special'

They just announced they are un-vaulting the NY spiderman label

WHY?>????

This totally takes away from the whole idea of vaulting in the first place -   graded slabs with a highly sought after label were desirable - now it no longer matters - you might as well just not vault anything and have a 100+ to choose from on a drop down

Bad decision to un-vault -   period.  Keep things rare and keep the feeling that you had special labelled slabs -   design new labels instead -  do not un-vault any additional labels - please.

Completely agree with you. Very bad look, move on their part. Come out with a new label for NYCC only but DO NOT “un-retire” a label. So now going forward they have labels that are vaulted instead of retired and are not actually exclusive at all. Only exclusive to a time period. Unbelievable 

On 9/26/2023 at 10:37 AM, Dave2739 said:

Okay, you are right.

It sucks. It sucks thinking people have things in common in a niche hobby and yet, there are still ways people can find to divide each other. 

:facepalm:

lol tbh

I vaguely remember a thread where people begged for this label to come back for a second, and @CGC Mike they tagged him to put in the good word.

Something about a registry and wanting all the same labels, which were EVEN sent in "IN time?" but a few were mechanical errors, but by the time those were sent in, the label was retired?

I may be way out of left field on the reasoning, but could have swore this was tagged for unretirement in a thread of request, hence why it IS BACK for a second. idk

I'm more worried about the guy who said, "no one remembers and there is no proof that the Stan Lee limited label happened!" Something about it not being in the "list of past retired labels?" oye unless I'm dreaming or some kind of deja vu

I have a New York Label, one other label of spidey, but then have 3 to 4 of the Stan Lee and I'm dreading it being to newcomers like 1st gen labels where the new people wonder if even real :sorry: 

Sounds more detrimental to me but rantrant

I think they did the same with some Walking Dead labels in the past, but maybe they weren't available to "everyone" ???

Something about the registry/"ME"S again, but more to the tune of we'll see if we can order more just to cover the "ME'S"

This is more of a rerelease, which I can understand sets precedent. They could at least put "edition 2" on it, or "rerelease" or something?

I haven't really been following labels so forgive my ignorance. Have they ever actually claimed they were never to be reprinted? Based on other products (Disney for example), being put in a vault never means it's permanently exclusive. It just means it's going away for an unknown period.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, Tnexus said:

I haven't really been following labels so forgive my ignorance. Have they ever actually claimed they were never to be reprinted? Based on other products (Disney for example), being put in a vault never means it's permanently exclusive. It just means it's going away for an unknown period.

idk if it was as clearly stated, imo it only said "limited edition", and CGC said that was due to copyright and other contractual stuff that we are not exactly privy too.

In short and for the most part, they HAVE BEEN limited, this has at least been since 2016, so that is half a decade with limited efficiency....

Beyond that reputation and etc. but that is my understanding :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/26/2023 at 11:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Things that I don't understand, having read this thread:

• Vaulted labels
  • Unvaulted labels
  • Adamantium
  • The world anymore

Speaking of which, is there a place for a list of retired labels? 

I'm curious to see how far back they go, and if the Stan label is there because I know there were 2 official editions: 1 for his website at the time, which was even 'more limited". :insane:and then one in "general availability" directly from CGC...