• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Action #2 Cover
3 3

41 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, NJComicGuy said:

I realize this is only a cover, but I was still hoping for a grade. I didn't realize a "cover only" will only be authenticated, but remain ungraded. Bummer.

Is there no option for this cover to get graded?

CGC4310075-001_OBV.thumb.jpg.e568707f6ad343eeabd686b0a6649408.jpg

First off- very cool cover! 

The short answer to your question is no,  you can't get a grade on a cover only. What you got is what you typically see.  I suppose you could petition a "NG" label.

But it can't get a .5 without more of the book being present. For example an otherwise complete book without a page or BC would get a .5. 

On 9/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, NJComicGuy said:

I realize this is only a cover, but I was still hoping for a grade. I didn't realize a "cover only" will only be authenticated, but remain ungraded. Bummer.

wow, what a cool artifact.   Congrats.   I know you were hoping for a grade but it looks terrific in the holder and I think any buyer can see its very well preserved. (thumbsu

If I had a magic wand, I’d have CGC start grading covers and pages. They vary in quality just as much as the books themselves, and would benefit from a grade. But maybe CGC has opted not to out of concern that people will start cutting up books.

anyway, here’s another example of a cover only, currently being offered o eBay

IMG_4355.jpeg

On 9/28/2023 at 12:43 PM, NJComicGuy said:

:jawdrop:

:golfclap:

Beautiful!!  CGC should at least have given the artist credit.  What's the background on this?  I'm so jealous!

On 9/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, NJComicGuy said:

Sure, I bought this directly from Gary Colabuono circa 2004 timeframe. I'm contemplating listing for sale on one of the auction sites at some point in the near future.

So great to see this treasure again after 18 years, Brian.  The sellers remorse kicked in immediately.  Thankfully I'm finally over it!  <3

On 9/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, NJComicGuy said:

Sure, I bought this directly from Gary Colabuono circa 2004 timeframe. I'm contemplating listing for sale on one of the auction sites at some point in the near future.

How near? I would absolutely be interested in that auction!

On 10/7/2023 at 4:19 AM, AJD said:

What's that panel in your sig? It's terrific.

It's Jenny Trent from the "Journey Into Danger" storyline.  Another obscure character from the late 50's that followed some David Wright material in Tit-Bits magazine (UK).  She's a character I hope to collect more of.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:20 AM, NJComicGuy said:

As an FYI, I just listed this with Comic Link for the upcoming Nov 17 Fall Featured Auction with no reserve.

I'm certainly curious to see how this is going to end after holding onto this item for some 18, or so, years...

image.thumb.png.66cb299a45a09dfea8062d7a0f092f5f.png

Good luck, Brian.  It's going to do very well.  And whomever buys it will love it like we did.

I wouldn't care much about it not having a grade. Anyone can see it looks perfect. 

But I would write the boys at comiclink and ask them to change that from CGC NO GRADE to CGC COVER ONLY.  CGC "NO GRADE" seems unecessary. 

On 11/2/2023 at 10:57 PM, Professor K said:

I wouldn't care much about it not having a grade. Anyone can see it looks perfect. 

But I would write the boys at comiclink and ask them to change that from CGC NO GRADE to CGC COVER ONLY.  CGC "NO GRADE" seems unecessary. 

It's a proof though.  Not really a "cover".  I am happy that they've noted that on the label.

@NJComicGuy was the interior printed as well or is this just the outside?

The Double Action 2 cover auction is now active at ComicLink, and still quite reasonable at the current moment

image.thumb.png.c67e1c3a8aee000a8a9fb6dd299c0e65.png

ComicLink is also offering a cover-only DETECTIVE #27 in the same auction, impressively valued at $76k so far. This makes me ponder the unrealized upside potential if I held onto the DA2 for some time longer...

image.thumb.png.5619f70e161fc78441128b98f8917e67.png