• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hitler's hitlist
2 2

23 posts in this topic

We know that Hitler was furious of "Three Stooges" made the mockery of the Third Reich Government and he wanted them to be dead.

Other famous people were on his hitlist:

Adolf Hitlist

• Sir Winston Churchill , wartime PM
  • Noel Coward , playwright
  • Vera Brittain, author, feminist and mother of former Lid Dem MP Baroness Shirley Williams
  • HG Wells, science fiction author
  • EM Forster, novelist
  • Aldous Huxley, writer and philosopher
  • Virginia Woolf , author
  • Robert Baden Powell , lieutenant-general in the British Army and founder of the Scout Movement
  • Sigmund Freud , Austrian neurologist, father of psychoanalysis
  • Violet Bonham Carter, daughter of former PM Herbert Asquith.
  • Sylvia Pankhurst, campaigner for the suffragette movement
  • JB Priestley, novelist, playwright and broadcaster
  • Paul Robeson, American singer, actor and Civil Rights activist
  • Sybil Thorndike, actress
  • Clement Atlee, wartime deputy PM
  • Neville Chamberlain , PM at the start of the Second World War
  • Conrad O’Brien-ffrench, MI6 agent and inspiration for James Bond

We know there were many mockeries of Hitler on the comic books but I would not find anyone who drew or wrote of Hitler that were on the list.  Do you know anyone on his hitlist?   Your knowledges and contributions will be appreciated.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:18 PM, SuperBat5000 said:

I read that the Nazis were angered off by the cover of Captain America #1.. no joke!

I know Cap 1 caused controversy in the states. Having the benefit of hindsight, I was shocked to learn how divided America was.  I just assumed 99% of the country would support punching Hitler in the face, but prior to Pearl Harbor that wasn't the case. 

Reading about that division and the controversy that followed Cap 1, made me appreciate Simon and Kirby even more.  

In any event, I wonder if that cover ever made its way to Hitler. I suspect it didn't,  but could be wrong. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, KCOComics said:

Oh yes. That's pretty clear. 

But WWII always seemed cut and dry. Nazi's were bad guys. We were good guys.

So I was surprised that so much of the country was outraged at the image of Hitler getting decked. I guess I always assumed it was a universal sentiment, even prior to the war.  

Most of Europe - even those under direct threat - were very slow - or perhaps just reluctant - to realize what that threat meant and there were certainly divisions about what, if anything, should be done (see Chamberlain v. Churchill).  The amount and level of appeasement and allowance of treaty violations by the Nazis throughout the 1930s is really astounding, even factoring out hindsight.  Now, the fact that Europe had been in a pretty devastating war only 20 years prior - and could be said in some ways to have not even recovered from that experience - helps lend context to their unwillingness to take strong action that might, in their minds, have risked an earlier war.  It's not hard to understand people who are living in peace not wanting to jump right back into war.  Most people feel that way most of the time.  Undoubtedly, many Americans felt the same way, despite the relatively short participation in World War I which of course didn't have nearly the impact domestically as it had in Europe.  Being attacked does lend some clarity.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, adamstrange said:

Siegel and Shuster were mentioned unfavorably in an SS newspaper from 1940.

Superman Attacked in Nazi Newspaper.jpg

Cool finding!  I found the article and quoted "During World War II, Siegel and Shuster drew Superman defeating Hitler, even Nazi Germany saw this comic and said that “Siegel was attempting to push his Jewish agenda.”

I still can't find both creators were on the list.

On 9/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, KCOComics said:

Oh yes. That's pretty clear. 

But WWII always seemed cut and dry. Nazi's were bad guys. We were good guys.

So I was surprised that so much of the country was outraged at the image of Hitler getting decked. I guess I always assumed it was a universal sentiment, even prior to the war.  

Adding to MattTheDuck's excellent comments -- Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay novel does a great job of dramatizing a thinly-veiled fictional version of the Captain America #1 publication controversy. Well worth reading (for so many different reasons!) if you haven't already.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:38 AM, KCOComics said:

I know Cap 1 caused controversy in the states. Having the benefit of hindsight, I was shocked to learn how divided America was.  I just assumed 99% of the country would support punching Hitler in the face, but prior to Pearl Harbor that wasn't the case. 

Reading about that division and the controversy that followed Cap 1, made me appreciate Simon and Kirby even more.  

In any event, I wonder if that cover ever made its way to Hitler. I suspect it didn't,  but could be wrong. 

No doubt Hitler's supporters and devoted followers didn't take too kindly to Cap #2 either.

Not content with Jack Kirby landing one punch Joe Simon made sure Der Fuehrer got seconds... 

ea103ddb-b788-42dc-8e14-e06c83d187e1_zpso8ofz4pe.jpeg.685284c892a6aa896124254aae521636.jpeg

Bund rallies are a sad part of our history. At one point Hitler had a sizable minority of misguided Americans brainwashed.

Fortunately, we've matured well beyond that. :shiftyeyes:

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added for Oktoberfest.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

No doubt Hitler's supporters and devoted followers didn't take too kindly to Cap #2 either.

Not content with Jack Kirby landing one punch Joe Simon made sure Der Fuehrer got seconds... 

ea103ddb-b788-42dc-8e14-e06c83d187e1_zpso8ofz4pe.jpeg.685284c892a6aa896124254aae521636.jpeg

Bund rallies are a sad part of our history. At one point Hitler had a sizable minority of misguided Americans brainwashed.

Fortunately, we've matured well beyond that. :shiftyeyes:

:cheers:

I grew up in Royal Oak, Michigan, and one of the Catholic churches there—Shrine of the Little Flower—was founded by a Catholic priest named Charles Coughlin who hosted an immensely popular national radio broadcast. His program was anti-Semitic and sympathetic to Nazi Germany; he even received some funding from Nazi Germany. He was finally forced off the air around 1940.