• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keith Giffen, dead at age 70
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2023 at 1:26 PM, comicstock said:

I enjoyed his Action Comics issues with Ambush Bug.

You should read his 80s Ambush Bug mini-series as well for Giffen’s humour at its most unrestrained inventiveness.

In addition the work previously mentioned here, he also was instrumental in getting DC's weekly series "52" out the door on time, every week, doing most of the breakdowns for the revolving door of pencilers needed to make that project work. 

A great talent, will sorely be missed.  

Just FYI (but especially to the younger boardies out there) - Giffen did the artwork & helped with the plotting on a short-lived series called "The Heckler" from DC Comics back in the early '90s.  It's such a great, hilarious and loving parody of superhero comics.  Highly recommended.  Much more light-hearted than his equally excellent Lobo miniseries (both of them), and super cheap in any back-issue bin.  RIP

On 10/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, Ken Aldred said:

You should read his 80s Ambush Bug mini-series as well for Giffen’s humour at its most unrestrained inventiveness.

The Ambush Bug mini, Son of Ambush Bug, and the Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer Xmas special are near and dear to me to a degree I'm uncomfortable discussing... lol

When AB (SPOILERS) deflates Darkseid, i thought that was the funniest thing as a pre-teen comics fan.  The Mitsu Bishi panels (though not exactly racially sensitive) were a favorite, as well.   RIP Cheeks and Kevin.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:15 AM, Jesse Larson said:

The Ambush Bug mini, Son of Ambush Bug, and the Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer Xmas special are near and dear to me to a degree I'm uncomfortable discussing... lol

When AB (SPOILERS) deflates Darkseid, i thought that was the funniest thing as a pre-teen comics fan.  The Mitsu Bishi panels (though not exactly racially sensitive) were a favorite, as well.   RIP Cheeks and Kevin.

His Legion of Substitute Heroes work is legendary.

I loved his work on Legion and Justice League. While he could always take things a little too far and some of his work was not to my liking (Trencher-anything in that style), overall he created some great books that could be both grim and humerous at a time when comics were taking themselves way too seriously. Whenever I see a James Gunn or Taika Waititi production, the humor (and absurd violence) reminds me of Keith's late 80's/early 90's comics. I own several of his pages from the 5 Yr Later Run of Legion that I treasure including one on my wall. RIP Keith!