• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think CGC should slow down with the Pedigree designations. They are cheapening it.
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2023 at 7:44 PM, MusterMark said:

Disagree

Also disagree. This smacks of someone has self-interest at heart.

A pedigree is a pedigree. If it fits the criteria of the pedigree then you just can't shut the door on new collections that come to light.

There are hundreds of thousands of personal OO collections all over the world. There is only a very small percentage of OO collections that have agreed pedigree status...so the premise of 'stop classifying books as pedigrees' is frankly nonsense.

As I said, if it's a pedigree...then it's a pedigree.

2c 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, action1kid said:

I know. $$$$$$$$$!$

I believe you might be confusing official CGC pedigrees with the CGC "named collections" (eg. Bobby Blue Collection) and then there's the CGC books affixed with stickers by the auction houses themselves (eg. Feed Store Collection) for the sole purpose of helping to market the books.  :gossip:

The last and most recent collection to receive official CGC pedigree status was the Promise Collection and if I remember correctly, that was back in the Spring of 2021.  The one before that was the Chinatown pedigree and I believe that one came in the summer of 2020 and I personally believe that both of these collections were fully deserving of their official CGC pedigree status.  :luhv:  :applause:

Certainly can't say the same with that large number of so-called pedigrees that they added back in July of 2019 when they were introducing their brand new pedigree label and decided that they better throw a bunch of new pedigrees into the mix in order to help promote their new pedigree label.  Especially when it came to the Cookville's, Eldon's, and Harold Curtis because I personally felt that they did not meet the most important criteria for pedigree designation, namely the requirement that the collection must consist of exceptional high grade quallity books.  Or to be more precise, how many or what tiny percentage of the books from these 3 huge massive collections actually graded out to CGC 9.0 or above (Answer: very very few).  Then again, I guess it met the other criteria for pedigree designation, namely the requirment that the collection must consist of a considerable number of books from an original owner, and I guess this must have sent visions to the CCG ownersip group of thousands upon thousands of "new pedigree" books being sent back into CCS/CGC for reholdering and possibly even for pressing and regrading.  :devil:  :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/13/2023 at 6:48 AM, sfcityduck said:

“Agreed status” is no longer the criteria. CGC decides even for books that no one has seen.

I take your point on that but actually that was a typo on my part. I meant to say achieved pedigree status. 

Edited by Paul (GG) © ® ™⚽️💙

On 10/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, action1kid said:

I think CGC should slow down with the Pedigree designations.  They are cheapening it.

Respectfully, to insinuate that CGC has recently flooded the market with new pedigree designations is simply Fake NewsTM(tsk)  CGC has been recognizing an average of one (1) new pedigree per year during the past 15 years.  Since 2008, CGC added more than two new pedigrees only once --  in 2019, when they decided to finally officially recognize four exceptional Golden Age collections that had long been considered "pedigree quality" by most serious GA collectors.  Furthermore, CGC has only added two (2) new pedigrees during the past four years.  :foryou:

On 10/13/2023 at 12:30 AM, lou_fine said:

Especially when it came to the Cookvilles, Eldon's, and Harold Curtis because I personally felt that they did not meet the most important criteria for pedigree designation, namely the requirement that the collection must consist of exceptional high grade quality books.

One thing that's worth mentioning about those pedigrees is that they all have markings that are recognizable to collectors. For that reason, that story behind those collections was of interest to many GA collectors long before CGC approved the pedigree designations. That's a good enough reason to acknowledge the pedigree status on the labels.

I would support recognizing the Cape Cod collection for the same reason.

Some collections, like the Guy Holcombe books, are trickier because they are interesting to collectors but fall far short when it comes to grades. At least the three collections mentioned above have many books in the VF range, which most collectors consider the threshold for high grade. Maybe books from known lower-grade original-owner collections could be tracked with a notation on the label the same way that the provenance of some second-owner books (Ruben Blades, Nicolas Cage, etc.) are tracked.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/12/2023 at 1:59 PM, Telegan said:

I actually like some of the history behind pedigrees, so if they exist by definition, I'd like to know more about them and see more of them.  Heck, I even like some of the stories behind "colllections" that don't qualify as pedigrees.  These things lend some history to comic collecting.

Am looking forward to the Grandma Blue Promise collection, first fantastic 'pedigree' of 2024.

image.jpeg.831d33384c3ced7b64658ccb0c1c22ee.jpeg

On 10/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Especially when it came to the Cookville's, Eldon's, and Harold Curtis because I personally felt that they did not meet the most important criteria for pedigree designation, namely the requirement that the collection must consist of exceptional high grade quallity books. 

On 10/13/2023 at 6:06 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

At least the three collections mentioned above have many books in the VF range, which most collectors consider the threshold for high grade.

Well, I would most certainly hope that many of the already graded copies have been certified in the VF range, especially considering that most collectors would not have bothered to send their lower condition copies in for grading.  (thumbsu

Correct me if I am wrong which would not be surprising, but I believe the overwhelming majority of the copies that we have seen here on the boards from these 3 "pedigree" collections would grade out only in the CGC 5.5 to 7.5 grade range, with very very few in CGC 9.0 or above.  hm  (shrug)

Definitely nothing or nowhere even close to what we would see from the overwhelming majority of the Church, Allentown, or Promise pedigrees.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine