• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Fall Edition #8 Round 3
8 8

158 posts in this topic

5 points, I will take it pretty much not overthinking it any more (other than holy cow there are a lot of grades near each other for this batch)

Headline Comics #11  6.0  me 6.5  +1

Out of the Shadows #8  4.0  me 3.0  +2

Fight Comics #28  5.0  Me 5.5   +1

My Romantic Adventures #68 6.5  me 6.0  +1

Nature Boy #3  7.0  Me 7.0

Not too shabby (+5) considering how hard I felt this round was.  I can't believe the MRA 68 got a 6.5 with all the issues.  I was thinking 5.0 but gave it a golden age bump.

Headline Comics #11 @ 5.5  (+1) 

Out of the Shadows #8  @ 4.5  (+1)

Fight Comics #28 @ 5.0   (0) 

My Romantic Adventures #68   @ 5.5   (+2)  Ouch

Nature Boy #3  @ 6.5  (+1)

On 10/31/2023 at 8:27 PM, Point Five said:

On 10/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, Point Five said:

The Nature Boy was one of my two bullseyes. It's an odd one for sure. All those flaws you rightly mention, yet the edges are just unusually nice and sharp... take a look again at how crisp that right edge is. I was guessing that gave it a gentle nudge upward.

I took a second look, thanks Point Five. Trying to reimagine what a 7.0 could be. Just always had a little higher standard for a 7.0 I need to re calibrate. I need to be a little more forgiving, I tend to grade a 7 more like an 8 I guess.

9 for me. Two grades off on every book (either higher or lower) except for Nature Boy which I was off by 1. In hindsight, I was thinking this round was going to run the table with grades from 5.0-7.0 but alas it did not.

I had the Out Of Shadows at a 5.0. Only reason being the GA bump. Also I own FF49 with a small corner piece missing (maybe mine is smaller?) and mine got a 5.0. At any rate, probably puts me waaaaay out of any potential contention but bring on the next one.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

I expect the anticipation of the results are high.  As soon as I receive them, they will be posted.

Not at all, Mike. I'm sure everyone is happy to wait, and are probably off doing something else without giving it a second thought.... 

Spoiler

tumblr_ab6aaeb4d8e715daef2f4769c7d56913_46e1107d_400.gif.3a6a3c6cf93780b4514922d3af5a9cc8.gif

On 10/31/2023 at 11:18 PM, JollyComics said:

Where are Waldo graders?

Last two books are way too high.  Too much tanning and dust shadows.

I'm with you on this... I had a good round except for those two.

Headline Comics #11 - 5.5 (+1)

Out of the Shadows #8 - 4.0 🎯

Fight Comics #28 - 4.5 (+1)

My Romantic Adventures #68 - 4.5 (+4)

Nature Boy #3 - 5.0 (+4)

Wow, last round was one of my best ever, and this was one of my worst! If I ever see that Nature Boy comic in person, I'm setting it on fire!

On 11/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I always use the websites grading scale to get an idea of the grade. Just not sure when a moderate defect becomes a major one. I guess a definition of small defect would also help. I really had no idea how to gauge the detached centerfold.

A few yrs back I was watching ETA Nicks YT Videos and he had a grading cheat sheet has been a handy template for me. Nothing is perfect but his submitting over 1000's of books, he was a crackerjack.

I'm getting killed on this because I'm not posting my first impression. So far, the numbers that come to mind in the first 3 seconds of looking at the covers are more accurate than anything I get after looking more carefully. This round, I got a 7 with no bullseyes, but would have had a 5 with 2 bulls-eyes if I'd gone with my first impression. The only reason it would have been that high is that the stain on My Romantic Adventures really threw me.

Title Issue Prelim Grade Final Grade CGC grade Points Absolute
Headline Comics  11 6 6.5 6 1 1
Out of the Shadows 8 3.5 3.5 4 -1 1
Fight Comics 28 5 5.5 5 1 1
My Romantic Adventures 68 5 5 6.5 -3 3
Nature Boy 3 6.5 6.5 7 -1 1