• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! — CGC nefarious behavior! Any advice/help would be appreciated.
6 6

183 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, Ghostzapper said:

Thank you for your comments. I posed that question to CGC Mike. Do you have video of my box after it was opened, where it was taken and discarded, if somehow my magazine was left inside. Was it then found away from video sight, discarded or at that point taken by someone finding it because it was away from video sight. Questions I have but I’ll wait until I hear their explanation of the events that happened.

All I can say was there were 3 items in the box, 2 comics packed separately and 1 magazine packed separately. The invoices were taped to their respective order. And sandwiched together in one box.We will see.

I'd say at this point you have the best person on the job and I'd give @CGC Mike the benefit of the doubt and let him work. 

I think that feeding the rumor mill probably won't help your chances any so give it a bit of time and see what they come up with. 

The answer is one of these at this point...

1) You forgot to put the magazine in and misplaced (or placed in some other parcel). It happens

2) Someone somewhere opened and took the magazine out (post office, or elsewhere along its travels)

3) Person at CGC took out comics and did not empty the entire package

If 3), the book could have later been found OR got destroyed if their practice is to customer boxes once books removed

On 11/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, wombat said:

You would think this would be part of training 101 for these guys. Please make sure you completely look through all packages as sometimes there are books on the bottom. But knowing what slips through "QC" it certainly isn't shocking. 

I suspect you don't find the best and the brightest in the opening boxes department.

• Administrator
On 11/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, Ghostzapper said:

I’ll wait until I hear their explanation of the events that happened.

I had a call with the customer service manager today regarding this.  You should be hearing from us by the end of day.  Please be patient a while longer.   

CGC has the perpetual ‘help wanted’ sign hanging. Heard stories from submitters at shows, they have seen someone roughly handling stacks of books for submission because there is only 1 or 2 people who have to work at breakneck speed to get them all done. I’m sure the private equity people have squeezed every dime from the process. If shyte gets lost, oh well, just keep the wheels moving

On 11/2/2023 at 4:18 AM, DougC said:

I am going to assume this will go the way of every other "CGC lost my books" thread; you will be strung along in the hopes that you give up, when that fails they will say it is your fault and you didn't send the book (and no, you can't look at the video we don't actually have), the only other option is might offer some system credit if you stop posting about it.

You seem to be in the middle of "just wait" and "not our fault" leading into "pound sand territory"; depending on the value of the magazine or the time you wish to spend you could contact the Consumer Protection Division (AG office) of Florida to lodge a complaint. You should take the time to write an organized and informed brief including CGC's response and unwillingness to provide proof in any way. Expand upon how this was handled, include package weights, why you believe you have been wronged when they didn't reach out after not receiving the book (did they receive the invoice?).

So far they have not lost a large enough book to really shine the light on them (though threads like this are becoming rather common) but eventually someone with enough FAFO money is going to be wronged and try to file in court which would show the video evidence in question during discovery unless they settled.

IIRC earlier this year a Hulk 181 was stolen (empty box) and CGC just said "sucks to suck and we already threw the box away nerd" but the person in question eventually replied via PM they were no longer "allowed" to speak about it.

Its also possible the video wasnt recorded. Unless a letter asking that they preserve the evidence is sent in, on any one instance, they have the right to delete the video if it part of the normal process. This is common practice as video takes up space, costs money and they are not obligated to keep it forever. Likely housed on servers for a max of 6 months. 

Really early sorry to hear about this. 

It's also unfortunate you had to escalate the issue here to have someone look at it frame by frame. 

I'm glad you're being made hole at least. 

It seems crazy that guys who's job is to open comic books, could accidentally discard an entire well packed magazine. I guess they thought it was protective cardboard?

imagine if you had trusted CGC after their first response of "you didn't pack the book, we totally looked at the video... trust us" now there comes another headache.... How much did you declare the book was worth? hopefully the 4k you believe it is worth as they are likely not going to give you a penny over any declared about and will likely try and pinch some off of any value as a settlement.

Instead of a monetary settlement there are 9.2 copies available on the market for around 4k (that CGC could probably get cheaper) as a full replacement which could bring both parties closer to whole.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:14 PM, DougC said:

imagine if you had trusted CGC after their first response of "you didn't pack the book, we totally looked at the video... trust us" now there comes another headache.... How much did you declare the book was worth? hopefully the 4k you believe it is worth as they are likely not going to give you a penny over any declared about and will likely try and pinch some off of any value as a settlement.

Instead of a monetary settlement there are 9.2 copies available on the market for around 4k (that CGC could probably get cheaper) as a full replacement which could bring both parties closer to whole.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen. It was Minty, I declared $4000, could have been a lot more. It’s what I was hoping, sent in for a clean/press/grading. I had it many years and it’s the first magazine I ever submitted.

Lesson learned - apparently we now need to pack our books in a safe and clearly visible manner.  Maybe I’ll put some flashing LED lights around each book in my next submission.

Is it really asking too much that the person charged with unpacking a box do a thorough job?  A FOOM 10 is now lost to the dumpster because receiving couldn’t fully empty a box of submissions.  :facepalm:

“Fun” aside - I got a $0 invoice from NGC the other day, and I know that my NYCC books were recently submitted.  And I know my facilitator didn’t screw up.  After Ghostzapper’s story, now I’m really wondering if my books are actually going to get where they’re supposed to go.

Well, (edited to say) short of finding the missing book, from my perspective this sounds like it's a win, win for everyone.

Ghostzapper gets made whole, and everyone including he, CGC and the audience all learn valuable lessons. The lesson is more valuable than the comic, right?

Hopefully they don't come down too hard on the employee who lost the book.

Awesome stuff! 🤟

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/3/2023 at 10:04 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, from my perspective this sounds like it's a win, win for everyone.

Ghostzapper gets made whole, and everyone including he, CGC and the audience all learn valuable lessons. The lesson is more valuable than the comic, right?

Hopefully they don't come down too hard on the employee who lost the book.

Awesome stuff! 🤟

I hope you’re being facetious.