• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,357 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2023 at 9:11 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Catching up here. Has any effort been made to reach an agreement with Mike to send a small group to his location to take possession of the books, who can then distribute to the proper owners?

He gets the responsibility off his plate and people get their books back. Seems more efficient and likely to get results than legal action, threats, etc.

Yes, in the original thread, several boardies offered to help cover shipping costs.  When he said he didn't have time to press books, answer emails, follow the thread, AND send out books, several boardies offered to help package and ship books.  Each time was met with belligerence from Mike.  The boards showed him more kindness than he deserved, and each time was met with excuses and animosity.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, Pinch said:

Good evening all. Some suggestions from a long time lurker on these boards who happens to live in Oregon. I was talking about this charlatan with my cousin who is a lawyer here in Oregon also. So this guy got in a wreck, drunk, and lied to the responding officers (allegedly.)  He is still in jail it would seem as the column marked charge release date will show the date he bonds out if he does. My cousin also suggested hiring a lawyer (not him) in this state to pursue the matter of the missing property. It would require someone to spearhead gathering the potential plaintiffs information on their losses with as much documentation as possible. Maybe one of his victims lives relatively close would want to take up the reins but the BBB will not do much in this state. It is at a point where a lawyer needs to get involved, even if he dies in the middle of all this a lawyer would be able to attach a lien to his estate. It most likely will not be cheap. Anyway there you go. I sincerely hope all this works out and the victims are made whole. Take care.

this is great advice, and is the best choice in a full bucket of bad choices.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Security probably means "bail" and that is pending, hence he is still in custody. He can't pay his bail. I truly hope he can bounce back from this for everyone's sake. 

Ugh.  I can't wait for his next promotion.  Send your books in for restoration so I can make bail.  What a mess.

Okay...this next update is going to be a doozy. I have spoken directly with a few people who have shared some potentially horrible news, these are very reliable contacts that are close to the situation and want their names to remain out of this for now (but continue to help and are also monitoring the boards). These are not MY claims, but coming from people I feel are justified in their concern, and have allowed me to share them so they may remain anonymous for now.

I've been informed that some people suspect there is possibility Mike has been selling customer books. This isn't a definitive claim (nor one I am making personally)

Just over a month ago when his girlfriend kicked him out he opened up a store front in downtown Corvallis called Cool Stuff. He moved all his personal belongings, including stuff from the Hero Restoration business, into that shop and has been selling all sorts of things out of it (no online presence is known though). I am told he has failed to pay rent on it and it is at risk of being evicted - the landlord however cannot release the contents of it to others not on the lease (which makes sense, they don't know who really owns what).

If this info had came from any other source other than where I got it from I would be very skeptical - but in this case I will trust them enough to pass along their claims due to how bonkers this situation has gotten (maybe he opened up a legit shop to sell his own comics, it's possible, but considering how downhill this has gone and how hard up for money he was anything is possible). To be clear: While the sources were VERY good (it was very surprising that I heard from these people - I am very appreciative of their efforts and will respect their right to remain anonymous for now), but until it is 100% confirmed please take this with a grain of salt. I don't wish to fear-monger or spread lies, rather I simply feel it best to pass along what information comes my way that might help spur action.

He no longer has any cell phones, so there isn't any value in trying to reach him that way (so no sense bugging the new owner of the numbers - Leave Tim alone :D ). The only way to reach him is obviously through the sheriffs office where it is expected he will remain in jail until his trial in January. His previous lawyers have all quit on him due to non-payment, so I can't see any of them coming to his rescue at this point.

Will keep everyone updated with what else I that is sent to me (so long as it is relevant), as it seems I've become the defacto middle man when it comes to Hero Restoration information handling & news. At this point thought someone else in America has to be the one to take any actual legal action...I am a lone far off Canadian, so not the ideal person to do anything about that.

Edited by Sauce Dog

None of this is surprising. I always feared the selling of books to live on or to pay medical bills. Very sad news. :sorry:

They keep people in that long for misdemeanors (or is one a felony) without citing them out to court? :whatthe:

On 12/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Okay...this next update is going to be a doozy. I have spoken directly with a few people who have confirmed some horrible news, these are very reliable contacts that are close to the situation and want their names to remain out of this for now (but continue to help and are also monitoring the boards).

It looks like there is a good chance Mike has been selling customer books. 

Just over a month ago when his girlfriend kicked him out he opened up a store front in downtown Corvallis called Cool Stuff (name might be a little longer though, waiting on the full exact business name and address). He moved all his personal belongings into that shop and has been selling all sorts of things out of it (no online presence is known though). It is unknown however how far back the selling goes (or exactly which books), we know about the store front but it is possible books were gone before it got to this point. He has however failed to pay rent on it and it is at risk of being evicted - the landlord however cannot release the contents of it to others not on the lease (which makes sense, they don't know who really owns what). We are unsure of how to proceed as he isn't getting out of jail anytime soon. I will be speaking with the sheriffs next week and perhaps something will come of that. If this info had came from any other source other than where I got it from I would be very skeptical - but in this case I believe it is legit due to his desperation (maybe he opened up a shop to sell his own comics, it's possible, but considering how downhill this has gone and how hard up for money he was I'm going to lean towards it not being fully legit). To be clear: Signs point to this being the case, and the sources were VERY good, but until it is 100% confirmed please take this with a grain of salt.

He no longer has any cell phones, so there isn't any value in trying to reach him that way (so no sense bugging the new owner of the numbers). The only way to reach him is obviously through the sheriffs office where it is expected he will remain in jail until his trial in January. His previous lawyers have all quit on him due to non-payment, so I can't see any of them coming to his rescue at this point.

There is more, but this is the biggie. Will keep everyone updated with what else I find. At this point we need someone nearby to take actual legal action...I am a lone far off Canadian that can't do much else.

Thanks for the update.  As bad as it's been up to this point selling customer's books would be outright theft.  I hope this isn't so but clearly he's desperate.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:13 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks for the update.  As bad as it's been up to this point selling customer's books would be outright theft.  I hope this isn't so but clearly he's desperate.

Yeah, I want to remain hopeful and I am not saying this is 100% the case that he has sold customer books (like I said above, he might have legitimately decided to dissolve his LLCs, open a store front, move in all his belongings - including everything associated with Hero Restoration, and start selling collectibles for a living)...but where this claim came from made all the difference to me (I wish I could tell you more but it is important to them to stay out of this for the time being)

On 12/15/2023 at 5:27 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah, I want to remain hopeful and I am not saying this is 100% the case that he has sold customer books (like I said above, he might have legitimately decided to dissolve his LLCs, open a store front, move in all his belongings - including everything associated with Hero Restoration, and start selling collectibles for a living)...but where this claim came from made all the difference to me (I wish I could tell you more but it is important to them to stay out of this for the time being)

I would think a storefront would not be a good place to sell high value comic books  Perhaps anyone who sent books to him should also watch the usual auction sites.

It might also make sense to create a list of all missing books so the various board detectives can look for them.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:04 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Okay...this next update is going to be a doozy. I have spoken directly with a few people who have confirmed some horrible news, these are very reliable contacts that are close to the situation and want their names to remain out of this for now (but continue to help and are also monitoring the boards).

It looks like there is a good chance Mike has been selling customer books. 

Just over a month ago when his girlfriend kicked him out he opened up a store front in downtown Corvallis called Cool Stuff (name might be a little longer though, waiting on the full exact business name and address). He moved all his personal belongings into that shop and has been selling all sorts of things out of it (no online presence is known though). It is unknown however how far back the selling goes (or exactly which books), we know about the store front but it is possible books were gone before it got to this point. He has however failed to pay rent on it and it is at risk of being evicted - the landlord however cannot release the contents of it to others not on the lease (which makes sense, they don't know who really owns what). We are unsure of how to proceed as he isn't getting out of jail anytime soon. I will be speaking with the sheriffs next week and perhaps something will come of that. If this info had came from any other source other than where I got it from I would be very skeptical - but in this case I believe it is legit due to his desperation (maybe he opened up a shop to sell his own comics, it's possible, but considering how downhill this has gone and how hard up for money he was I'm going to lean towards it not being fully legit). To be clear: Signs point to this being the case, and the sources were VERY good, but until it is 100% confirmed please take this with a grain of salt.

He no longer has any cell phones, so there isn't any value in trying to reach him that way (so no sense bugging the new owner of the numbers). The only way to reach him is obviously through the sheriffs office where it is expected he will remain in jail until his trial in January. His previous lawyers have all quit on him due to non-payment, so I can't see any of them coming to his rescue at this point.

There is more, but this is the biggie. Will keep everyone updated with what else I find. At this point we need someone nearby to take actual legal action...I am a lone far off Canadian that can't do much else.

Well let's just hope that the place won't get burgled

Edited by Poka