• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst Sidekick of all time
4 4

69 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2023 at 1:43 PM, Kramerica said:

I think Robin wins it hands down. Wearing the worst costume ever Robin was so despised that DC Comics gave readers the opportunity to call a 800 number and vote whether to kill him or not. Of course he was killed.

I would guess that just as many would argue that Robin is also the best sidekick of all time which would disqualify him as being the worst of all time. No one is going to argue that Woozy is the best sidekick of all time. Woozy is the worst of the worst! 

On 12/4/2023 at 1:43 PM, Kramerica said:

I think Robin wins it hands down. Wearing the worst costume ever Robin was so despised that DC Comics gave readers the opportunity to call a 800 number and vote whether to kill him or not. Of course he was killed.

I remember making the call. I placed it from my parent's bedroom. I had to build up my courage. :banana:

On 12/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, grendel013 said:

As a child (and even now as a man-child) this made me so mad. Even then I realized they swapped out Torch for Herbie because of the fear of kids dousing themselves in gasoline and flaming on but COME ON. All this did was make me wanna douse the TV executives in gasoline and light them on fire. FLAME ON!:banana:

Is THAT what it was? Wow. 

On 12/4/2023 at 1:05 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I just purchased Plastic Man #49 and was getting ready to post it in the This Week in my Collection thread when I ran across the Most Unpopular Super Hero thread in the Golden Age forum. That inspired me to start this thread. My nomination has to be Plastic Man's sidekick, Woozy Winks. His image has runied so many great Plastic Man covers! I was able to ignore it enough on this particular cover to still make the purchase. If you replace his image with a hot chick laying on the mad scientist's table this comic instantly turns into a comic that sells for way, way more. Am I right? Please post your candidate for the title of Worst Sidekick. Good luck beating Woozy!   

s-l1600.jpg

I think that each of these sidekicks served a different purpose. 

I mean, Doiby Dickles? Woozy Winks? These were just comedy relief and plot devices to always give the hero someone to save. It wore thin after a while. 

With Batman and Robin, Robin was always in trouble but eventually grew into his own, independent character...after being a damsel in distress for all those decades. lol

On 12/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, grendel013 said:

As a child (and even now as a man-child) this made me so mad. Even then I realized they swapped out Torch for Herbie because of the fear of kids dousing themselves in gasoline and flaming on but COME ON. All this did was make me wanna douse the TV executives in gasoline and light them on fire. FLAME ON!:banana:

I read somewhere that the reason was that the "rights" to use the Human Torch specifically were tied up at the time, like they were sold separately somewhere.  I assume to some entity that was interested in making a Human Torch solo film?

On 12/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, aardvark88 said:

Monkey Gleep sidekick of Zann and Zace(?) of the Space Ghost animated family.

"Gleek" was the monkey side-kick of Super Friends' side-kicks Zan and Jayna, the Wonder Twins. "Blip" was the monkey side-kick of Space Ghost's sidekicks Jan and Jace. :banana: 

On 12/4/2023 at 12:56 PM, grendel013 said:

"Gleek" was the monkey side-kick of Super Friends' side-kicks Zan and Jayna, the Wonder Twins. "Blip" was the monkey side-kick of Space Ghost's sidekicks Jan and Jace. :banana: 

I kowtow to your vast animation knowledge ... or better use of Google. (worship)

On 12/4/2023 at 3:54 PM, Axelrod said:

I read somewhere that the reason was that the "rights" to use the Human Torch specifically were tied up at the time, like they were sold separately somewhere.  I assume to some entity that was interested in making a Human Torch solo film?

I think you are right. The trademark was the real issue but all the school kids would make up stories about some kid in Omaha or Detroit that set himself on fire. Of course we also had routine visits from the Killer Clown and his pedophile Van.:banana:

On 12/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, VintageComics said:

I mean, Doiby Dickles? Woozy Winks? These were just comedy relief and plot devices to always give the hero someone to save. It wore thin after a while. 

Just like in the real world, life is also not fair in the super hero world. Spider-Man gets to save Mary Jane & Gwen all the time while Plastic Man had to keep bailing out Woozy's fat butt.  

Edited by O Doyle Rules