• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Kirby art results
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2024 at 1:51 PM, Shemp said:

The Jack Kirby original will go up for auction in the next ComicLink auction.

The Mike Royer recreation was offered on Facebook and is clearly labeled as such.

Ok. I was confused by them coming to market simultaneously.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:21 AM, 1classics said:

Sorry not to sway away from Kirby's DC 70's goodness and not sure if anyone's noted this one, but this looks to be one of the most expensive Kirby pieces that's come to market in a while, or at least that's come up at auction from what I can remember over the last year, of course with the exception of the Cap 5 splash and Cap 59 pages?...

ST Annual 2 Kirby Pencils & Ditko inks, twice-up Spidey / Torch page from the Jon Berk collection...This one should be interesting, projected $100k+, over/under?

stannual2kitby.jpg

I'll take the under.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:41 AM, tth2 said:

Reading ANYTHING scripted by Kirby is torture.  I always thought the over the top “dialogue” and over use of exclamation marks in 70s Kirby art was supposed to be part of the charm—so bad it’s camp.

Cringe-worthy, for sure.  Pass that tube of whiteout . . . *

*  :jokealert:

On 1/25/2024 at 10:17 PM, Bronty said:

True!      Anyone in the "Lee was useless and Kirby deserves all the credit" camp needs to be locked in a room with a stack of 70s Kirby and not be let out until they have every word memorized :insane: 

So true.  Whether Lee really created the characters or created the plots, his dialogue was essential to Marvel's popularity.  It's obvious from reading Kirby's work in the 1970s that the man couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:41 AM, tth2 said:

Reading ANYTHING scripted by Kirby is torture.  I always thought the over the top “dialogue” and over use of exclamation marks in 70s Kirby art was supposed to be part of the charm—so bad it’s camp.

Kirby’s dialogue was just plain awful. I find his DC Fourth World work extremely hard to read.

On 1/25/2024 at 4:55 PM, Michael Browning said:

Kirby’s dialogue was just plain awful. I find his DC Fourth World work extremely hard to read.

Yeah, I could never get into Kirby's Fourth World stuff!  I did follow Kamandi and The Demon, which I enjoyed.  Kamandi was undoubtedly Kirby's take on the Planet of the Apes phenomenon, but as I was a big fan of the original (first two) movies, lapped that stuff up, lol!

In the 1960s, Stan Lee's dialog definitely helped.  If you can liken it to music, Lee was a good lyricist to the music being composed by his artistic collaborators.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:42 AM, The Voord said:

Yeah, I could never get into Kirby's Fourth World stuff!  I did follow Kamandi and The Demon, which I enjoyed.  Kamandi was undoubtedly Kirby's take on the Planet of the Apes phenomenon, but as I was a big fan of the original (first two) movies, lapped that stuff up, lol!

In the 1960s, Stan Lee's dialog definitely helped.  If you can liken it to music, Lee was a good lyricist to the music being composed by his artistic collaborators.

All I could read was Mr. Miracle. 

On 1/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Going to sound petty, but it should be "IF WE MUST DIE, LET NEW GENESIS LIVE!" That poorly placed first exclamation mark is torture for my grammarian OCD. I don't think I could handle looking at that every day. It is spectacular in every other way. Well, except for the incorrect use of "- -" which should just be a comma; unless there is another double dash -- which there isn't -- you don't put in just one. Uggh. 

I don’t know if this is going to help, but try viewing it not as written word but as approximation of spoken word, which of course is what comic book word balloons are. Think of Mel Gibson, half out of breath, shouting every phrase in one of those melodramatic 80’s barbarian movies as he leads a faceless legion into a mindless battle scene. I suspect that’s more like what Kirby had in mind.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:21 AM, 1classics said:

Sorry not to sway away from Kirby's DC 70's goodness and not sure if anyone's noted this one, but this looks to be one of the most expensive Kirby pieces that's come to market in a while, or at least that's come up at auction from what I can remember over the last year, of course with the exception of the Cap 5 splash and Cap 59 pages?...

ST Annual 2 Kirby Pencils & Ditko inks, twice-up Spidey / Torch page from the Jon Berk collection...This one should be interesting, projected $100k+, over/under?

stannual2kitby.jpg

Which auction was this slated for? 

On 1/24/2024 at 1:21 PM, 1classics said:

stannual2kitby.jpg

I think $100K right on ..... no more or less  ..... but very early Spidey with Kirby pencils and  Ditko inks must be 6 figures in my book .....

On 2/22/2024 at 3:29 AM, Bronty said:

My gut says barely over 100k.   Not over 125. 

Yeah sounds about right. If it were a stronger page I could see it possibly over 125. I was going over the 3 Kirby/Ditko Spidey/Torch related issues, this being the larger of the 3 issues (18 pages) vs FF Annual 1 (6) & ASM 8 backup (6), so only 30 pages to work with in total. Furthermore a handful of the pages actually don't have spidey to keep in mind. Also, without question the premium pages go for the 1st meeting from FF Annual 1...

BTW- The title page to FF Annual 1 sold on Clink in '22, for right under $300k (still a deal in my eyes, I bid, but should've gone stronger a little stronger)... though still the title page, but the large title stat took away a lot of art, 2 smaller spidey images (1 back turned), nice FF group shot, but arguably one of the weaker of the 6 pages as far as content and art was concerned. With that said, I still think this page should go in or around the $100k range, more if 2 people really want a Kirby / Ditko example, IMO is the best combination!

Speaking of which if anyone has any of the FF Annual 1 pages and are willing to sell, please let me know. :)

Edited by 1classics

On 2/23/2024 at 11:41 AM, 1classics said:

Yeah sounds about right. If it were a stronger page I could see it possibly over 125. I was going over the 3 Kirby/Ditko Spidey/Torch related issues, this being the larger of the 3 issues (18 pages) vs FF Annual 1 (6) & ASM 8 backup (6), so only 30 pages to work with in total. Furthermore a handful of the pages actually don't have spidey to keep in mind. Also, without question the premium pages go for the 1st meeting from FF Annual 1...

BTW- The title page to FF Annual 1 sold on Clink in '22, for right under $300k (still a deal in my eyes, I bid, but should've gone stronger a little stronger)... though still the title page, but the large title stat took away a lot of art, 2 smaller spidey images (1 back turned), nice FF group shot, but arguably one of the weaker of the 6 pages as far as content and art was concerned. With that said, I still think this page should go in or around the $100k range, more if 2 people really want a Kirby / Ditko example, IMO is the best combination!

Speaking of which if anyone has any of the FF Annual 1 pages and are willing to sell, please let me know. :)

I agree with you that the FF Annual 1 page was a deal for the buyer. Appreciate your breakdown of the number of early  Kirby/Ditko pages.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:01 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

Going to sound petty, but it should be "IF WE MUST DIE, LET NEW GENESIS LIVE!" That poorly placed first exclamation mark is torture for my grammarian OCD. I don't think I could handle looking at that every day. It is spectacular in every other way. Well, except for the incorrect use of "- -" which should just be a comma; unless there is another double dash -- which there isn't -- you don't put in just one. Uggh. 

I had to stay out of this convo, because for me to argue with people who believe Kirby was a BAD writer and Lee was a GOOD writer would be like debating vintages of Cabernet Franc with a tribe of Cro-Magnons or something,

:shy:

...but I just happened to discover something pertinent to your complaint: the published version added a "--" after the offending exclamation point. This might be even more aggravatingly improper, but it does, I think, address the problem inasmuch as it tends to re-connect the two phrases as a single sentence. What do you think, better?

Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 4.34.58 PM.png

On 2/23/2024 at 8:41 PM, 1classics said:

It's interesting that most here don't see this as anything special relative to other Kirby/Ditko Spidey/Torch pages. I put a high premium on the beauty of the page itself (i.e., out of any other context), and this I think this is a magnificent page! I love the flow of the panels (esp. panels 2-5), the posing and composition in every single panel is excellent, and there's a magic to Ditko's inks over Kirby that makes for a very appealing Spider-Man. It's all action and it makes me smile to look at, even though I'm sure I've never read this comic. There's also something very modern about the way the page presents.

In contrast, when I look at the FF Annual splash page that sold in 2022, I don't see the same appeal. Aside from the typical unsightly stat at the top, I don't find the images of any of the characters particularly strong or appealing, especially Spider-Man. There's no interaction between any of the characters, and it's almost diagrammatic. It's exposition, not action. If I were a single guy with no family concerns like I was in my early days of collecting, this is exactly the kind of page I'd be praying no one would go above $100k because I'd love to have this on my wall.

Back to the topic at hand, Comiclink results:

Glory Boat splash: 48,262 hammer.

Kamandi 16 DPS: 16,250 hammer.

What do we think? To me Glory Boat was a good deal for the buyer, Kamandi about right or a little low.