• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So you're saying you'd still buy those books?

Also getting that info now before theyre sold again will give you pics to compare them in the future. I saved those screenshots, but eBay listings will only show them for so long. Then it is woulda woulda shoulda when they sell next and someone is left holding the bag @GDN @Iconic1s and since you liked his post, I'm sure those who can afford those books would do it. Ha I'm busy as well though so 😂

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

What's the crime committed here the part of the seller? Some kind of fraud, probably? It's clear something shady is going on but I'm curious what laws the seller has broken.

If you had read a few pages back, a lawyer chimed in with a laundry list of potential offenses, mostly Federal.

Those screenshots of sold, don't show the cert number, so now is the opportunity to go on eBay and do the work! If anyone is going to keep track. They're all above my pay grade anyway lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, Lightning55 said:

If you had read a few pages back, a lawyer chimed in with a laundry list of potential offenses, mostly Federal.

If you had read 1 page back, two of us already told him it was discussed before :baiting:

Spoiler

:jokealert:

On 12/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah that checks out, a listing from Feb 2016 and his account was made in Feb 2016. What I'm more interested in is whether the listings prior to 2016 are the same dude, because that means there was another account he was selling under at the time.

Well, all I can say is that the line "The $$$ and Hard work has already been done for you." goes back to 2011, as written, with the dollar signs and the capital H. His ads always seem to have some variant of "This is an important book" and/or "will only go up in value", blah blah. 

image.thumb.png.4c15a3f113b245836325208e3d9ad11c.png

On 12/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, JC25427N said:

If you had read 1 page back, two of us already told him it was discussed before :baiting:

Hide contents

:jokealert:

Yes, I just got there. The posts are coming in faster than I can read and refresh. 4 posts just came while I was typing this one.

But I do know enough to not jump in on page 48 with a comment or a question without reading the thread.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, agamoto said:

Well, all I can say is that the line "The $$$ and Hard work has already been done for you." goes back to 2011, as written, with the dollar signs and the capital H. His ads always seem to have some variant of "This is an important book" and/or "will only go up in value", blah blah. 

image.thumb.png.4c15a3f113b245836325208e3d9ad11c.png

Yeah that's good enough for me, I'm trying to see if I can find the ebay account from these prior to 2016 listings you screenshotted.

He might have gotten that old account terminated due to this line in those old descriptions:

image.png.ea2eacd706814e75cb6e7ca9ec51d957.png "And as always willing to do direct deals via paypal for those with excellent Feedback!!!" (realized that snippet was kind of hard to read)

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, Lightning55 said:

Yes, I just got there. The posts are coming in faster than I can read and refresh. 4 posts just came while I was typing this one.

But I do know enough to not jump in on page 48 with a comment or a question without reading the thread.

Yeah that's what I figured, I'm just busting chops. I took the advice that was on page 35 or so and traded in the popcorn for alcohol while reading this thread. :cheers:

On 12/21/2023 at 6:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those screenshots of sold, don't show the cert number, so now is the opportunity to go on eBay and do the work! If anyone is going to keep track. They're all above my pay grade anyway lol

I guess it's possible gpa will have it in the future anyway. :sorry:

Especially if you know what books to look for, like they did with the current "proof of fraud", nothing stopping them from checking qualified and restored books for them too. :)

Just saying. But I was busy and away and just responding where I was quoted. :)

.... The hulk was so recent he got it done all in one year, which made it "easier" to track. But I'm willing to guess due to the amount of volume sold, that he sent in plenty in one submission "even with the hulk 181", which would make it all just as recent.

Here's some great news.

A 9.8 Xmen 266 MJ insert minor color touch sold this month for $1,500.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/21/2023 at 6:55 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah that checks out, a listing from Feb 2016 and his account was made in Feb 2016. What I'm more interested in is whether the listings prior to 2016 are the same dude, because that means there was another account he was selling under at the time.

Since the culprit has already stated he has over 30 years experience with comics, it's not hard to believe that he was selling under a different eBay before. And if he was indeed using a different eBay that got banned, it's not unlikely that he'd be willing to use multiple CGC accounts to skirt suspicion for all the reholders... :ohnoez:

On 12/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm taking bets.  What is CGC thinking right this very moment...?

1) OMG, we were re-slabbing without looking at the books ?!?

2)  We've been falling for it for how many books?  How many years?

3)  You think Mike will get naked at the Christmas party again?

Good thing that isn't an official poll. You forgot the crack option ;-)

On 12/21/2023 at 8:04 PM, JC25427N said:

Yeah that's what I figured, I'm just busting chops. I took the advice that was on page 35 or so and traded in the popcorn for alcohol while reading this thread. :cheers:

This thread is so long and varied, it's grown into a complete wardrobe.

We need an Index of Topics just to keep it straight.