• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 4:39 PM, LordRahl said:

I know CGC bought back a bunch of the books. There was a list published of the suspected affected books. But after a year or so, people moved on and stopped talking about it. I'm sure someone knows more than that but good luck finding that someone and getting them to talk.

I’d be surprised if the micro-trimming ever stopped, and even more surprised if CGC would currently be catching it.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:37 PM, wiparker824 said:

This can be that and so much more. Restored, missing pages, coupon clipped, missing MVS, missing MJI, actually a lower graded copy, etc etc etc. A restored slipped into a blue label and sent for a reholder is just one variation of the possibilities this problem allows for. 

True but this seems to be an exploit of a loophole in the reholder process. Should be pretty easy to close said loophole. I'm not sure how many people actually believed that CGC could reliably tell what Ewert was doing on books going forward and I know he was still in the hobby years later through various shills. Hell, he probably still is. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, Matt1982 said:

They have used their records to identify every current and former employee involved in grading the ASM 252. They’ve interviewed those employees to understand what happened as the books were graded. They’ve also reviewed their security footage as that book was graded.

Fortunately a significant amount of investigation & discovery was done by the amazing board detectives or CGC would likely still be clueless. As far as interviewing former employees, they may not be able to locate them and even if they do they could tell CGC to pound sand just as current employees could do. The responsibility is on CGC to prove their allegations and nobody is legally required to tell them anything. 

On 12/29/2023 at 4:43 PM, LordRahl said:

True but this seems to be an exploit of a loophole in the reholder process. Should be pretty easy to close said loophole. I'm not sure how many people actually believed that CGC could reliably tell what Ewert was doing on books going forward and I know he was still in the hobby years later through various shills. Hell, he probably still is. 

The reholder process is what this particular scam artist used, at least for the books that were caught.  What Immaculate Comics demonstrated is that you could execute the same scam without going through a reholder process.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:53 PM, LordRahl said:

Anyone know approximately what page has the video that shows how to open a CGC slab without damage? Would be useful to me as I pretty much have to destroy the outer well to get into it. 

You can find it on Youtube... just look up Immaculate Comics. . 

Edited by EastEnd1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:02 PM, Mdesimone said:

All these eBay names are coming back to family members of the known scammer or scammers   some are abbreviated first and last names the rabbit hole is deep with this one

Were you able to provide the CGC fraud dept with the info they needed?

On 12/29/2023 at 5:06 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Were you able to provide the CGC fraud dept with the info they needed?

I did i showed them the name of the person I paid  and when I searched that name we get a bunch of names all associated with the suspect, so cgc will have to dig by running all his family members names