• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2024 at 9:13 PM, mrd160 said:

I think it is clear they aren’t picking up sales done a shows. All of this persons submissions need to be reviewed imo

I saw you mentioned that your FF2 is not on the CGC list, but that it appears to be swapped out.  There has been debate about whether the list CGC provided is only for books the scammer reholdered.  And also whether the scammer was potentially also swapping out books without sending them to CGC for reholdering by carefully opening them and resealing them.  Maybe this was a case where the scammer swapped the book himself without sending it in to CGC for reholdering.  Do you have any indication from the FF2 case that there was any sort of tampering with it?

On 1/6/2024 at 8:51 PM, pdags said:

If WorthPoint has a photo of a name, is that doxing?   I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, but the photos here are interesting:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fantastic-four-cgc-5-1st-silver-sub-2042389527

The other troubling thing about this listing is it doesn't contain the trademark "The $$$ and Hard work has already been done for you" verbiage. So if @comicwiz & @agamoto have been searching WorthPoint for that phrase, there may be way more listings out there that we haven't caught.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, comicwiz said:

That's a point worth clarifying. I have the entire history of sales , which I'm now cross-referencing with the impacted list. Having the two has allowed me to organize the sales history with previously noted patterns. There's an almost striking similarity with the way these books go through this cycle, but it's crucial that it's cross-referenced from the sales records. That's proven to the be most reliable way for me anyway.

You're way ahead of me! Thanks for all you do.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:14 PM, comicwiz said:

That's a point worth clarifying. I have the entire history of sales , which I'm now cross-referencing with the impacted list. Having the two has allowed me to organize the sales history with previously noted patterns. There's an almost striking similarity with the way these books go through this cycle, but it's crucial that it's cross-referenced from the sales records. That's proven to the be most reliable way for me anyway.

@comicwiz thank you for your service sir 🫡

On 1/6/2024 at 9:51 PM, pdags said:

If WorthPoint has a photo of a name, is that doxing?   I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, but the photos here are interesting:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fantastic-four-cgc-5-1st-silver-sub-2042389527

is that the right link?

All I see is the same copy of the 6.5 that you brought up before?

On 1/6/2024 at 9:51 PM, pdags said:

Pic #4 looks like maybe an attempt to get offers outside of the Ebay platform?  

On 1/6/2024 at 10:42 PM, Nick Furious said:

Pic #4 looks like maybe an attempt to get offers outside of the Ebay platform?  

How old is the listing?

I think the email address is a dead end.

I think it's partly relevant, but I don't think it's an actual name of one of the scammers.

This latest youtube video is on to what we think is the right track. He shows that to me around the 45 minute mark, but he only ventures in to a name that rhymes.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:44 PM, mrd160 said:

I just don’t think it’s the right thing to do. It would be considered doxxing so I certainly don’t want to put this person in danger. What I will tell you is I’m going to pursue this to the fullest and of the law. If it turns out the book is not as stated I’ll be contacting the local police station, the FBI, and will be seeking any civil remedy I can 

Did you consider the ramifications of sending it in to CGC for them to check? If they open it, altering it from its current state, it may affect its status as evidence, along with chain of custody issues. 

If you just want them to check and either reimburse you for value loss, or reslab if ok, then that is the right path. 

If you intend to pursue the seller, maybe the wrong path.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:59 PM, brute_nm said:

@comicwiz, @agamoto, are either of you able to find any of these prior sales on WorthPoint?  We could at least verify if the same book stays with the cert number.  The strange cut along the bottom should be a dead giveaway.

image.thumb.png.44faee408fc070647d9dea5662602cf0.png

image.thumb.png.27b2194bfb87e703ec32928e5d2978d9.png

On the back of the may 3 2018 listing, there is a comic connection sticker on the back.

ff2may2918bk.jpeg