• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2024 at 3:45 PM, paqart said:

They may have been graded at one time, but not on the occasion when they received a grade bump. If you buy an Action #1 graded at 1.5, it is CGC-graded. If you break it out of the case, it was CGC-graded. If you slip it into a case with a 9.0 label, CGC did not grade it 9.0. Therefore, in that holder, it is no longer CGC graded. Breaking it out of the original holder is like nullifying a marriage: it is as if it had never happened. Saying that someone whose marriage was annulled is now married to someone else on the basis that the names on the marriage certificates match, when the person involved is not the same, does not make them married.

The funny thing about your example is that something exactly like that could actually happen. I've seen plenty of golden-age books with perfectly split spines that are practically flawless. 

So let's say I took my 9.0 Action Comics #1, and popped it out of its case. I then did the same to my 1.5 and then slipped the Action 1.5 and inner well into the 9.0 case (or just put the 9.0 label in the 1.5 case). 

If CGC actually did what they say they do in the reholdering/relabeling process, my 1.5 Action Comics once removed from its original inner sleeve, would never have been put back into a 9.0 case.

Except, based on what we've seen play out possibly 369 to 2000 times, the people responsible for double checking my 1.5 Action was really a 9.0 failed to perform and I probably would have received a 9.0 Action comics #1 in the mail with a completely split spine held together with glue.  

Now that we know that CGC has been investigating, at least the internal scam, for 6 months or so, and two separate lawsuits have been filed, and scans were added to the "verify" module a while ago, and a note about counterfeiting was added a while ago, and a lot of attention has been brought over the last month, I suspect that CGC has, by now, figured out the scam(s) completely.

I don't think "we" have, but I think "they" have.

It is likely we will never be told everything they know, and although I would like to know, I understand that for many reasons they can't / won't tell us.

Through the last month, my mind has been changed on many facets of the scam(s) by all of you (hat tip to Comicwiz and Sledge).

I am now of the opinion that both scams were related (i.e. that the Terrazas' were the insiders that were helping the other scammers) and that CBS was also likely involved (if not the main scammer).

- I find it too coincidental that there were 2 independent scams happening at the same time that involved reholdering inferior books.

- I am not sure CGC would even file the suit they did against the Terrazas' if they were not looking for their cooperation with the outside scammers.

- The CBS heat gun photo is hard to ignore (along with their Instagram).

- Labels being changed on reholders without scans or grader notes being reviewed implies inside help to me.

- The reference to CBS in the filing did not sound to me as I would expect they would be referred to if CGC felt that they were innocent and fully cooperating.

I think they are all related to some degree, and CGC is working their way up the ladder.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, agamoto said:

The funny thing about your example is that something exactly like that could actually happen. I've seen plenty of golden-age books with perfectly split spines that are practically flawless. 

So let's say I took my 9.0 Action Comics #1, and popped it out of its case. I then did the same to my 1.5 and then slipped the Action 1.5 and inner well into the 9.0 case (or just put the 9.0 label in the 1.5 case). 

If CGC actually did what they say they do in the reholdering/relabeling process, my 1.5 Action Comics once removed from its original inner sleeve, would never have been put back into a 9.0 case.

Except, based on what we've seen play out possibly 369 to 2000 times, the people responsible for double checking my 1.5 Action was really a 9.0 failed to perform and I probably would have received a 9.0 Action comics #1 in the mail with a completely split spine held together with glue.  

This is where, I think, the problem lies, not on the definition of "counterfeit." I have a hard time believing there wasn't an inside man on this. The idea that out of all the people working at CGC, a random group of them would randomly not look at 369 reholdered comics before reholdering is hard to believe,

Also, I just got off the phone with my insurance industry friend, with whom I discussed this case. First, he agrees with you about the insurance payout I received for my stolen comics. He thinks there was something else going on that I didn't know about, like the judge was convinced by something else, even if not my trstimony, because, "not even the most honest insurance company in the world would pay out if they didn't have to."

Second, he thinks CGC is in bigger trouble than it might look right now. The reason is that there are too many victims in this case to effectively manage by compensating them for losses. It isn't a question of money, but willingness to accept the deal offered. I agree, it is difficult to get that many people to agree on anything no matter what it is. That makes it very likely that some will break ranks and sue CGC in a class action.

There is also damage to the market value and salability of the affected comics, which seems to have spread to all copies of ASM 300, 252, etc. That is harder to quantify, but the bottom line from him was, "Yep, they're cooked." Personally, I think CGC will make it through, but I am concerned about the possibility this was enabled by someone at CGC that purposely slipped the comics through the reholdering process without checking to see if they were the right comics.

• Administrator
On 2/7/2024 at 10:06 AM, comicwiz said:

@CGC Mike 

I think @HighGrade brings up a valid point here that is worthy of getting some verification from the CGC team on for the wider community to better understand the timeline of when this change occurred. It is unfortunate that we are seemingly seeing updates/changes to information which collectors rely on, and it being done without any announcement or notice, leaving some of us doubting even what we think has happened, or when it's happening.

The question specifically pertains to the following verbiage that is now appearing underneath the photos on Cert# look-ups:

"If the information displayed above is incorrect or does not match the collectible you are verifying, or if you believe that you have a counterfeit or tampered CGC holder, please contact Submissions@CGCcomics.com. To learn more about counterfeit or tampered CGC holders, click here."

From my perspective, I've been taking screenshots for posterity, and to track changes, for at least the better part of an entire month. However not all screenshots of certs I took had photos, and I also cropped out the area beneath the photos.

However, from the notation itself, there are several aspects to the wording that indicate this is something that meshes aligns with the recent actions against the alleged perpetrators of two seperate incidents, as outlined by two seperate lawsuits. The most telling for me is the use of "counterfeit or tampered CGC holder" as well as a link to the "counterfeit or tampered CGC holders, click here" linking to the announcement that was only made on Jan 3rd, 2024.

In addition to having some elaboration or explanation as when this notation was added, and when the changes mentioning "counterfeit or tampered" were added, I would also like to know if this notation was added accross all cert entries, and if so, when that happened. On the latter point, I simply want to understand if this notation was added just for impacted books, then when was it decided to expand it to all certs. 

Thanks Mike!

I sent a note.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:59 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I was hoping this thread would bring about a @dgarthwaite-migration appearance, but instead we get this…

That guy was awesome. His girlfriend was a supermodel, an airline pilot and her friends cousin sat next to the soundman for Jakyl. 

Will be in interesting to see what involvement CBS ultimately had, and how liable they may really end up  being. The pics on Instagram show lots of copies of affected books,albeit raw...

which begs the question- how easy would it be to produce inner wells that match the ones CGC is using? I cracked open an Avengers V2#1 recently, and was surprised how crudely the inner well was in fact produced. It looks easy to make.

Just a thought..

On 2/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, comicjel said:

- The reference to CBS in the filing did not sound to me as I would expect they would be referred to if CGC felt that they were innocent and fully cooperating.

I agree. Them mentioning the use of their account was in "violation" was something that stuck out to me too.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:12 PM, comeaux said:

That guy was awesome. His girlfriend was a supermodel, an airline pilot and her friends cousin sat next to the soundman for Jakyl. 

Holy cow, I had to access some ollllllld memories when you brought that up.

So where are we at @comicwiz on the question whether Riva and Zanello had inside help on their scam? I don't see any way CGC would let 369 bad reholder requests go through without checking them unless the comics were set up to land on  one person's desk, and that person was helping.

I see the connection you're making between the two scammer pairs but am curious what that looks like in relation to the reholdering business. At this point, the information released so far indicates to me that there was an inside man at CGC assisting in the enterprise.

On 2/8/2024 at 11:29 AM, paqart said:

So where are we at @comicwiz on the question whether Riva and Zanello had inside help on their scam? I don't see any way CGC would let 369 bad reholder requests go through without checking them unless the comics were set up to land on  one person's desk, and that person was helping.

I see the connection you're making between the two scammer pairs but am curious what that looks like in relation to the reholdering business. At this point, the information released so far indicates to me that there was an inside man at CGC assisting in the enterprise.

There would have to be an inside man, right? 

On 2/8/2024 at 12:38 PM, sd2416 said:

There would have to be an inside man, right? 

If yes, then while terrible, it would explain the failure in reholder process. 

If no, then we’ve got two big messes and failures that have hopefully been corrected.