• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2023 at 2:03 PM, brute_nm said:

As we approach 75 pages, I'm worried that the details of the seller and the scam will get lost in all the side conversations and bickering.  Here's my attempt at summarizing what we know right now.

I know this is a rapidly-evolving situation, and stuff will likely change in coming days/weeks, but hopefully this helps distill the thread down to a digestible level.

Fraud originally discovered and reported by Dave (@WestcoastDAVEngers, IG @west_coast_davengers) and Manu (IG @the9.9newsstand).

Rough timeline of events

Scammer's known eBay aliases and approx timelines selling on eBay:

• corner142 (29-Jan-2011 to 2-Mar-2014)
  • elysium142
  • zaneglor (6-Jul-2014 to 28-Aug-2022)
  • aureliaag
  • briva3 (25-Sep-2022 to 19-Dec-2023)
  • Comic Selects
  • azwildcatz520 (2018) UNCONFIRMED

reholder_scam_summary.thumb.png.ed1febfbda8ae2f4c12ebabbe935c887.png

reholder_scam_how_it_works.thumb.png.53a2f01ef8713cc071334ffc079fc88f.png

Proof pictures of Hulk 181's.  All these green label "donor books" became blue labels:

Other confirmed fraudulent books:

Thanks to @comicwiz, @agamoto, @THE_BEYONDER, @WestcoastDAVEngers, @sledgehammer, @Christophe9999, @Comics@mephistopheles, @Timmay, @AbsoluteCarnage, @bsmith, @Mdesimone, and others for mining data with WorthPoint, Terapeak, GoCollect, and CGC census.

Thanks for taking the time to summarize this. It’s appreciated.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:37 PM, comeaux said:

There was definitely an inside man and also an outside man who had special privileges at CGC above others. When he submits books for reholder, he doesn’t even send in the book in a broken/cracked case, he just sends in a book and a label and CGC does the deed for him. I can’t mention his name or I get another week vacation, it upsets the natives.   

The idea of this happening in ANY capacity for ANY submitter at CGC is beyond unacceptable. Is there any substantial proof that this is occurring?

If so, it would be a HUGE liability for the company as that's way too much trust to put into a submitter as ALL reholders are subject to re-grading and should NEVER be put into a new holder without any form of review.

NO ONE should get that kind of preferential treatment. NO ONE

Also, in no way should you @comeaux be subject to getting any sort of ban or suspension for mentioning this if it is found to be true. I'm honestly surprise we've not heard more about this because to me the idea of submitters getting special treatment and ignored reviews of submitted comics for reholdering is just as bad as the current scandal at the heart of this thread.

• Administrator
On 2/24/2024 at 5:15 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Also, in no way should you @comeaux be subject to getting any sort of ban or suspension for mentioning this if it is found to be true.

I agree.  The 2 day suspension was for posting an inappropriate image.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:44 AM, sledgehammer said:

Note the statement in that thread that @MasterChief noted below.

Yea, I mean,  "No, freakin' DUH!!". 

Is @ccgcollector, someone other than who has been outed so far????

There's no way that Zanello asked that question LAST SUMMER.

"Can a currently-slabbed CGC 9.8 book be submitted for a regrade?  And pre-screened for a 9.8 as well?

Let's say I have 5 Modern CGC books that are already slabbed as CGC 9.8's.  All I want to do is to have CGC replace the serial numbers on those books with new serial numbers; but I don't want to run the risk of losing those 9.8 grades.  I'm fine with paying reholder or Modern grading fees for this service.  What would be the recommended course of action to do this?"

Have to say, going to the CGC boards for info on scamming CGC itself is an "interesting" approach.  It does have the little issue of leaving a neat trail for the amazing comic detectives on those boards, however.   

On 2/25/2024 at 8:57 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Have to say, going to the CGC boards for info on scamming CGC itself is an "interesting" approach.  It does have the little issue of leaving a neat trail for the amazing comic detectives on those boards, however.   

Immediately after scans start showing up in the notes, the question gets posed.

Edited by sledgehammer