• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, comicwiz said:

So is everyone else thinking what I'm thinking -  those same grade dates!

What are the possibilities here?

The only thing I can think of.

The seller disputed the green label, sent it back, the stamp is there, and they revise the grade date's cert #??

On 12/22/2023 at 2:14 PM, sledgehammer said:

The only thing I can think of.

The seller disputed the green label, sent it back, the stamp is there, and they revise the grade date's cert #??

Does he have a remote to control all the people this had to involve, to get it done on the same day? I can't fathom the process being that responsive.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:53 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

Problem is that when CGC gets a reholder order they don't open the platic sleeve so they can't really see the book from inside to verify its complete , if it has MJ insert or whatever. They will  probably solve this issue by adding something in the plastic sleeve.

You sure about that?

Something I can't figure out.

If CGC is not opening the inner wells for the swap books during reholders, HOW are the graders' notes matching precisely on these fraud ones? And if they are indeed opening the inner wells to verify... HOW would they not see the missing pages or MVS.

Inside man adjusting notes? 

On 12/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, Christophe9999 said:

It would be great if CGC gave a $5 credit towards grading or something to return labels. Keeps the census clean and incentivizes people to return CPR labels. It's a win-win. 

Back in 2012 I sent a book in for reholder that was originally graded in 2002 and was in a first generation holder. What I didn't know was that somehow in the reordering process the certification number for that book got removed from the census. Problem is I didn't discover this until this year when I tried to look it up and nothing showed up much to my shock and surprise. :cry:

CGC tried to help me out but couldn't restore it on the census with the correct grade date (which was sometime in 2002) so now I have a book in a 2nd generation holder with a grade date of this year. doh!

On 12/22/2023 at 12:53 PM, comicwiz said:

Now look at the graded date on the blue 7.5:

Crazy-blue-verify.thumb.png.ca4573e483339b6ca23cc6f3fe2a776b.png

It could be that the culprit bought two 181 that so happen to have been graded on the same day - one qualified one blue - and did the switcheroo by taking the qualified 181 into the blue 181 slab.

Unlikely because they were two separate submissions, but possible.

Edited by Timed

On 12/22/2023 at 1:35 PM, Timed said:

It could be that the culprit bought two 181 that so happen to have been graded on the same day - one qualified one blue - and did the switcheroo by taking the qualified 181 into the blue 181 slab. Unlikely, but possible.

Different submissions, so that would be weird.