• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

Props to agamoto because if it wasn't for that screengrab, I wouldn't have been able to mine this as effectively.

This auction is from Nov 9, 2023. Look closely at those areas which I pointed out on the previous example in the qualified slab - top left corner, horizontal crease, and vertical crease running parallel to spine

crazy-5.thumb.png.9353fd0f28acc3fa1fe0c2070dd6b9f2.png

crazy-5a.thumb.jpg.3083867ffebfd8223d89015266b2365e.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 12/22/2023 at 7:08 AM, Iconic1s said:

You are correct, but this is just ANOTHER reason why the census is worthless MOST of the time. I’m not saying I have a problem with CPR, even though we know we’re “supposed” to return the cracked label lol many don’t.  This guy just made it so much worse though, if he in fact did keep making a 9.8 back into a 9.8, so he could fraudulently turn lower grade books into “9.8 holdered” books.  Purpose of CPR (I thought) was to bump, lets say, your 9.4-9.6 to a 9.8 and be done with it.  if the book’s previous label isn’t returned that’s a bummer but not as bad as this guy adding numerous 9.8’s using the same book.

You guys know as well as I do that we often times base asking/offering prices on census population… for anyone collecting the kind of books he targeted, that tool just became as worthless as a hammer without a head.

I still think this is all on CGC for providing this window of opportunity. I looked carefully at CGC’s description of their holder and label last night and if you look carefully it’s really all about “preservation” and “presentation.”  I don’t really read anything about guaranteeing the holder’s contents as authentic, more that the holder itself is authentic.  Very clever I think!

It would be great if CGC gave a $5 credit towards grading or something to return labels. Keeps the census clean and incentivizes people to return CPR labels. It's a win-win. 

On 12/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, Iconic1s said:

Imagine GM having a recall on every car they made in the last 20 years??

I predict...

CGC's eventual statement will be that there was an inside man. That way they can act as if the problem slabs are isolated and people think there aren't that many out there and it will blow over sooner.

I think they'll say that no matter what the reality is.

Also, it won't be their 1st or 2nd statement.  The usual revisions will occur first.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 12/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, namisgr said:

Fact finding wasn't an emphasis for CGC back in the day when they gave a high grade comic I'd bought off the rack, and so could guarantee with certainty was never manipulated, a purple/trimmed label.  I'd be surprised if it's become one since then.  Instead, I strongly suspect their lack of response is due to the holiday season, and a number of higher ups being already on vacation.

I'm pretty sure the higher ups like Matt Nelson were aware of this issue shortly after it came to light.  I'm sure the staff has a way to contact them if necessary.  I'd imagine CGC is digging into this, trying to figure out how this happened, how damaging this is and working on their crisis management response.

This is damaging for the CGC brand.  If there are numerous fraudulent CGC graded books collectors might start to view any graded book as suspect and value raw books higher than graded books.  CGC can't allow that to happen so they'll likely do what they have to to calm the waters and change procedures to prevent this in the future.  I guess the question is, is there any foolproof way to grade comics?

On 12/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, comicwiz said:

In addition to the crease on the top left corner, and vertical colour break along the forearm, look at the wrap - that white line starting from the top, and fading to around where the Wendigo is, it's the exact same book.

I thought the "calling card" would be that the certification number would be the same? Is that the case or do I need to refresh?

On 12/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, sledgehammer said:

Wow.

Great job.

Thanks, but honestly, if this seller did not make his feedback private, we would be finding WAY more! 

@agamoto deserves mad props for doing that screengrab, because it's the only thing we got now to peak back into what he's sold.

On 12/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, comicwiz said:

Thanks, but honestly, if this seller did not make his feedback private, we would be finding WAY more! 

@agamoto deserves mad props for doing that screengrab, because it's the only thing we got now to peak back into what he's sold.

BTW, if not already mentioned, the eBay seller of the 15.7K ASM 252 9.8 NS/MJ [i.e., Comic Selects aka Briva3] has no books offered for sale at this time.  I thought someone had recently posted a snapshot showing some of the many books he was selling. Maybe preserve that snapshot?  Just maybe.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, Pantodude said:

BTW, if not already mentioned, the eBay seller of the 15.7K ASM 252 9.8 NS/MJ [i.e., Comic Selects aka Briva3] has no books offered for sale at this time.  I thought someone had recently posted a snapshot showing some of the many books he was selling. Maybe preserve that snapshot?  Just maybe.  

100% my same thoughts!

On 12/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Christophe9999 said:

It would be great if CGC gave a $5 credit towards grading or something to return labels. Keeps the census clean and incentivizes people to return CPR labels. It's a win-win. 

Even a dollar a label credit would be decent incentive to return them I would think.

I think the potential problem you might run into though is people trying to fake labels, CGC would have to dedicate staff and time to double-checking every label they get back.

Edited by Number 6