• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you collect Tear Sheets/Samples/Printed Copies of Comics Where Your OA Appears?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a particular copy of a book for a piece of OA that I have - which has eluded me for over a year. It's a hard book to find in the sense that I don't think it was popular, and not many were produced. One finally showed up on my saved search, and I paid an exorbitant amount for something that is simply physical proof of it's published status. I'm actually embarrassed over what I paid, but I knew that if it sold and I didn't see one for another year or two or five, the decision to pass on it would reside in my brain pan - constantly nagging me over not buying it.

I have physical published examples of almost all of my art. Does anyone care or obsess about having this type of provenance for their OA?

Edited by Dr. Balls
Changed to "physical" published example.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:15 AM, Twanj said:

No. I save the file on my computer and I'm good.

I think because of my background in advertising - where I received a tear sheet or sample of everything where my art appeared (or when clients advertisements were placed), I think it's hardwired me to still seek it out. It 100% makes sense to just have a digital file of the printed example, yet I can't seem to accept it. I wonder if they make a pill for that. hm

I use to do that when I started collecting. Even then it was a nice to have and not a must have. So I would include the published page in the mylar with the art.

It's alot harder now that I have ~1,000 pieces :)

So now, I'm probably restricting to covers, I might get a cheap reader copy of any OA I have. I tried to buy a couple of omics the other day because I have the cover OA but I didn't buy them because they were't cheap enough.

Malvin

On 1/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Does anyone care or obsess about having this type of provenance for their OA?

I buy a comic for each of the published art pages I have in my collection.  I do this for framing purposes as I like to include the page (if it’s an interior page) and the cover of the book it appears in in.

Some, but not all. I don’t make myself crazy chasing them but if I come across a cheap copy I’ll add it more likely than not. Of course, some of the pages are from titles I collect, enjoy, re-read, so in those cases the books are here because they never left. But in cases where I obtain the art first, I can usually live without the book, though as I said I’ll grab it if it crosses my path.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

One finally showed up on my saved search, and I paid an exorbitant amount for something that is simply physical proof of it's published status.

Guessing... Christina Winters Agent of Death # 3 ??  for your Mannion piece ??

For oddball pieces, I will get a copy of the art in print.  For example, I was given a Tom Derenick page from Gravestone #1.  I had a passing interest in Derenick, unrelated to why I was given the page.  Bought Gravestone #1.  I have a page by Jim Starlin / D ick Giordano from a Radio Shack promo comic, Superman in The Computers That Saved Metropolis.  I think I already had a copy of the comic but instead of putting in the effort to dig it out, I got another one off ebay.  I've also been buying (usually more "modern") issues that contained art that I just bought for aesthetics, so I could see it in print. 

I have a Nick Cardy Lady Luck page from a Sunday Spirit Section.  From what I can tell, it's generally one of the oldest pieces I've seen from a Spirit Section.  I didn't know when or if it was published.  So, to find out, I commenced to buy all the Spirit Sections from that period.  Basically, I was playing "Battleship" to find it.  The Spirit Sections contained the lead story by Will Eisner (p1-8), 2nd story with Lady Luck (p9-12) and 3rd story with Mr Mystic (p13-16) by Bob Powell.  So I had a few Spirits with art from the tailend of 1st Lady Luck artist, Chuck Mazoujian's run.  All the Lady Lucks by Nick Cardy.  And a couple early Spirits by the 3rd Lady Luck artist, Klaus Nordling.  Then I decided that I "might as well" get all the Spirits from the beginning (6/2/1940) through Nick's last Lady Luck (2/22/1942).  I'm getting close to finishing that run.  It's been expensive.  Then I might upgrade.  I can't find the reference but I read somewhere that most of the real early Spirit art was purposely destroyed (not by Eisner).

Spirit Section, Sunday, Jan 4, 1942, Lady Luck by Nick Cardy

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1174799

Edited by Will_K

On 1/5/2024 at 7:52 PM, Will_K said:

Guessing... Christina Winters Agent of Death # 3 ??  for your Mannion piece ??

Still not yet, I wish! It was a copy of Skye Runner #3 Jim Lee variant that I have the cover for. I am still looking for Christina Winters, though!

I used to be anal about getting the book my art was in… now not as much. BUT since I have focused more on nostalgia I have most already lol.

its the modern art I dabble in where it gets a grey area. Covers I always get.. and like you had to way over pay for a finch variant cover I have , the matching book lol . 

I don't get them all, but I usually make some effort. For one thing, I often buy pages from stories I haven't read yet, and understanding the story increases my enjoyment of owning the art. Especially with modern art that lacks dialogue! Sometimes I read and/or purchase a digital copy of the story if a hard copy is not readily available.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:54 PM, RBerman said:

Sometimes I read and/or purchase a digital copy of the story if a hard copy is not readily available.

Ditto. Paper first, but digital is okay. For strips, it's often the only way.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:52 PM, Will_K said:

For oddball pieces, I will get a copy of the art in print. 

Same here.  I used to pick up copies of the publication for everything, but that can turn into a lot of books, posters, t shirts, etc. 

So, I also stick with the oddball stuff. One was the Comic Shop News Winter 90 Preview that featured an O’Barr Crow cover.  I’ve seen only two or three copies pop up online in the last five years. So, I made sure to get one. It was before the series became popular and not a lot of people kept the csn issues or collected them I guess. 

IMG_3247.thumb.jpeg.5ed73ed13159d7a988a88110234bb706.jpeg

On 1/10/2024 at 1:20 PM, The Voord said:

Nowadays, I'm mostly collecting original Movie Poster paintings. 

Do I collect the corresponding printed posters?  No, the printed posters are usually a lot larger than the original paintings and I just don't have the display or storage room for something approaching 100 (corresponding) movie posters, lol!, 

What I do collect, whenever possible, is the DVD or Blu-ray of the movies . . . ideally where the packaging covers replicate the movie poster images.

Here's an interesting one . . . Vic Fair's (at time of purchase) unused comp for CHARLIE BUBBLES (1968)  About seven years ago, I was asked to scan the original art for the cover packaging of a limited edition Blue-ray release over here in the UK.  As such the unused comp became a published Blu-ray cover!

hz5KLCBv_1708180810271sbpi.jpg

zD5d5BPf_2012180752151gpaiadd.jpg

That's awesome! Not a great analogy but sort of like a con sketch/commission that was later re-used as cover. Congrats again.

Malvin