• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KING CLUB
3 3

216 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 10:39 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Increase it. He fell below the standards expected of The Angry Vole Society in his response to your Beetle Bailey #66 post. It was deemed by their Continuous Assessment Team to be bordering on calm. 

Excellent!  Glad to see standards being maintained during the leadership crisis.

Off to work now, but if the postman is kind I should have some new books to share here when I get home.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:51 AM, KirbyJack said:

I want it noted for the record that I strenuously objected to the above codicil, and voted against it.

I second that motion.

May I call for a nomination from the floor for a temporary secretariat to conduct and oversee the business of the King Club in the interim prior to the annual membership vote?  And I would also move to express the heartfelt thanks of the King Club for the outstanding service of it's first Secretary.  May I have a Second?

On 1/29/2024 at 11:49 AM, Yorick said:

I second that motion.

May I call for a nomination from the floor for a temporary secretariat to conduct and oversee the business of the King Club in the interim prior to the annual membership vote?  And I would also move to express the heartfelt thanks of the King Club for the outstanding service of it's first Secretary.  May I have a Second?

Seconded

On 1/28/2024 at 3:43 PM, ganni said:

Why does the Phantom wears vertical stripes supporters?:popcorn:

tps3.jpg.8e2e3ec705e9a8a60bb9f88ba01c63f9.jpg

I found another answer, as the Nemesis set a fashion standard of black and blue stripes commencing in issue #154 (February 1965) of Adventures of the Unknown. I hereby present article "A" of evidence for the courts convenience. However fate being what it is, this is issue #155 from March of 1965. Which while perhaps not the ultimate conclusive proof of providence that I have claimed, I sincerely hope it is sufficient for the purposes of this somber inquiry.

Scan1373.JPG

On 1/29/2024 at 10:54 PM, KirbyJack said:

It is a mystery.

I know why have vertical stripes on my underpants, but I don’t think that would apply here.

8e0tnl.gif.2301bb1f827d377f7f073a00d8415dfb.gif

On 1/29/2024 at 4:32 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I made an interesting find in issue #18 of the Phantom. Not only is there a Flash Gordon story in the book but the story art was by Wally Wood.

phantom_18_PG16.JPG

:jawdrop:

On 1/29/2024 at 4:32 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I made an interesting find in issue #18 of the Phantom. Not only is there a Flash Gordon story in the book but the story art was by Wally Wood.

phantom_18_PG16.JPG

Looks like it's a three part story with the next two issues being illustrated by Gil Kane.  Now on my watch list...

Great - more comics to buy

On 1/29/2024 at 7:33 PM, frozentundraguy said:

"Great - more books to buy"  The collectors mantra

giphy.gif

Severe Bibliophiliac here.  I need to talk to someone...  No, nevermind.  I'll just get back to my reading.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:28 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Talking about more books to buy. I have added Flash Gordon #6 to my list, as the cover is exceptional and was drawn by Reed Crandall.

Interiors as well, I believe.  Got my copy in yesterday as well, same order as the Jungle Jim.  Just need 7 and 11 now, plus a complementary copy of #1 if I run across one.

Today's addition.

On another topic, can anybody verify that during the key 1966-1967 run, King only had 7 titles:  Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Phantom, Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Popeye, and the weird stray Jungle Jim 1-shot?

Phantom 18.jpg