• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 1
16 16

158 posts in this topic

I got the 6.0 on the first book but was a full 1.0 grade harsher on the others(I spent a lot of time comparing to my own graded books) and either things have become more lenient or I am losing my mind. 
-iron man - soft corners, abraded edges, creasing and wear across the top?  9.2?  I had it at 8.5

-comet I was at 5.5 but waffled with a 6. The extra stain and the piece out got me lower

-HOS I saw spine stress lines and some wear that I wouldn’t have thought to see in 9.  I was at 8.0

-fear 10- I thought the abraded corners brought this down but clearly I just have to adjust my grading  I was a full point under on all the newer books  I had this at 7.5

this was a sad round of 8 points

On 1/29/2024 at 7:17 PM, zzutak said:

I would've nailed Book #3 (Comet #1) if I hadn't assigned the book a one grade increment deduction for the "unwitnessed" creator signature.  If only we had been told that it was appropriately witnessed and that Signature Series encapsulations were fair game.  D-oh!  :boo:

03x1b.jpg.6ac27b969583fc5b86e0da6f3ca9e59b.jpg

I noticed that one too but I ignored it.   That book was signed in 2009 and that certification number is not found. Weird.

5 points,

2 bulls, undergrade by 1 on the last two.

but had IM at 8.0

Bad round for me. 11 points. Totally whiffed on the first 3 books.  4 grades low on the first two books. 2 grades low on the comet.  The HOS was a bull and one grade low on the fear 10  I was between 8.5 an 9.0 on the HOS and between 8.0 and 8.5 on the fear 10.

Now where to go but up.  Hopefully. 

• Administrator
On 1/29/2024 at 8:17 PM, zzutak said:

I would've nailed Book #3 (Comet #1) if I hadn't assigned the book a one grade increment deduction for the "unwitnessed" creator signature.  If only we had been told that it was appropriately witnessed and that Signature Series encapsulations were fair game.  D-oh!  :boo:

03x1b.jpg.6ac27b969583fc5b86e0da6f3ca9e59b.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 8:36 PM, Point Five said:
On 1/29/2024 at 8:25 PM, AJD said:

Did the graders miss the writing on the cover of the Comet? hm

Edit: never mind, I just noticed the yellow label! I spent a while looking that book up to check that it was not meant to be there. Not thrilled by that one, TBH

Agreed, ideally that would have been flagged. I guess I always thought all books were "Universal unless otherwise stated".  (shrug) 

Sorry guys, that was my fault.  I usually add the CGC books to my folder after a few days, so I didn't notice the SS until it was too late.  I should have checked for SS.  I was told in the beginning of these contests that all books would be blue label.  

On 1/29/2024 at 7:02 PM, JollyComics said:

I noticed that one too but I ignored it.   That book was signed in 2009 and that certification number is not found. Weird.

Another for the Swapped Files? :wink:

Racket Squad in Action #1: 5.0 — Was going to go with 5.5 but changed last minute.
Iron Man #4: 8.5 — Surprised that's a 9.2...
Comet #1: 7.0 — So close.
HoS #90: 8.5 — Kept going back and forth between 9.0 and 8.5 but made the wrong choice.
Adventure into Fear #10: 8.5 — 🎯

Total of 6 points. Could be worse. On to round 2.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry guys, that was my fault.  I usually add the CGC books to my folder after a few days, so I didn't notice the SS until it was too late.  I should have checked for SS.  I was told in the beginning of these contests that all books would be blue label.  

(thumbsu

Other than the 22 slabbed books in my PC that I've had for almost 10 years now, I have personally handled exactly zero other slabbed books since before Covid. 

b1e0f854-c6d8-4cd9-91ed-018f26a71c29_tex

Edited by jcjames

7 points. Only half grade off the first three but whiffed a full grade on the House & Man Thing. It looked way smaller to me. 

Edited by Cman429
Fixed score

On 1/30/2024 at 1:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

No problem Mike. I would still have got +1 on that one (instead of +2).

That comet book has massive spine wear on the back a large back corner crease and a sizable corner chunk missing.  I have some Key 5.0's that literally look WAAAY better than that book assuming you grade the back cover and front cover defects the same!  ARGH!   Also that HOS has an upper left corner crease where the whole corner was bent back at one point that breaks the color that is fairly sizable, that 9.0 grade ignores that all together, so I had that book several grades lower. :pullhair:   Seems like I have a few hundred books to resubmit for grading if these defects are going to slip by in those high of grades. :facepalm: