• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frank Miller appreciation thread - Show us your covers and share your thoughts
4 4

67 posts in this topic

This book has always intrigued me...

I am also surprised there doesn't exist a 9.8 yet. I assume it's because it's not that popular of a book to get graded? I know it's a black cover and there are only... "only" 5,000 printed, but that's not very rare. I stack this up to low demand and low awareness leaving few books qualified for a 9.8?

image.png.0648f23c5c2a8dad6c4824a8445fb2cb.png

image.png.cf8a2e6d338721cc2aa905349af9fe3b.png

On 8/16/2024 at 7:57 AM, D2 said:

This book has always intrigued me...

I am also surprised there doesn't exist a 9.8 yet. I assume it's because it's not that popular of a book to get graded? I know it's a black cover and there are only... "only" 5,000 printed, but that's not very rare. I stack this up to low demand and low awareness leaving few books qualified for a 9.8?

image.png.0648f23c5c2a8dad6c4824a8445fb2cb.png

image.png.cf8a2e6d338721cc2aa905349af9fe3b.png

Do I vent or not? lol 

Heavy Metal has been acquired by stores from time to time, and usually they themselves get it in a bulk purchase. One such store got like years and years of sequential issues, of almost decades worth.

Problem is they did their best to price it and I looked for this issue but neither I nor they could find it in the assortment. 

Is it also a variant cover?

I asked them once they put them in order of issue number to find issue #45 or whichever this is, and they still didn't see it, even though they had a long run.

:makepoint: my point is it has slipped through the hands several times with or without being overpriced and etc. 

On 8/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do I vent or not? lol 

Heavy Metal has been acquired by stores from time to time, and usually they themselves get it in a bulk purchase. One such store got like years and years of sequential issues, of almost decades worth.

Problem is they did their best to price it and I looked for this issue but neither I nor they could find it in the assortment. 

Is it also a variant cover?

I asked them once they put them in order of issue number to find issue #45 or whichever this is, and they still didn't see it, even though they had a long run.

:makepoint: my point is it has slipped through the hands several times with or without being overpriced and etc. 

I can see that. I hate when a book constantly slips through the hands. I have a few of those whales myself that I let pass me by, and they rarely ever come up. It's so frustrating.

This book too is hard to find on the census. When I look it up online, it's usually labeled Heavy Metal 183 November 1999, but there is no mention of that in the CGC label, and sellers often omit the Frank Miller component when listing, if they are Heavy Metal fans, but maybe not so much a Frank Miller connoisseur? I don't know.
It's an oddity for sure and, the question of if it's a variant or not. I don't know. I don't *think* so, but then when it's a CBLDF, soooo... I know them *for* variants... so maybe? lol, I am not much help.

So, I guess my overarching question is, even with you hunting for it, you still rarely ever see a copy even pop up?

On 8/16/2024 at 8:30 AM, D2 said:

I can see that. I hate when a book constantly slips through the hands. I have a few of those whales myself that I let pass me by, and they rarely ever come up. It's so frustrating.

This book too is hard to find on the census. When I look it up online, it's usually labeled Heavy Metal 183 November 1999, but there is no mention of that in the CGC label, and sellers often omit the Frank Miller component when listing, if they are Heavy Metal fans, but maybe not so much a Frank Miller connoisseur? I don't know.
It's an oddity for sure and, the question of if it's a variant or not. I don't know. I don't *think* so, but then when it's a CBLDF, soooo... I know them *for* variants... so maybe? lol, I am not much help.

So, I guess my overarching question is, even with you hunting for it, you still rarely ever see a copy even pop up?

Correct, it and others are in the, I'd buy that for cheap frame of mind. I like it but the iffy NSFW is hard to justify in the collection, even with a popular artist or so on. :makepoint:

I've even run into like the Conan Dark Horse #24 or what not nude variant, and I passed on it just because it would be a slippery slope and or one off that would look as an odd ball in the registry. But then time wanes on and I'm like did I do right by the collection and or higher power lol 

I've only run into it once in 8 years, the Frank Miller, but I still think this last time they had it, but they were unwilling to allow me to search everything. That and I'd better have the mullah $$ if I demand to look and find it loldoh! So I haven't pushed it :)